Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada: Discussion

Kingston

Canadian Royalty
I'm home sick today, so I'm hoping to find a live stream of the premier... I also noticed they've revamped the website today... The only thing I'd say the site is missing would be a floor plan or virtual tour... I also think Loft Story/Big Brother Quebec did a much better job of integrating their furniture sponsor...

The BBCA site is simply a slideshow highlighting items that can be bought at The Brick, where as LS/BB Quebec integrated the items in to the virtual house tour and you could hover over a dot to get more information on the item... That being said I think in some places the furniture looks cheap... I wish they would have gone with a bit of a higher end supplier... Although I like the idea behind what they are doing...

That being said I don't anticipate many people here will be watching, so I think a single discussion thread for the series will suffice... However if more people are joining later we can add another thread...

Just a reminder that this thread will contain spoilers... The general rule for spoilers is as follows; once a spoiler has been posted, any discussion following will no longer require a tag. If you do not wish to have the show spoiled do not read past the spoiler tag. Please follow these guidelines as no one wants to read a thread full of spoiler tags...

Here is hoping it's easy enough to find tomorrow. Looks like they'll be four feeds, so they're doing it properly and not the bare minimum. Really hope it all goes well for them - everything I've read so far from the producers suggests they have a huge amount of respect for the format so I think it should be treated well. Hopefully they have the budget to do the challenges justice, while any risks they do take with the format are well thought through and ultimately fair, and not compromising the format for the sake of compromising it.

I know some international viewers hope they'll take some things from abroad but I hope not really. The last Canadian series in Quebec ended up being a bit of a mess really because they couldn't decide whether to have the houseguests or the viewers vote people out, so it ended up losing all structure.

It's possible though they might take some tasks from around the world - I'm sure most will be US ones redressed so they appear new, but like all new Big Brother's they'll have that bible in their hand and I suspect they'll be wary of copying too much from the US, so may look further a field. Things like the Box task could be reworked for endurance HoH, or even Ignore the Obvious - have a few days of random events happening and then at the end of the week the HoH comp would be questions on what they were supposed to ignore.

Here is hoping it's easy enough to find tomorrow. Looks like they'll be four feeds, so they're doing it properly and not the bare minimum. Really hope it all goes well for them - everything I've read so far from the producers suggests they have a huge amount of respect for the format so I think it should be treated well. Hopefully they have the budget to do the challenges justice, while any risks they do take with the format are well thought through and ultimately fair, and not compromising the format for the sake of compromising it.

I know some international viewers hope they'll take some things from abroad but I hope not really. The last Canadian series in Quebec ended up being a bit of a mess really because they couldn't decide whether to have the houseguests or the viewers vote people out, so it ended up losing all structure.

It's possible though they might take some tasks from around the world - I'm sure most will be US ones redressed so they appear new, but like all new Big Brother's they'll have that bible in their hand and I suspect they'll be wary of copying too much from the US, so may look further a field. Things like the Box task could be reworked for endurance HoH, or even Ignore the Obvious - have a few days of random events happening and then at the end of the week the HoH comp would be questions on what they were supposed to ignore.

I think for me the only downfall of this series from a production stand point would be the producers being too scared to think outside the box... I think so far I agree, they've done a great job giving this series it's own identity; pulling in "new" or "borrowed" ideas and restructuring them in to something that still looks familiar to Canadian BB fans... The series for me would be a complete let down if that theme didn't continue...

BB Quebec was a mess from the start I agree... I think as long as the BB Canada producers understand simplicity I don't think they can go wrong... That being said I kind of agree with you that not much really needs to be borrowed... It's the first season and in my opinion that means they need to establish "the game" the way they want it to be played... Any "twists" should be merely to set BB Canada apart from the US format and be continued in to latter seasons... Not just one off...

Production values have been one of the biggest complaints when it's come to Canadian imported reality shows... So far I mean aside from a few things it seems like they really are taking that in to consideration... I think it's a fairly good indication that the challenges will be of a similar quality to the US version...

LOVED the Premier! I mean it wasn't perfect and I found a few moments tacky, however overall I thought it was Amazing!

The big twist:

The Red Phone in the storage room can ring at any time. HG's who answer the phone will be given a secret mission. If the mission is not complete or they are discovered they will be punished.

The HoH:

Suzette answered the phone and was told that she was automatically the first HoH. She had an hour to choose her two nominees.

The Nominees:

Tom & Emmett

The PoV:

From what I saw it does not look like there are any changes to the PoV outside of the fact that it is a different logo. The challenge involved the HG's popping balloons with a spiked belt. The winner was Tom...

The PoV ceremony and the Eviction will take place tomorrow...

