Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020: Housemates

MAFS is coming up a bit recently... which I find confusing, given the intention of the production team to distance themselves from that type of cast. I really doubt that there will be a number of housemates akin to those seen on MAFS. Sure, there has to be some that are there to incite conflict, but none in the way the cast of MAFS approaches conflict.

I’m willing to be proven wrong, but given what we’ve heard about the cast thus far, perhaps they were too cautious in casting housemates that a) have a proven record in media of some description and b) have little desire to bicker over baseless, unremarkable grievances.

Of course, place anyone in that type of environment and they’re likely to go a little stir crazy...
I mentioned MAFS because it's captured viewers as a ratings winner and social experiment that delivers addictive, dramatic, emotional escapism junk food tv. I assume they need a share of that audience, as well as Survivor's.....Game focussed people is a given, but likewise, I could be proven wrong, or not.

What was your motivation for auditioning?

I mentioned MAFS because it's captured viewers as a ratings winner and social experiment that delivers addictive, dramatic, emotional escapism junk food tv. I assume they need a share of that audience, as well as Survivor's.....Game focussed people is a given, but likewise, I could be proven wrong, or not.

What was your motivation for auditioning?

I grew up in the ‘too young to audition’ age group, but have a pretty interesting story to tell and a job that allows me to strategise every day. I’m a critical thinker and share my opinion and played towards that throughout the audition process. Those traits compelled me to apply I guess, with the main motivation being 1. To win, but 2. To show a broader audience that Gen Z/millennials aren’t just ‘snowflakes’ but bring relevant and provocative ideas to the table 🤷🏼‍♂️

As for the housemates that were announced today... a little disappointed in the lack of diversity so far (bar Angela) and they feel a little bland on paper, but maybe their backgrounds will give them an edge beyond their obvious good looks.

These look more like our traditional housemate, although I don't think Sophie realises that she's pretty much just admitted she'll be shit TV to watch.

"under the radar and emerge the winner" only works when your audience is voting

I grew up in the ‘too young to audition’ age group, but have a pretty interesting story to tell and a job that allows me to strategise every day. I’m a critical thinker and share my opinion and played towards that throughout the audition process. Those traits compelled me to apply I guess, with the main motivation being 1. To win, but 2. To show a broader audience that Gen Z/millennials aren’t just ‘snowflakes’ but bring relevant and provocative ideas to the table 🤷🏼‍♂️

As for the housemates that were announced today... a little disappointed in the lack of diversity so far (bar Angela) and they feel a little bland on paper, but maybe their backgrounds will give them an edge beyond their obvious good looks.
Oh, that's interesting... Agree regarding diversity in all of its guises, but it's subject to fuzzy double standards... Commercially reconcilling diversity might be a challenge given the country's demography alone, although Masterchef this year appears to have done OK in some respects...partly a reflection of modern cuisine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are all the strategic/interesting housemate's like tim brunero, tim dormer, priya and strategy dave when we need them?!

Anyone else people can remember from BBAUS who played the game?

I do think it's necessary for them to put in younger, good looking housemates just to bring in younger viewers and lighten up the show abit. If they have 20 hm's as reported, i'd probably say maybe 6 of them should be young and good looking. These peops do actually add to the show, hate to say it but Skye was one of the more entertaining hm's of 2014.

My ideal cast would look something like this:
6 housemates in their 20's..
6 housemates in their 30's..
4 housemates 40+

The housemates so far seem to be very one-dimensional, apart from angela, I don't think any of the housemates will shock us or provide any more substance to what we have seen in their promotion vt's.

New hm Sophie is know for some of the competitions she's done and modelling but she has a small following on insta of just over 1k so that's not too bad..

Where are all the strategic/interesting housemate's like tim brunero, tim dormer, priya and strategy dave when we need them?!

Anyone else people can remember from BBAUS who played the game?
I don't think you can judge their strategy based on the info release already. The game is here to be played more than ever this year, so no doubt that will have been a strong element of the casting. Hiding that strategic side is also important to any strategy too.

I hope there is eventually a series preview with actual footage of the housemates in the house.

I think the housemate promos so far have been a bit underwhelming. If I wasn't a Big Brother fan, I don't know if I'd be convinced to watch based on those.

They're not bad. It's just lacking the usual edginess that I expect from Big Brother Australia.

Back