Skip to main content

"Big Brother: House of Love" confirmed for late 2023

🤮 @ "the House of Love" concept.

As for keeping an eye on the BBUK revival, I called that back in August when the casting call went out. There was no way they were going to let it go, have the BBUK revival go well and then have someone else swoop in and take BBAU from them.

Wouldn't surprise me if Seven only renewed it to keep their grip on BBAU so they can then potentially reassess the format after having a chance to see how the BBUK revival goes.

🤮 @ "the House of Love" concept.

As for keeping an eye on the BBUK revival, I called that back in August when the casting call went out. There was no way they were going to let it go, have the BBUK revival go well and then have someone else swoop in and take BBAU from them.
Well I replied to say Seven won't change their format. Having the show live probably costs twice as much to produce. It was always about the $$$.

😬 ...we'll see I guess.

And never trust somebody who promises they'll look at doing something who has had the opportunity to do that for a number of years and chosen not too.

And never trust somebody who promises they'll look at doing something who has had the opportunity to do that for a number of years and chosen not too.
Absolutely. To be fair though, they have had the "it should be live" pressure coming from viewers right from the start on Seven. So maybe, just maybe, they will follow through if ITV is successful. I'm not sure how well they'll do, though. I think it would have to be massively popular for Seven to be convinced. And that ship may have sailed. Or sunk.

I just don't think viewers are willing to give Seven a second chance, even if they somehow served up the perfect live series off the back of four series of awfulness.

I feel like this format will still absolutely do "well enough" for Seven's standards. It's filler, and at least it has some brand recognition. Old fans, and the types of people that care enough about Big Brother to complain online aren't the target audience.

Anecdotal, but back in high school, pretty much the only time I heard people actually discussing network reality TV was in 2020 when for a while people were actually talking about Big Brother. I think just enough of Gen Z/Y care enough about Big Brother for it to be viable.

Well I replied to say Seven won't change their format. Having the show live probably costs twice as much to produce. It was always about the $$$.

😬 ...we'll see I guess.
As Rison said I think it has more to do with keep the show away from someone else than it does with actually wanting to do it.

I feel like this format will still absolutely do "well enough" for Seven's standards. It's filler, and at least it has some brand recognition. Old fans, and the types of people that care enough about Big Brother to complain online aren't the target audience.

Anecdotal, but back in high school, pretty much the only time I heard people actually discussing network reality TV was in 2020 when for a while people were actually talking about Big Brother. I think just enough of Gen Z/Y care enough about Big Brother for it to be viable.
Keep drinking that kool-aid honey

Took the words out of my mouth.

Big Brother Australia is an embarrassment to the global franchise - the feedback being posted online from fans worldwide since the HOL announcement says it all - and, quite frankly, the show is well and truly dead here.

Seven have certainly killed every piece of new enthusiasm, joy and love I ever had for the show.

Good riddance to the next season, to the people who chose to be part of it, and to all those who somehow tune in to watch it. Adios.

7 definitely would not be happy to continue to receive current channel 10 type of ratings. That is why they changed the theme for this season to include singles and younger housemates, they want to attract younger audiences which are currently not watching their version of BB.

This is all that's really needed to be said. Anyone else more excited for Australian Survivor?
Not excited for either TBH. I hate this need that Australian networks have to do 90 min episodes of reality shows multiple times a week. Who even has the time these days to watch that much reality TV other than us reality TV tragics?

Not excited for either TBH. I hate this need that Australian networks have to do 90 min episodes of reality shows multiple times a week. Who even has the time these days to watch that much reality TV other than us reality TV tragics?
I find the 90 minutes are fun for Survivor. I'm excited for the new editing team as well which has allegedly been summoned. Survivor seems to do decently well with an established fanbase. General viewers aren't as unintelligent as many would think. BB is already out of people's minds. If it got axed no one would even notice IMO. Even the casuals can see how shit this is. Including the OGs this year probably did some help making fans realise (as Tracey Grimshaw once said) they had forgotten how good parts of the show actually were.

If Seven do return to Live in 2024, what scheduling seems realistic. Because it would be impossible to do a 90-minute/2-hour episodes 3 days a week with the live format.

If Seven get rid of the cricket (they've seemingly wanted out pretty much since they first broadcast it) could it in theory run up to six nights a week in the final weeks of the year once the AFL Grand Finals are done and dusted? Probably would only be eight weeks or so at most, but I'd take eight weeks live with an eviction once a week rather than eight weeks pre-recorded with an eviction every night every time.

Of course BBUSA and BB Canada both run just three episodes a week, but spaced out across the week. I think though Seven would be happy enough running three episodes a week they'd almost certainly be on consecutive days, and in that case you really need the eviction to be at the end of the week rather than the beginning.

If they could schedule episodes Sun/Mon and Wed/Thu, so airing something else on Tuesdays (or perhaps a companion show) they could have a two evictions a week cycle with live evictions on Mon/Thu and the Sun/Wed shows being the highlights shows which basically feature HoH/Nominations. That could work but means a quick turnaround in production - though I've no doubt we'd get a better and fairer edited show with producers having just 24 hours to work on it rather than 24 weeks. That sort of accelerated cycle, but done live, is also a good compromise between the "eviction every episode" format of the last three years and the traditional live format, which if sticking to evictions once a week may feel a bit slow in comparison.

Back