Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada 9 - begins March 3rd

I've been saying for years that Big Brother should do a Secret HoH twist where the HoH is unknown to the house and finally it's being done in Canada as the Invisible HoH.

Without spoilers, I’m curious to know how this season is holding up so far in comparison to the last two?

It's pretty decent - really benefitting from not having a big alliance dominating and there are numerous obvious duos in the game, with no solid alliance of more than 4 people. It could probably do with power swinging in the other direction for a week or two, but on the whole it's a good cast and been entertaining enough, but not really had it's big defining moment yet. Probably the best North American season since BB20 USA in 2018 IMO.

I've been saying for years that Big Brother should do a Secret HoH twist where the HoH is unknown to the house and finally it's being done in Canada as the Invisible HoH.
that was good,especially since the HOH was clever enough to put themselves on slop as well ,although putting the nominees on slop too was diabolical

It didn't come across in the edit but everyone knew who it was from the moment she did that really. She completely overplayed her part.

In theory though it was a good move to try and play it as if you're pinning it on someone else and also not to go for the obvious targets, leaving them in for when you're not immune the following week.

I do think though it would have worked better as a week one twist when nobody really knows where anyone stands. TBH though it fell a bit flat - it needed the jeopardy of there being a consequence to the HoH being found out.

Yes - that's the plan anyway.

Double eviction this week - probably predictable as they often do them the first week of jury. BB Canada always flies by running for just 9-10 weeks, but that is it's advantage. Glad they scaled back slightly this year to 14 contestants too - think that means this will be the only double eviction, with the "surprise" eviction at the same point as it is every year in the final week.

I finally managed to finish my binge of seasons 1 through 8 (and ohh man, how difficult it was to get through those last two... especially season 7... oh season 7...).

For the most part I have thoroughly enjoyed BBCA but it’s definitely lost its sheen recently. I still think it’s one of the best currently running versions of the show though. There’s also a lot that BBAU could learn from this version, that’s for sure.

But anyway, I’m still contemplating whether I should play catch-up with season 9 or wait it out. Part of me would like to at least be able to watch the finale in real-time as one of the things I liked least about watching the show in retrospect is already knowing the winner (I had accidentally spoiled 4 of the 7 winners prior to watching). But in saying that, I’m a little BB fatigued at the moment so we’ll see, lol.

I finally managed to finish my binge of seasons 1 through 8 (and ohh man, how difficult it was to get through those last two... especially season 7... oh season 7...).

For the most part I have thoroughly enjoyed BBCA but it’s definitely lost its sheen recently. I still think it’s one of the best currently running versions of the show though. There’s also a lot that BBAU could learn from this version, that’s for sure.

But anyway, I’m still contemplating whether I should play catch-up with season 9 or wait it out. Part of me would like to at least be able to watch the finale in real-time as one of the things I liked least about watching the show in retrospect is already knowing the winner (I had accidentally spoiled 4 of the 7 winners prior to watching). But in saying that, I’m a little BB fatigued at the moment so we’ll see, lol.
I’d say we’re far enough in to the series that you’d get a good binge going before you’re caught up and then just binge the week when you have a few hours on a day off.

Well you've 4 weeks to catch up - only takes a couple of hours to watch each week and just 10 weeks in a BBCan season.

It has certainly lost it's shine in recent years - I think BB5 was the last great season. I rewatched BB1-3 last year and really enjoyed them but I think the 5th is the only other one I might rewatch.

For me the 6th season missed so many opportunities with the Heaven and Hell twist had they run with it beyond a week. They could have really bought the Rich/Poor format used so widely internationally and really ran with it in the North American format, but just like the Teams this year they dropped it at the first opportunity. It has somewhat lost it's nerve in recent years - in the first few years they were willing to try things the US version never would and were all the better for it but they've become so much more risk averse lately.

Okay, so season 9 has had some of the best gameplay in years. Finally.

As much as I’ve enjoyed Victoria for most of the season, she totally deserved that blindside after not taking a shot at the boys last week.

Nooo!
Trust the fake double eviction to happen in the week when the Isosceles alliance is most likely to be broken up. 😒

Yes, that's annoying. They don't really need to do it as well - just means they'll have to do a real double eviction the week after.

The fake double eviction really killed this weeks show IMO - just really bad timing that the week they planned to do it was the most interesting eviction in years and we really could have done with it proceeding as normal and having the evictee interviewed immediately. As things stand they'll either return to the game or go to the jury house without a proper interview - and certainly without the interview in the heat of the moment.

It really is the sort of twist which would sit better earlier in the season - should have been done with 10 HMs remaining so the winner of it gets back in the house and guarantees themselves a place on jury and the loser is evicted and sent home early.

Last edited:
Block the feeds all weekend so the outcome doesn't get spoilered - then they spoiler it themselves with an updated winners package featuring the final 5 airing half way through the battle back competition. And not only that, this whole twist, which in the end was pretty pointless, meant they sacrificed potentially their most interesting eviction interview of the series. OK, granted they put it online and Jed wasn't that interesting, but then he'd had time to chill out by then rather than being caught in the moment.

Back