Skip to main content

Big Brother Australia Memorabilia and Articles Thread

Afflllate

So Came across a lot of my old scanned articles and stuff (as well as saved a lot of the BBBA Podcasts from 2006-2008, I'm gradually uploading those to Soundcloud in a separate thread), Thought it would be good to revisit by re sharing here. May do it bit gradually can have a comment on some as I go.

First of all... the Sticker sets from the BB2001 and BB2002 Soundtrack CD Albums!

img161.jpg

About the Auditions process for BB2003:

img162.jpg

Some Rumours about BB2003 (Cornettos over the Fence? Trinkets in the walls were cameras?):

img163.jpg

the Nokia SMS code would've been during/just before the 'Polyphonic ringtones' craze as well. I think the 'Kim-Maree', the Hairdresser mentioned in the auditions article actually went on to become one of the Intruders for 2003 didn't she?

the Nokia SMS code would've been during/just before the 'Polyphonic ringtones' craze as well. I think the 'Kim-Maree', the Hairdresser mentioned in the auditions article actually went on to become one of the Intruders for 2003 didn't she?

Yes she did, and became hated at home due to some type of racist joke?

I love that you have kept all this stuff, so fascinating!

Yes she did, and became hated at home due to some type of racist joke?

I love that you have kept all this stuff, so fascinating!

Yeah something was said: https://www.theage.com.au/entertain...er-sorry-for-racist-joke-20030609-gdvunj.html
"Reality television show Big Brother last night apologised for a racist joke about Aborigines aired during its live broadcast after midnight on Saturday.
NSW hairdresser Kim made the joke, which implied that all Aborigines were criminals.
Network Ten and Southern Star Endemol, the show's producers, apologised unreservedly for the offence to both women and people of Aboriginal descent.

The apology came after the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission threatened legal action, claiming the show breached racial vilification laws."
and when she was Evicted: https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...d-from-big-brother-house-20030623-gdgz4c.html

but yeah, I was hardcore into keeping up with TV Land and the ratings/schedulings etc in my teens and early 20's, and of course a massive Big Brother fan. Haha. ;)

Irena's Eviction was up against the 2003 Logie Awards. 2000 in the crowd at the eviction apparently, Some of those ratings figures are wow, 2 million watching the Logies red carpet? 1.3 mil for 'Australia's Worst Driver' on Seven? Madness.

img167.jpg

I remember Carlo in the outside sink. Rove still did 3 years later too, I recall he brought it up when Gretel was on Rove Live teasing BB06.

img168.jpg

Also at Carlos' Eviction, Gretel tapes herself to her high heels:

img169.jpg

Theres an incorrect bit on the Irena article, She was from the Square House, not the Round House.

Heres a couple more in the days leading up to the BB2003 Launch, one about some archetypes of Housemates we might see in BB03:

img199.jpg

img200.jpg

another with a sneak peek of the bedroom and Belinda ( I also have a few Daily Telegraph TvGuide covers and articles you'll see later that focused on BB) I remember Belinda was also the cover for the 2003 one (I don't have a copy of that), Krystal was on the cover for BB06's , the others were Gretel (BB2007 also had some of the vote in/White Roomers on the cover with Gretel too).

img201.jpg

img202.jpg

Also interesting to note is they were referring to Australian Idol as 'Pop Idol' (after the UK version) at that point, 'expected to be a ratings bonanza' (and it ended up massively popular as we know).

Sophie Monk as a Celebrity Intruder? never happened but that would've been funny. Also an update on Jemma's Lip Gloss line and makeup brand:

img171.jpg

Belinda Walks, and Channel 10 pre-empts Becker (remember that show? haha) by airing Chrissie telling off Ben (Was it really a 40 minute rant?):

img172.jpg

Cookies of support for Reggie, Ben Gets Evicted anyway, and Gretel spotted house shopping:

img175.jpg

Belinda blabs a bit about the outside whilst delivering the intruders into the house. Were people really that invested in Patrick from memory? or does the article writer mean Vincent (who is pictured here without much context). From what I recall, wasn't Joanne kinda friendly with both of them (and Saxon?) and that's were some of the 'will there be an in-house romance this year' story fodder came from? (ah there's a later article here I have that explains a bit more)

img173.jpg

The Bit about Leah and Saxon is from a little bit later on (after Saxon and Kim Double Eviction):

img174.jpg

Claire's Eviction and The Eviction Van has seatbelts! Also bit up top is an Anouska article (will put up in later post):

img177.jpg

Also it seems Ralph was the go to mag for the Girls to do modelling for after leaving the house (I think Joanne had done a shoot before entering the house?) does anyone remember when that switched over to Zoo Weekly becoming a thing? I know it was definitely a thing by the time Krystal 2006 came around.

Joanne had a boyfriend of 6 years at the time on the outside! Vowing to stand by her, wonder if they're still together. hmm.

img178.jpg

img181.jpg

Saxon's eviction, Brunettes you say lol didn't help the later rumour mill about him and Gretel. Also was BBUK4 generally seen as a little boring (I haven't watched it)? Looks like they were tipping sending Jo over while we got Anouska but that never happened (we still got Anouska though (and in BBAU2005 we had Nadia stay for a bit).

img170.jpg

img176.jpg

Patrick's Fan Club, they were gonna set up a website, haha. Jess (BB2002) goes over to WA to live with Marty:

img210.jpg

Unlike Jo's boyfriend, Anouska's was not amused by her shenanigans and dumped her:

img214.jpg

Reggie's Husband says they're not in an unhappy marriage, and Anouska to star in. Neighbours? (Didn't happen):

img215.jpg

Saxon does a 'Celebrity Boot Camp' session:

img216.jpg

Joanne does some Charity stuff for Starlight Foundation (also BB2001 Winner Ben makes an appearance). Also, Jo fronting up a new look Sale Of the Century? (Didn't happen, but it proved the potential star making power of the show in opening up opportunities was still strong at this point - I mean it worked out for Chrissie from this season). Also SOTC ended in 2001, although was indeed revived as Temptation from 2005-2009 (no Joanne though):

img209.jpg

img208.jpg

an Update on Leah:

img206.jpg

img207.jpg

Back