From watching the live feed it sounds like HG's in the DR actually talk to Big Brother vs a producer with a name... Although I'm not 100% sure...

BBAD is also as I suspected is recorded from earlier in the evening and aired later... Although I'm really not sure what the point is as the live feeds are free...

If the fact that the website crashed is any indication I think BB was fairly popular last night... That being said I'm hearing mixed reviews... I've heard from a few people that the HG's weren't coming across as likeable characters... So lets hope they stick with the show... I found them to be slightly more likeable after watching the live feeds...

The replacement nominee is:

Kat and it looks like she will be the one leaving tomorrow...

Funny haha or funny peculiar?

A good opener and they did enough to set out their own style. The twist though IMO was a missed opportunity - they could have had much more fun with the concept of a Secret HoH and let it run throughout the week rather than just for an hour (barely a couple of minutes on screen).

They'd have needed to have the Secret HoH chosen in a less obvious manner for it to work but I'd have had them nominate in secret, with BB announcing the nominees. The Veto Comp would then be that the nominees and players in the Veto Comp (four chosen at random, which may or may not include the Secret HoH, though if she's chosen she effectively doesn't compete) have one chance to identify the Secret HoH. The first person to correctly identify the Secret HoH wins the Veto - and here is the catch. If they use the Veto they can choose either for the Secret HoH to name a replacement nominee - or for the Secret HoH to be the replacement nominee.

Doing it this way would have meant the twist plays out until the first eviction, add really jeopardy to the role of the Secret HoH, and also gives the Veto winner a bit of a dilemma too. The nominees I'm sure would put the Secret HoH on the block, but I've retain the option of the HoH naming a replacement just to give anyone else who wins it additional options rather than being a straight choice between a nominee and the HoH.

It had a lot of BBUSA maybe too much and a touch of BBUK. House guests seemed way over the top like contestants on Pimp My Ride lets be excited even if it takes multiple re-takes, thats how i felt :(

Funny haha or funny peculiar?

A good opener and they did enough to set out their own style. The twist though IMO was a missed opportunity - they could have had much more fun with the concept of a Secret HoH and let it run throughout the week rather than just for an hour (barely a couple of minutes on screen).

They'd have needed to have the Secret HoH chosen in a less obvious manner for it to work but I'd have had them nominate in secret, with BB announcing the nominees. The Veto Comp would then be that the nominees and players in the Veto Comp (four chosen at random, which may or may not include the Secret HoH, though if she's chosen she effectively doesn't compete) have one chance to identify the Secret HoH. The first person to correctly identify the Secret HoH wins the Veto - and here is the catch. If they use the Veto they can choose either for the Secret HoH to name a replacement nominee - or for the Secret HoH to be the replacement nominee.

Doing it this way would have meant the twist plays out until the first eviction, add really jeopardy to the role of the Secret HoH, and also gives the Veto winner a bit of a dilemma too. The nominees I'm sure would put the Secret HoH on the block, but I've retain the option of the HoH naming a replacement just to give anyone else who wins it additional options rather than being a straight choice between a nominee and the HoH.

I'm much more willing to look past the faults in the task given the fact it's the first time the mass Canadian fans have seen a twist like this... Now going forward BB has to be a little more tactful in the way he dishes things out...

It had a lot of BBUSA maybe too much and a touch of BBUK. House guests seemed way over the top like contestants on Pimp My Ride lets be excited even if it takes multiple re-takes, thats how i felt :(

Hmmm... I thought the premier was much better than BBUS... The cast was much more enjoyable last night on the feeds...

The audience I thought were the most over the top, I just wished they would be quiet now and again. I know nowadays they tend to be co-ordinated by the producers to cheer when they want, like with the Australian one too. But they were cheering virtually without break at full volume while the host was speaking even.

The crowd was my main annoyance, while I guess the trouble with the launch show was we didn't really get to see anything from the houseguests other than a few brief moments as it went from one set up to the next to the next without much downtime in between. That is no surprise for a premeire though and it really does take a good week to get any idea of who is who from the shows alone.

The audience I thought were the most over the top, I just wished they would be quiet now and again. I know nowadays they tend to be co-ordinated by the producers to cheer when they want, like with the Australian one too. But they were cheering virtually without break at full volume while the host was speaking even.

The Audience for the premier was a renta-crowd... Most likely made up of staff, friends, and family... The first round of publicly available tickets were released for tonight's first eviction... Hopefully they've made some adjustments for tonight...

The crowd was my main annoyance, while I guess the trouble with the launch show was we didn't really get to see anything from the houseguests other than a few brief moments as it went from one set up to the next to the next without much downtime in between. That is no surprise for a premeire though and it really does take a good week to get any idea of who is who from the shows alone.

