Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada 10 - starts March 2nd

I don’t know why for one night a year Global can’t preempt it’s US programming and give BBCAN a 90 minute premiere. I’d already watched the intro packages so I don’t feel the premiere really had much to offer. That said the pacing of the episode albeit fast wasn’t bad. The theme is pretty meh but will work with what they’re going for. I like that they’re paying homage to past series in a subtle way. Should be interesting to see how and what they do moving forward.

Also felt really flat given Canada are still treating covid as a deadly threat rather than pretending it doesn't exist and returning to normal. Having just about got used to shows over here without distancing and with an audience again seeing the HGs masked up and no audience at all felt really flat.

Ultimately I think in a two-episode eviction cycle you really need to get to the nominations in the first. Leaving everything to the second episode leaves that episode feeling quite rushed and arguably the premiere somewhat unfinished. It seems to vary from year to year how they split it - some years I think they've got as far as including the Veto on opening night too.

I like though that they are having nods to previous seasons and the phone was clearly a nod to series 1, and just as underwhelming as it was back then too. Not a huge fan of "safety" being given out so freely in the HoH comp too - could have had some more interesting alternative prizes too - indeed maybe giving one the power of Veto, which yes I know is safety, sorts out the issue of squeezing too much in episode 2. A cash prize would have been interesting too as winning cash can often be used to justify booting someone out.

IMO safety was the best choice of prize if there needed to be something won. Given that it was pure luck giving cash or a prize could really blow up someone’s game. I would have made one of the “prizes” a punishment rather than safety.

As for the nods to past twists hopefully they stick with keeping it a loose interpretation rather than a direct copy. I see a lot of speculation on Twitter about what twists they could use and while they’re all great twists it would be nice to see a fresh take rather than recycling for the sake of nostalgia.

Agree - just copying them is a bit dull. Have we seen the Have Not room yet - indeed I've not seen the ET House Tour so will see if I can find it now.

I did quite like the blatant product placement with an Insurance company sponsoring the "Safety", but they could have had a bit more fun with that in it not being for week 1 by default and the holder able to decide whether to use it now or cash it in later, with the caveat the choice each week must be used either before the nominations or Veto ceremony, but it cannot be used once you're on the block.

Here is the tour:

Must say as much as I've loved how BB Canada changes the house (and set) drastically every year nowadays the question of sustainability and how environmentally friendly that process is has to be asked too. This house doesn't feel very eco-friendly at all.

They've also uploaded the full programme:

Agree - just copying them is a bit dull. Have we seen the Have Not room yet - indeed I've not seen the ET House Tour so will see if I can find it now.

I did quite like the blatant product placement with an Insurance company sponsoring the "Safety", but they could have had a bit more fun with that in it not being for week 1 by default and the holder able to decide whether to use it now or cash it in later, with the caveat the choice each week must be used either before the nominations or Veto ceremony, but it cannot be used once you're on the block.
Having three safeties would have been too many especially if there are more powers coming in the next few weeks. I would have made the phone call have the ability to use their safety whenever but the other two should be just for the first week.

I’m curious… One thing that keeps me from keeping up with BBCAN is that if I don’t catch the show live I have to wait until the next morning to stream the episode or find a source that uploads the episode in a reasonable amount of time. In other parts of the world is there a delay for catch-up streams or are they available immediately? Canada does tend to lag behind in terms of cord cutting.

I’m curious… One thing that keeps me from keeping up with BBCAN is that if I don’t catch the show live I have to wait until the next morning to stream the episode or find a source that uploads the episode in a reasonable amount of time. In other parts of the world is there a delay for catch-up streams or are they available immediately? Canada does tend to lag behind in terms of cord cutting.
I personally prefer to watch via “other means”, so I can usually obtain the episodes about an hour after it airs over there. Besides, I hate the 7Plus app and wouldn’t be able to sit through the ads anyway… in saying that, I’ve just checked the app for you and it doesn’t seem like they’re showing season 10 here at all (only season 9 is available). 🤔

Okay, so two episodes in and the series is kinda giving me BBAU vibes in terms of how much money and prizes they’re already giving away to the HGs for pretty much no reason… can’t say I’m a fan of this.

I personally prefer to watch via “other means”, so I can usually obtain the episodes about an hour after it airs over there. Besides, I hate the 7Plus app and wouldn’t be able to sit through the ads anyway… in saying that, I’ve just checked the app for you and it doesn’t seem like they’re showing season 10 here at all (only season 9 is available). 🤔
Send me your source.

The US is generally next day too from what I've seen. In the UK recorded series usually go up immediately after broadcast but a quick turnaround or live show will take a little bit longer, but usually up the same night.

Ten series in and the second episode eviction is never great TV - it's too rushed and you don't know anyone enough to care - the first cycle could easily play out over 5 episodes (as it used too in the US) rather than 2 by having the noms, Veto and Veto Ceremony split over episodes 2-4. Or at least bump the first eviction to episode 3 - less of an issue the next one being done over 2 eps IMO.

As for the house - did look like the diary room corridor had been extended so the DR being further back than it used to be, although we then did get to see the doors directly between which for now at least only had a wall behind them rather than a room. Would be good if they did a triple eviction at some point and then put an evictee behind each door, with the picked door evictee getting to return.

Okay, so two episodes in and the series is kinda giving me BBAU vibes in terms of how much money and prizes they’re already giving away to the HGs for pretty much no reason… can’t say I’m a fan of this.
I agree not a huge fan of BB handing out prizes left and right. Especially for surviving eviction.

I agree not a huge fan of BB handing out prizes left and right. Especially for surviving eviction.
Could be a good thing, as it’s a slight incentivise for people to go on the block. Best case scenario, the “other” nominee getting advantages for surviving eviction reduces the chances of a steamroll and forces the HoH to reconsider who they put up.

Could be a good thing, as it’s a slight incentivise for people to go on the block. Best case scenario, the “other” nominee getting advantages for surviving eviction reduces the chances of a steamroll and forces the HoH to reconsider who they put up.
No

Yes - I don't mind the odd prize but throwing money around too often gets tiresome. Sometimes smaller in house prizes can be just as effective too - indeed hope one of their throwbacks is to the Hungover HoH challenge.

I don’t understand why Marty would go on the show and not feel comfortable having conversations in English.

Maybe now he'll be famous enough to get on the Quebec version. I quite like the multi-language aspect - Canada, or parts of it, are bilingual after all, so it's nice that's reflected and there are at least two others fluent in French who can communicate with him. We saw it back in BB5 with Will too.

Also nice to see the blue and yellow touches in the house. A subtle but appropriate nod.

Last edited:
Maybe now he'll be famous enough to get on the Quebec version. I quite like the multi-language aspect - Canada, or parts of it, are bilingual after all, so it's nice that's reflected and there are at least two others fluent in French who can communicate with him. We saw it back in BB5 with Will too.

Also nice to see the blue and yellow touches in the house. A subtle but appropriate nod.
I’m not bothered by him being bilingual or speaking in French on the show but at one point in the episode Gino says something about Marty having conversations in English and feeling uncomfortable if he has to do it for too long.

Although that was likely partly gameplay crossed with a bit of showing off to his potential showmance on Gino's part.

Although that was likely partly gameplay crossed with a bit of showing off to his potential showmance on Gino's part.
Overall he doesn’t seem very confident in his English despite the fact that he speaks it pretty well. It may be his comprehension drops a bit when people are speaking too fast as I caught a bit of a conversation on the live feeds about it.

The way it came across on the show kind of felt like he’s relying on the French speakers a little too much. People have been making an effort to improve their French and it comes across as if he’s not really making the same effort.

Back