Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada: Discussion

A decent season but they screwed up the last week big time, pointlessly cutting off the live feeds and pre-recording the final eviction when it would have been much better to do it live on Sunday then let the HoH comp play out in Wednesdays episode then the finale on Thursday. The way they've done it means the last two episodes have been rather uneventful and anti-climatic, and they were so stupid to kind of pretend tonight's show was "live", but then make out the eviction of the 4th place HM on what is implied to be the night before the finale will be a huge surprise.

A decent season but they screwed up the last week big time, pointlessly cutting off the live feeds and pre-recording the final eviction when it would have been much better to do it live on Sunday then let the HoH comp play out in Wednesdays episode then the finale on Thursday. The way they've done it means the last two episodes have been rather uneventful and anti-climatic, and they were so stupid to kind of pretend tonight's show was "live", but then make out the eviction of the 4th place HM on what is implied to be the night before the finale will be a huge surprise.

I'm just watching as we speak... I pretty much gave up on the season half way through because I got fed up with the disorganization... I think overall I'd rate the season 7 out of 10... I think the casting was fairly decent; it took a while to get to know people but they've produced some characters that are now among some of my all time favorites... The drama although sometimes very instigated by the producers was there... And they did a great job giving BB Canada it's own identity...

However they went overboard with the twists and I'd say at least half of them were poorly executed... The feed blackouts as you said were pointless and the scheduling and organization of the broadcast show was messy... That being said the early US series wasn't perfect either so I do hope that the producers look for ways of improving in the inevitable 2nd series...

BTW So far I think they've done a great job with the final episode... And the modifications to the set really should have been there all along...

Having given up half way though watching the last two episodes makes me wish I hadn't... This really has been the first season in about 4 years that I've really been excited about... In fact I might actually invest some time in to watching the US series this summer... Especially if they've taken some pointers from the Canadian series... The twists may not have been perfect and there may have been a few too many for a first season but I think the US show could benefit from throwing away the rule book from time to time and pulling out a twist or two just for the sake of throwing in a twist...

I can't get over how much I enjoyed this cast from what I saw of them... There were some great entertaining characters and some villains that won't soon be forgotten... Even the blander HG's that stuck around were memorable...

My only real criticism is that they needed to crown the winner sooner and then did more of the clips packages with everyone on stage... But they are doing a separate reunion so I guess that makes up for it...

I LOVE that they did the YES challenge! And a version of ignore the obvious!

WTF is up with the vote! Topaz is crazy and made a stupid mistake yet again... What an upset...

That finale was a mess compared to the well structured BBUS finales of the past couple seasons ...

Spoilers if you haven't watched yet:

The jury made it fairly obvious who they were going to vote for whereas in BBUS they keep it fairly secret, Jillian basically said she didn't win either of the first two parts of the final HOH before they had shown the competitions, and silly Topaz making such a huge mistake! (Arisa handled it well though, imagine how Chenbot would react). And also, both Peter and Gillian came off as mentally unstable during the jury questioning. I really feel sorry for Gary though because he didn't win because of Topaz and her giant blunder.

I hope there's a second season because there's plenty of room for improvement in the whole show.

The finale was hilarious.
Won't spoiler it but what a massive ferk-up.
Will wait for discussion.

Too funny.
And a little bit sad 'n mad.

I love how it all worked out in the end - karma teaching the jury that they were a jury, not a witchhunt.

Once again though an otherwise decent show spoiled by some simple production mishaps - most notably crossing to the final three before they'd aired the first two parts of the HoH comps and them inevitably revealing who had won the first two parts. Also a bit to much filler at the expense of time with the final two - once Emmett had been evicted and they did the jury questions and final appeal the finalists weren't seen at all until the time of the vote reveal itself, unlike in BBUSA where they do remain involved with the chat between jury members and early evictees.

Overall though a good first season and if they are wise enough to learn from their mistakes (and quite simple mistakes easy to rectify) it should return in much better shape. I think Arisa has on the whole done a good job of running the show - she managed to make the finale feel much more like a finale than the BBUSA ones often do and actually handled the final unplanned twist of the season really well.

I just heard about what happened on ninemsn. It's one of their major news stories on the site today.

I stopped watching ages ago, but wow... I kinda feel bad for them...:eek:

I just watched the Final and OMFG I cant believe it ended like that. Pretty speechless and pissed off. What a waste of a series :(

^^^ what she said!

Wow! For someone to only be the winner because someone voted for the wrong person - what an ending! I wish the votes hadn't been so close, so it didn't really matter in the end. But to decide the winner? But I agree with them not doing a re-vote or anything though - that would have been stupid. Once you vote, that's it.

I was left feeling like the whole season was unfinished, and I couldn't really feel happy for Jillian even though I wanted her to win.

So I watched BBCAN1 and I did enjoy it. The cast was decently likeable, the only thing I didn't like was that the season was pretty much run by Emmett and Jillian but good job to them for doing so quite effortlessly.

Talla is one of my fave houseguests from International BB. Loved her. Tom is probably my least favourite of all time.

I wasn't mad with the result, I think Jillian was a solid player and I though it was hilarious that she won because of Topaz's accidental vote. That was so funny to watch and I loved her reaction and Arisa trying her best to just tell her to sit down.

There's one small thing that I loved and that is the numerous shots of Arisa in the camera runs or going behind stage. It's very Big Brother like to me, I love the breaking of the fourth wall and it felt like the show I know it to be outside of the US. More inclusion of the social experiment aspect than the US version. And I also love Arisa as a host, a lot more animated than Julie and you can tell she does really love the show.

The twists are better than what Australia offers, I do like that the audience is at least informed before hand and got a say in a lot of them. Topaz was fucked over though. I was happy with the change of the instant eviction format in S2.

Watching Season 2 now and I am loving it. So unpredictable and many power changes when the majority group is in power for too long. I plan on keeping up my watch for a while coming.

That is where being live is crucial - a twist teased at the end of an eviction show before it is known who it may effect will always come across more genuine than a twist turning up in a pre-recorded format, or unannounced during a live series (as the odd Secret Veto has)
Yep there really isn't any other way around it. I'd rather it be known to the audience and an underwhelming person receive it rather than a twist be utilised and held off for a production favourite.

Just like the fake eviction in BBUK7, if production got to choose someone like Nikki or Pete would have been involved in the twist. But having it play out live and organically just resulted in someone like Aisleyne being the one chosen. I'd rather the audience be made aware and an underwhelming result occur. At least it wouldn't be fixed.

I just heard about what happened on ninemsn. It's one of their major news stories on the site today.

I stopped watching ages ago, but wow... I kinda feel bad for them...:eek:
This post from 2013. 😂 What was this even referring to?!

The season 1 finale vote blunder I assume?

This post from 2013. 😂 What was this even referring to?!

The season 1 finale vote blunder I assume?
I assume that is what you’re referring too.

Topaz was an attention seeker… I’ve always thought that she “misvoted” intentionally just so she’d be remembered.

I assume that is what you’re referring too.

Topaz was an attention seeker… I’ve always thought that she “misvoted” intentionally just so she’d be remembered.
Well, it does now get mentioned at every - single - finale since. Haha!

Back