Skip to main content

Big Brother House Destroyed by Fire

Great post. Couple of observations - firstly how shit was the quality of video in the early days. It's hard to believe we ever put up with that.

Secondly though the difference between the garden of BB1 and the C9 era is just really telling. They did everything they could back in BB1 to make it not look like a set, whilst in the later series it's as if they did everything they could to make it not look like a garden. That's not just a Channel 9 observation - it's pretty much the case around the world, and although there are other reasons the show lost it's innocence over the years there is a lot to be said for making the house as homely as possible so the housemates do feel like they're living at home rather than on a TV set.

I also still love the Square and Circle house and 16 years on do not think that twist has ever been bettered. That was when I really stood up and took notice of BB Aus, and that twist was so ambitious no country has ever tried to repeat the concept of having a house that begins as two houses and then merges as one. Although a few have begun with two houses they've all basically merged by moving the HMs into one of the original houses.

I definitely prefer the C10 house designs to the C9 ones, It's also kinda interesting to see the original house without the add-ons of the arena and the bathhouse quarters beefed onto it. C10 was tacky but C9 was OTT tacky, the 70s kitchen from 2012 is more hideous than I remember. If we had a series.in 2017 that house would have been decked out like a Kmart Kris Jenner mansion. Gorge!

So the Queensland Investment Corp is actually part of the Queensland state government? No wonder they were too cheap to put security in place.

Also @ 21mins 20sec ^^
and @ 31mins
and @ 32mins 34sec

6 weeks to build !!

Wonder if Michael Bridges has any thoughts about all this

^^Only five of the cameras were remotely controlled. Bit different to the smart tech available today, in the unlikely event it ever returned. Could be made for a fraction of the cost now.

^^Only five of the cameras were remotely controlled. Bit different to the smart tech available today, in the unlikely event it ever returned. Could be made for a fraction of the cost now.
Mind you, despite home/web video enjoying high compression with HE codecs, with MORE cameras and 24x7 capture, HD video storage, some of the hardware might still cost a penny, unless you decide to archive all captured footage to a heavily compressed format - which would be well below expected broadcast quality today, no?

So government investment corp buys land from Dreamworld, does nothing with it and has no plans for it?

Mind you, despite home/web video enjoying high compression with HE codecs, with MORE cameras and 24x7 capture, HD video storage, some of the hardware might still cost a penny, unless you decide to archive all captured footage to a heavily compressed format - which would be well below expected broadcast quality today, no?
Data storage costs have dropped dramatically, but I was thinking in terms of the staffing costs with the algorithms doing all the work to tag all the (supposedly) interesting bits. Just as long as Channel Nine isn't setting the algorithms! You'd end up with a show of people acting up and performing for the cameras. Oh, wait...

LOL I wonder if anyone will record inside the burnt house, albeit dangerous, saying "This is where X used to be, and this is where Y used to be etc..."

Good view of BB's 2001 incarnation. Earnestly produced and rare in hindsight.

LOL at "producing the next generation of TV stars".... Blair McDonough and ummm.... ? ...before reality descended into mass production of common famewhores.... thanks Kardashians.

And what's with the closing footage to the video... context? Oh yeah, no context needed.... 👀 👀 👀

Last edited by a moderator:
Back