Skip to main content

Big Brother Cancelled... Again

I'd be surprised if it's gone for good at Nine.

If they had no intention of bringing it back, why would they resign for a year to hold onto the rights? That's just wasted money, since the Celebrity Big Brother idea was nixed before I'm a Celebrity even premiered according to recent reports, but the idea resurfaced for a bit after it got decent ratings for TEN.

Why do you think that?

Digital TV doesn't generate the revenue necessary to float the costs Australian-produced television; nor does it count towards the Australian content quota that television networks are required to meet by law.

Ever wondered why so much of prime time television is Australian-produced reality shows?
It's because it fits the parameters for Australian content; counts towards the content quota; and is cheaper to produce than scripted television shows.

Long story short; it's giving up too much for not enough return.

If they had no intention of bringing it back, why would they resign for a year to hold onto the rights? That's just wasted money, since the Celebrity Big Brother idea was nixed before I'm a Celebrity even premiered according to recent reports, but the idea resurfaced for a bit after it got decent ratings for TEN.
Yeah Same, if just wasted money if they kept it for another year. So I think there might be something next year from Channel 9, just hopefully its good! :p

Still, it's a side channel
it wouldn't get as many viewers as it would if it was on 9 or 10

BBCAN seemed to be doing well on a "side channel"... In fact it wasn't just a side channel it was a cable network...

Also as @reepbot said its demos that advertisers look at and determine what Nine can charge for ad space... Massive ratings do help but they aren't the end all be all...

What are you talking about? It's called cutting your losses... Nine have already got their money's worth out of the rights and its peanuts for them to hold on to until the contract expires... It also prevents a bidding war should they decide at the last minute to revive it...

Glasshouse?

Just about to mention Glasshouse.

#RipBBAU.... :thumbsdown:

I can't see The Glasshouse working well as a legitimate replacement for BB... I enjoyed it for what it was but the format is just way too simple... It would require a major reformatting if it were to be stripped across 5 to 7 nights a week...

TEN would be better off reworking the BBUS format and marketing it under a new name... Given the fact that Shine Australia have the rights to Talpa's entire catalogue of shows they could leverage that relationship and their merger with Endemol to scoop up The Golden Cage name...

Basically in that format BB becomes "The Voice"... The HM's compete weekly to become the "Golden HM" and the power to mark 3 people for banishment... The public will vote to save 1 of the 3 nominees and the remaining HM's will vote to banish 1 or the remaining marked HM's... Throw in food and a weekly luxury or prize money competitions and I think that's a pretty solid format...

What are you talking about? It's called cutting your losses... Nine have already got their money's worth out of the rights and its peanuts for them to hold on to until the contract expires... It also prevents a bidding war should they decide at the last minute to revive it...
They renewed the deal for an additional year. The original deal was for three years and expired February 2015 - a date we were given many times by @Goon.

If there was absolutely zero chance of it coming back, why renew it?

They renewed the deal for an additional year. The original deal was for three years and expired February 2015 - a date we were given many times by @Goon.

If there was absolutely zero chance of it coming back, why renew it?

As much as I respect @Goon he's not always 100% correct... That said the option to extend could have been picked up at any point along the way... Even if the original contract would have expired in 2015 who's to say the terms weren't renegotiated in 2012? Or 2013? Or 2014 for that matter? NO ONE has said Nine had only just extended their contract! And even if they did like I said before it's peanuts for them to just sit on the rights until they either expire or they produce a new series...

I believe TEN held on to the rights to Idol for a number of years before their contract lapsed... I believe there were also stipulations that let them hold on to the rights to BB for a number of years as well... It's really not all that uncommon for a network to retain programming rights for extended periods of time without exerising their right to produce a final product...

Get your head out of your ass..

Video killed the radio star (and drive-ins), smoking and drink driving laws killed going to the pub, big screen TV and game consoles killed Going Out, and now facile book, twitter, instagram, drone cameras and YouTube have killed bigbro.

Too much to watch, not enough watchers.

:)

regarDS

facile book, twitter, instagram, drone cameras and YouTube have killed bigbro.

Too much to watch, not enough watchers

That's so not true... BB is still a thriving concept in some parts of the civilized world... It's just the people producing the show are producing a show for themselves and not a show for the audience they want to attract... FB, Twitter, YouTube, or Netflix aren't killing the show... In fact with technology as integrated in our every day lives the way that it is a show like BB should be thriving... The technology that made this show great has never been better but those in charge have limited its potential... The fact that there has been so much wasted potential over the years has left a bad taste in the mouths of viewers... That is why the show continues to fail...

That's so not true... BB is still a thriving concept in some parts of the civilized world... It's just the people producing the show are producing a show for themselves and not a show for the audience they want to attract... FB, Twitter, YouTube, or Netflix aren't killing the show... In fact with technology as integrated in our every day lives the way that it is a show like BB should be thriving... The technology that made this show great has never been better but those in charge have limited its potential... The fact that there has been so much wasted potential over the years has left a bad taste in the mouths of viewers... That is why the show continues to fail...
CAN I GET A FUCKING AMEN?!!
tumblr_nckojmxGmE1rcnsrlo1_500.png

I can't see The Glasshouse working well as a legitimate replacement for BB... I enjoyed it for what it was but the format is just way too simple... It would require a major reformatting if it were to be stripped across 5 to 7 nights a week...

TEN would be better off reworking the BBUS format and marketing it under a new name... Given the fact that Shine Australia have the rights to Talpa's entire catalogue of shows they could leverage that relationship and their merger with Endemol to scoop up The Golden Cage name...

Basically in that format BB becomes "The Voice"... The HM's compete weekly to become the "Golden HM" and the power to mark 3 people for banishment... The public will vote to save 1 of the 3 nominees and the remaining HM's will vote to banish 1 or the remaining marked HM's... Throw in food and a weekly luxury or prize money competitions and I think that's a pretty solid format...
I really like the sound of that format.

I really like the sound of that format.

BBAU has over the years became a bastardized BBUS anyways... Switching over at this point really shouldn't be as offsetting to viewers as one would think... In fact I think it has the potential to bring more viewers in and the plotting and scheming that BBUS is known for adds a completely new dynamic to the show... Which is something that BBAU needs at this point...

Marketing it under a new name essentially cuts ties with BBAU and its sordid past and wipes the slate clean... I'm not sure it's going to attract huge numbers to start off with but it's a great opportunity for TEN to draw people in and build a loyal following for the show... I think the similarities in the format should be enough to draw in at least some BB fans... I mean The X Factor is essentially just a repackaged Pop Idol...

Reactions: Mys
Back