Skip to main content

Big Brother 2021 confirmed (recording late 2020)

If they attempt to convert the show to the original format next year (which I highly doubt), it would already be too late, as the damage to the Big Brother format has already been accomplished, as we've seen with this year's show, original viewers will not return. They would need another 5-year hiatus to completely recover from this.

I think the best way to recovery is to do an all-stars season - that would bring back a lot of original viewers who might not have tuned in this year. But decent all-stars, ie: not the winners.

I will only watch this season because there's no other half decent show on I guarantee I will not waste any more time in watching next season if it is kept as the same format as this season.
They say that nobody wants to watch the old format and that is kind of outdated which is kind of true but I think they should go for more of what Bbuk was doing where they would show peoples relationships more and also throw in twists that would destroy friendships and cause drama (like face to face nominations occasionally and sometimes showing them what bad things people have said about them, also twisted competitions that allow one person to evict one person then and there)

Last edited by a moderator:
If they attempt to convert the show to the original format next year (which I highly doubt), it would already be too late, as the damage to the Big Brother format has already been accomplished, as we've seen with this year's show, original viewers will not return. They would need another 5-year hiatus to completely recover from this.
The show is rating fine. All the damage that's been done was by Nine, and whilst Seven may be making questionable decisions that go against the spirit of the show and many of the fanbase do not agree with I don't think they've done anything that causes the show long term damage this year. Whether it's more of the same or a return to the live aspect (but maintaining the new format, or aspects of it at least) there is a fairly solid foundation for them to build a second (well, 13th) season on.

Genuine question as I have stated before, I have not seen a skerrick of overseas productions of BB. So I ask, are they all running with formats like this now? Is it a sign of the times in that its "quicker" less attention needed and kinda dumbed down? Immediate gratification shocks and twists unlike yesteryear which allowed things to slowly develop and thusly investing you more with a deeper understanding of the dynamics at play.
Just musing. Seems like fast food bb. And for me personally, thats a shame. I liked the natural slow burn of the very early seasons.
To me, that was the social experiment. The raison d'etre of the whole show originally.
Its now kinda morphed interchangeable with any other reality program with no discernible real difference.
Probably just me tho.

Genuine question as I have stated before, I have not seen a skerrick of overseas productions of BB. So I ask, are they all running with formats like this now? Is it a sign of the times in that its "quicker" less attention needed and kinda dumbed down? Immediate gratification shocks and twists unlike yesteryear which allowed things to slowly develop and thusly investing you more with a deeper understanding of the dynamics at play.
Just musing. Seems like fast food bb. And for me personally, thats a shame. I liked the natural slow burn of the very early seasons.
To me, that was the social experiment. The raison d'etre of the whole show originally.
Its now kinda morphed interchangeable with any other reality program with no discernible real difference.
Probably just me tho.

No. The Australian version is the only version that I know of that has been completely pre recorded prior to airing. Other versions are using some aspects that 7 is using this season but all of them have public input except for the US version. But even the US version is filmed live and has live streams too.

Probably just me tho.

Completely agree. BB used to be unique and different from other reality shows. Now it’s the same crap as most other reality shows.

No. The Australian version is the only version that I know of that has been completely pre recorded prior to airing. Other versions are using some aspects that 7 is using this season but all of them have public input except for the US version. But even the US version is filmed live and has live streams too.
Actually the only season of BB China was prerecorded with a live finale. Teen BB in UK and a Celebrity season in Belgium was completely prerecorded. As well as Part one of Pinoy BB Lucky 7

Actually the only season of BB China was prerecorded with a live finale. Teen BB in UK and a Celebrity season in Belgium was completely prerecorded. As well as Part one of Pinoy BB Lucky 7

I was aware of BB China and the UK and Filipino seasons but I was more referring to the versions which are still being made today which is what Fuzz was asking about.

The US version has increased public involvement in most series of recent years too by having a vote in the first few weeks where a power can be awarded to a housemate, which actually fits in better with the show than a direct eviction vote. There is also a Favourite Houseguest prize award on finale night.

I think that is an issue here really - when the US switched to the HoH format in it's second series they did keep some limited involvement with "America's Choice", voting for things like giving houseguests a phone call home, video message or reward of some kind - plus of course the feeds remained so although they couldn't vote fans could still watch virtually 24/7, and that engagement is arguably more important than being able to vote. It has evolved over the years, including one year where viewers controlled one player completely and who they nominated and voted out, and then a season where they were involved in choosing a 3rd nominee, and then as I said since then it's mainly been to give players advantages (or punishments) in the game.

