Skip to main content

Big Brother 2021 confirmed (recording late 2020)

Ah, forgot the Olympics will be in the schedule again next year (hopefully). Surely if they're filming that early they must be looking at February at the beginning of the ratings season - I think if it was planned for after Easter they'd record early next year.

You must be available for approx. 10-12 weeks for the shoot. At this stage, shooting will take place between October - December 2020
The longer taping window is interesting. Also they must have locked in a longer lease at North Head than I thought, or perhaps just extended it. I can't help feel that they have fast tracked it for some reason. Have they cancelled MKR or House Rules?

The longer taping window is interesting. Also they must have locked in a longer lease at North Head than I thought, or perhaps just extended it. I can't help feel that they have fast tracked it for some reason. Have they cancelled MKR or House Rules?

Yep. MKR and House Rules both failed to fire this year so that’s out I think.

I reckon the Brit’s would still watch BB in whatever format.
But we really do need more house down time without the challenges, noms and evictions. At least half an episode.

As for filming, I wonder if they’ll have to go into a pre-series lockdown and get COVID tested...

This current season has been a pleasant surprise but I really would love to see more focus on relationships within the house and not constant gameplay.

Considering the planned filming schedule is now almost double what it was this year, I think there’s every possibility they already plan on slowing it down next year. Especially if they intend on airing it over a longer period to fill the void left by MKR/HR.

Happy to have it back, hope the format gets beefed up a bit for 2021 and there’s spontaneity between episodes (e.gmake the eviction cycles a week instead of an episode)

for 2021 can we try 12-14 housemates:

- Monday Night for Challenges:

Episode opens with fallout from previous eviction, moves into actual shopping tasks, then moves into the Basement challenges, winner is declared and is offered to take 2 other housemates to the Green Room to strategise (FOMO then creating doubt and then frustration within the other housemates, in turn creating content for production), Episode ends with 2 losers returning to the main house and the challenge winner making their way to the diary room, no nominees are revealed in this episode.

- Tuesday Night for Nominations:

Episode opens with the challenge winner (they need a better localised name for this) making their nominations in the diary room and returning to the main lounge area with everyone waiting, Big Brother does a ‘that is all’ and everyone is dismissed. The emphasis on this nominations episode is to show more of the housemates and give the viewer more time to get to know them without having to compress every storyline from the cycle into 90 minutes.

A house ‘Family Dinner’ is where the nominees are revealed - after the housemates have been on the piss. Before dinner is served, Big Brother will call on the challenge winner to announce their three nominees to the table. The rest of the episode is the discourse from nominations that they have to confront at the table - the main problem is the little groups breaking up and individually bitching meaning we don’t get a legitimate view of the house dynamic or how the house interacts in unity. Episode concludes when all the juicy stuff is done.

- Wednesday Night for evictions

Episode opens following fallout from family dinner, main focus on first half of episode is legitimate strategic talk. Second half comes from the eviction room, they need to get Sonia asking actual questions that will get housemates fighting before the final vote, this 30 minutes in the eviction room needs to completely fuck around with the current storyline of who will go home and ACTUALLY blindside the viewer instead of the pissweak ‘blindsiding’ that’s actually going on now.

Housemates are then called to vote and person is evicted BUT they have an exit interview with Sonia inside her isolated eviction room - the interview may or may not be played to the housemates depending on how important the evictee was to the narrative.

I think this will help with pacing the show out a bit more but they need to start casting more dumb people, they made a mistake casting typically smart people this year because smart people know how to edit themselves.

And for fuck sakes put an actual exit door in the eviction room next year so they don’t have to uncomfortably walk back through the house and the exit comes off smoother.

Hoping earlier filming dates doesn’t mean it’s going against MAFS. It would kill all momentum for the show, especially if 10 plans on doing another season of survivor all stars which I doubt. Best choice for them imo would be to remain in the slot it has and make house rules go up against mafs. House rules doesn’t rate disastourously, the format isn’t gaining momentum anytime soon, may aswell put it against mafs, at least until mafs dies out and they have the chance to launch a new format in that slot.

Hoping earlier filming dates doesn’t mean it’s going against MAFS. It would kill all momentum for the show, especially if 10 plans on doing another season of survivor all stars which I doubt. Best choice for them imo would be to remain in the slot it has and make house rules go up against mafs. House rules doesn’t rate disastourously, the format isn’t gaining momentum anytime soon, may aswell put it against mafs, at least until mafs dies out and they have the chance to launch a new format in that slot.

It likely does mean that. Filming finishing in December probably means a February air date after the tennis. They are not going to film until December then hold the show for 6 months.

It likely does mean that. Filming finishing in December probably means a February air date after the tennis. They are not going to film until December then hold the show for 6 months.
I was thinking if they finished filming potentially even late December, then launched early April after mafs, they could pull it off. But yeah, does seem unlikely

Going by the comments on Facebook about the renewal looks like most people miss the old aspects of BB like seeing more normal conversations between the housemates and a lot don't like how fast paced it is. Not sure the show will be able to sustain its ratings next year if it's basically the same as this year.

Going by the comments on Facebook about the renewal looks like most people miss the old aspects of BB like seeing more normal conversations between the housemates and a lot don't like how fast paced it is. Not sure the show will be able to sustain its ratings next year if it's basically the same as this year.
They’d be silly to repeat the exact same format and not expect viewer fatigue. Although the stubbornness to do so wouldn’t surprise me.

I’m not holding out hope for any major changes, but the longer schedule does give me hope. Getting rid of an eviction every episode and the inclusion of a veto will already solve a few problems.

They’d be silly to repeat the exact same format and not expect viewer fatigue. Although the stubbornness to do so wouldn’t surprise me.
Totally agree. I'd expect the same again except with some minor tweaks. I hope they take some of the feedback from here and FB on board. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

in early 2021 which is the 20th anniversary of Big Brother Australia Some form of All Stars would be a nice way of remembering the past while also looking to the future

Back