This is my first experience having complete access to the live feed... The HG's are still trying to adjust to the idea that people are watching them... And the fact that Canada is adapting the show so late in the game isn't helping and the close relationship we've had with BBUS... Even watching the feeds it's going to take a few weeks to really see who is who...

I really liked the premiere hope BBUSA producers are taking note. The crowd was over the top I think but overall presentation the premiere looks very up to date in terms of visuals. BBUSA is stuck in 2005 in my opinion in terms of the way the show looks. Everything about it looks very high tech. The twist I didn't like very much they could have done more with it. But I am thinking they needed to get 1 out quickly since they are using the 10 Week schedule which means double evictions. I wonder if they will use the double elimination week style or the fast forward style.

I am already loving Arisa as host I think she did a pretty good job last night.

I am shocked that cursing was allowed on the Global feed when the show was rated PG. <-- A little of topic there

Slice is on cable and the show features a warning it may contain content for mature audiences, so hopefully when necessary they won't have to censor certain things. That said though despite generally airing at 9pm/10pm the show is repeated numerous times throughout the day (looking at the Slice schedule I think the premiere has been repeated 4 times today), and I suspect even though Slice is on cable they'll be wary that the US version does appeal to young viewers so will take in to consideration they'll be interested in BB Canada to.

Slice is on cable and the show features a warning it may contain content for mature audiences, so hopefully when necessary they won't have to censor certain things. That said though despite generally airing at 9pm/10pm the show is repeated numerous times throughout the day (looking at the Slice schedule I think the premiere has been repeated 4 times today), and I suspect even though Slice is on cable they'll be wary that the US version does appeal to young viewers so will take in to consideration they'll be interested in BB Canada to.

US networks are really only interested in importing our scripted shows... And given that CANADA is plastered all over this show it's unlikely they'll want it...

So to summarise the first eviction show:

Tom Vetoed himself, with Suzette nominating Kat as a replacement.
They had a task for alcohol where they had to be handcuffed to each other for a day.

Kat was evicted by 11-1 in a live vote. A new HoH comp began called "Lumber Jack and Jill", which was still in progress at the end of the show.

And the eventual HoH winner is:
Jillian

Rather strangely the live eviction wasn't live - it was recorded around four hours earlier with feeds going to FOTH, but then back afterwards which saw the HoH Comp playing out before the eviction was broadcast. They then went blank when Slice were broadcasting the show recorded earlier (complete with the biggest DOG/Watermark in the world!), and by the time they came back the HoH was done and dusted. Pretty stupid move IMO as surely these continuing HoH endurance comps are there to drive people to the live feeds.

So to summarise the first eviction show:

Tom Vetoed himself, with Suzette nominating Kat as a replacement.
They had a task for alcohol where they had to be handcuffed to each other for a day.

Kat was evicted by 11-1 in a live vote. A new HoH comp began called "Lumber Jack and Jill", which was still in progress at the end of the show.

And the eventual HoH winner is:
Jillian

Rather strangely the live eviction wasn't live - it was recorded around four hours earlier with feeds going to FOTH, but then back afterwards which saw the HoH Comp playing out before the eviction was broadcast. They then went blank when Slice were broadcasting the show recorded earlier (complete with the biggest DOG/Watermark in the world!), and by the time they came back the HoH was done and dusted. Pretty stupid move IMO as surely these continuing HoH endurance comps are there to drive people to the live feeds.

I believe the HoH competition was taped and aired on BBAD... The fact that it was shown on the feeds I believe must have been a slip up as it was only shown for about 10 minutes... And btw the HoH competition while looked cheap... From what I saw on the feeds the "trees" seemed to shake and weren't secured properly... I also believe they really should have constructed a small challenge arena as the current space really doesn't seem large enough, and it would give them a lot more time to construct sets worth playing on.

I was watching the feeds yesterday before they were cut and all of the HG's knew that the "first" HoH would be physical based on what they knew of the US format... IMO they really need to start shaking things up so that things aren't so predictable... This is a format "based" on the US format NOT a carbon copy... It's upsetting to see them go to great lengths in visually giving this show a different look and feel, and then in terms of game play it being nothing more than a cheap rip-off...

I LOVE the theme and the titles though!!! I also like the idea of the food/Have/Have Not/Luxury competitions being more of a task than a competition... The only downfall in the handcuff task I saw was that they were in fact too close together... They needed at least 2 or 3 feet of chain between them IMO...

I ended up skipping rim-job they gave Dan at the end of the show... Hopefully that NEVER happens again... It did nothing accept solidify the relationship between the two shows, when at this point the Canadian producers should now start cutting the cord and going off in their own direction...

Last edited:
Back