It’s 100% confirmed!!

RULES:

• You must be 18 years of age or over by 22nd June 2020
• You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
• You must be available for one (possibly two) days between 17th of August and 6th of September 2020 for a potential audition with Producers.
• You must be available for approx. 10-12 weeks for the shoot. At this stage, shooting will take place between October - December 2020

The Big Brother Audition Process

The most important thing to remember is that thousands of potential housemates will apply to be on Big Brother Australia and we value every single application we receive.

Unfortunately, there are only a limited number of places available on the show - so don't be disappointed if your application is not successful this time

What happens from here?

Once you've submitted your application, you could receive a phone call from our casting department. They will want to conduct a phone chat to get to know a little more about you. Please note. not all applicants will be contacted by our casting department.

Filming Dates

If you are selected to be a contestant on the show you will need to commit to 10-12 consecutive weeks of filming in the Big Brother house during the period on or around October/December 2020.

It’s 100% confirmed!!

RULES:

• You must be 18 years of age or over by 22nd June 2020
• You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
• You must be available for one (possibly two) days between 17th of August and 6th of September 2020 for a potential audition with Producers.
• You must be available for approx. 10-12 weeks for the shoot. At this stage, shooting will take place between October - December 2020

The Big Brother Audition Process

The most important thing to remember is that thousands of potential housemates will apply to be on Big Brother Australia and we value every single application we receive.

Unfortunately, there are only a limited number of places available on the show - so don't be disappointed if your application is not successful this time

What happens from here?

Once you've submitted your application, you could receive a phone call from our casting department. They will want to conduct a phone chat to get to know a little more about you. Please note. not all applicants will be contacted by our casting department.

Filming Dates

If you are selected to be a contestant on the show you will need to commit to 10-12 consecutive weeks of filming in the Big Brother house during the period on or around October/December 2020.
Yay 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

hope the earlier filming opens up the possibility for two seasons in 2021

So confirmation that it'll be pre-recorded again then, but no surprise, especially given what we're all going through at the moment. Guess it'll air straight after the Aussie Open then and that My Kitchen Rules is probably out. A 10-12 week shoot though suggests longer than this years, which was planned to be around 7-8 weeks but ended up around 5-6 weeks.

I do hope a the very least they've listened to the majority of fans who think each eviction cycle should be played out over more than one episode - assuming no signicant format changes two would be fine, with the first climaxing with the noms challenge and the second being the nominations and eviction.

I wonder if they’ll be putting it up against MAFS then? Bit risky.
I do agree it should be 4 episodes a week and an eviction every second episode.

But prerecorded..... They can’t have been listening to us *that* well 😖
While I definitely would prefer it, I think the ‘live’ format BB is dead and gone in Australia (unfortunately). I’m certainly not in the “live or nothing” camp so I’m happy to have what we have for what it is for as long as we can have it.
No harm in hoping and wishing and petitioning 7/Endemol ... but I will continue to watch and enjoy regardless!

But prerecorded..... They can’t have been listening to us *that* well 😖
It’d definitely not gonna be live again, and I’m actually happy about that

It gives the producers more time to turn around much more interesting story lines.
I wonder if the UK will bring it back under this new format?

It’d definitely not gonna be live again, and I’m actually happy about that

It gives the producers more time to turn around much more interesting story lines.
If a show has interesting story lines it doesn't matter if the turnaround is a day, a week or a month. If it doesn't no amount of time will give producers chance to create them - as this series is showing.

Big Brother is about the story unfolding in front of our eyes, and part of that is producers and housemates not knowing the direction it'll take either.

I wonder if the UK will bring it back under this new format?
It would not be accepted. Pre-recorded reality shows have never done well here going back to Survivor. The only exceptions really are The Apprentice and cookery shows like Bake Off and Masterchef, but they're not really considered to be in the same genre.

A relaunched Big Brother has to hold up against live shows like I'm a Celebrity and Love Island - it would be doomed if it went pre-recorded.

The extended shooting scheduled sounds promising. Hopefully it means they’re going to slow the eviction cycle down a little.

They also plan on filming much earlier than I expected, which could mean they intend on airing it around March-June / pre-Olympics.

Back