Big Brother AU Greatest Moments

Who's side are you on?

• Team Michael

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Team Gretel

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters

Lightning McQueen

Thought it might be fun to reminisce about some of the best moments from the heyday of Big Brother.

Starting with the notorious "Gretel Incident" - hence the poll.

For those of you who don't remember, back in 2006, during the live nominations the day after Michael's eviction, Gretel and Michael had a heated argument over editing and camera angles.

I'm just wondering, who do you think was right?

Watch for yourself:

Isn’t that essentially what this thread is?
You even started the first one. lol

Isn’t that essentially what this thread is?
You even started the first one.

Well I obviously don't remember that far back, nor do I believe in bumping past threads. I just thought it might be fun to reminisce.

Well I obviously don't remember that far back, nor do I believe in bumping past threads. I just thought it might be fun to reminisce.
That’s the point of forum etiquette though. If there’s already a relatively recent thread about the same or similar topic, it should be a poster’s duty to check before uploading a new thread as to avoid cluttering the forum.

I’m all for the topic of conversation, but perhaps we can merge them next time.

That’s the point of forum etiquette though. If there’s already a relatively recent thread about the same or similar topic, it should be a poster’s duty to check before uploading a new thread as to avoid cluttering the forum.

I’m all for the topic of conversation, but perhaps we can merge them next time.
To be fair, nothing in the title of the 20th anniversary post suggested reminiscing about past moments, you would have to go into the thread to know that, it just suggests that they are letting everyone know that it's the 20th anniversary. If we're going to be that that picky about threads, then the contents of the threads should be made explicit in the title.

And his far back did you go to find the first one?

There's forum etiquette, and then there's forum OCD.

Of course I take your point though, merge away, I just thought some discussion would be nice...

#TeamGretel, even if Michael was actually kinda right hehe.
He was totally right and Gretel was out of control (and obviously got told off during the break). She was rude and snarky and kept interrupting him. He knew full well he and David didn't kiss, so it's not a long bow to draw to realise the camera angle and editing implied that they did. Very uncomfortable interview.

He was totally right and Gretel was out of control (and obviously got told off during the break). She was rude and snarky and kept interrupting him. He knew full well he and David didn't kiss, so it's not a long bow to draw to realise the camera angle and editing implied that they did. Very uncomfortable interview.
He was not totally right, hearsay is not admissable evidence. Gretel was trying to get that point across, and she's also 100% correct that a claim like using editing or creative camera angles to create a false narrative is offensive (and quite possibly defamatory).

I also have a feeling that the producers had heard what Michael had said in other interviews (Gretel herself said "You said in other interviews it was the use of camera angles", so SHE was certainly aware) and they had probably told Gretel in advance to nip it in the bud immediately.

What Michael should have said is "I haven't seen what was shown, but what happened at the time was (insert what happened here). If it came across another way, I'll review what was shown, and then comment further." Or better yet, since he was asked about it in other interviews, he should have watched it to prepare himself for when he was going to be on television and likely be asked about it again.

Either way, Gretel was right to call him out on his statements. Her demeanour may have come across as condescending, but that doesn't make her any less right.

The worst moment perhaps is live when they took 40 minutes to tally the final vote at a finale. The HMs just made stuff up. I think Gretel was compere.

He was not totally right, hearsay is not admissable evidence. Gretel was trying to get that point across, and she's also 100% correct that a claim like using editing or creative camera angles to create a false narrative is offensive (and quite possibly defamatory).

I also have a feeling that the producers had heard what Michael had said in other interviews (Gretel herself said "You said in other interviews it was the use of camera angles", so SHE was certainly aware) and they had probably told Gretel in advance to nip it in the bud immediately.

What Michael should have said is "I haven't seen what was shown, but what happened at the time was (insert what happened here). If it came across another way, I'll review what was shown, and then comment further." Or better yet, since he was asked about it in other interviews, he should have watched it to prepare himself for when he was going to be on television and likely be asked about it again.

Either way, Gretel was right to call him out on his statements. Her demeanour may have come across as condescending, but that doesn't make her any less right.
Oh, come on. What would your reaction be if radio announcers (and everyone) said "they showed you kissing David" right after you case out of the house? You'd probably say it never happened because you'd soon realise that what they showed had been cut short and edited to imply that it had.

Oh, come on. What would your reaction be if radio announcers (and everyone) said "they showed you kissing David" right after you case out of the house? You'd probably say it never happened because you'd soon realise that what they showed had been cut short and edited to imply that it had.
Point is, don't say anything defamatory without proof.

Back