Skip to main content

BBUS 23 (includes live feed and episode spoilers)

Comp design/Production really need to step up their game… The wall comp has been far too overplayed.

New twist next Thursday and it involves a public vote.
Yes, they used to have a decent enough variety of endurance comps in the early years but the wall comp seems to have been used every year for a good decade now, and for me it's one of the least interesting. I think for many the ultimate endurance comp was the BB6 "pressure cooker" which was far more about mental endurance than physical endurance.

Yes, they used to have a decent enough variety of endurance comps in the early years but the wall comp seems to have been used every year for a good decade now, and for me it's one of the least interesting. I think for many the ultimate endurance comp was the BB6 "pressure cooker" which was far more about mental endurance than physical endurance.
I agree. I think they started using the wall comp because it doesn’t last more than a couple of hours whereas the pressure cooker or something similar can go all night.

I agree. I think they started using the wall comp because it doesn’t last more than a couple of hours whereas the pressure cooker or something similar can go all night.
LOL.
I need context about the "pressure cooker". Still havent got round to exploring the US and CAn versions of bb but "pressure cooker" sounds as funny af. If you or Brekkie could explain its implications, Id be deeply appreciative. The term just tickles me.

LOL.
I need context about the "pressure cooker". Still havent got round to exploring the US and CAn versions of bb but "pressure cooker" sounds as funny af. If you or Brekkie could explain its implications, Id be deeply appreciative. The term just tickles me.
Pressure cooker was the name of a Head of Household competition (BBUS’s nomination challenge). It involved HG’s standing in a cage with their finger on a button, if the button was released they’d be eliminated. The last person standing is the winner. Also you could only leave the cage in 3’s so it involved some HG’s waiting inside the cage for hours before another HG’s dropped. Once someone was eliminated they got to open a box that would either contain a prize or punishment. This competition went on for 14 hours. Fans loved it because it resulted in some banter from the HG’s, promises made, and was broadcast live on the feeds. I can’t really say too much without spoilers. If you’d like to watch it play out send me a DM and I’ll send you the episode.

Pressure cooker was the name of a Head of Household competition (BBUS’s nomination challenge). It involved HG’s standing in a cage with their finger on a button, if the button was released they’d be eliminated. The last person standing is the winner. Also you could only leave the cage in 3’s so it involved some HG’s waiting inside the cage for hours before another HG’s dropped. Once someone was eliminated they got to open a box that would either contain a prize or punishment. This competition went on for 14 hours. Fans loved it because it resulted in some banter from the HG’s, promises made, and was broadcast live on the feeds.
Sounds convulated but funny for pathos. Promise you and breks, I will endeavour to check it out. Thanks for the explanation.

Sounds convulated but funny for pathos. Promise you and breks, I will endeavour to check it out. Thanks for the explanation.
Not convoluted at all. It’s actually a pretty simple comp and really the gold standard for what endurance comps should be. Unlike the overused “wall comp” that tends to favour physical strength over actual endurance and willingness to win/make deals.
EBA928D6-7F0C-4EE4-A79B-5101E2DF7E64.jpeg

God, the Netflix reference here really highlights how long ago it was:

It’s actually the entirety of Episode 16 with added flashbacks and DR sessions. I’m watching it now… The Netflix reference and the language in the episode. Jennifer states that Beau might “scream like a girl” when the flies are released. Something that wouldn’t fly in today’s social climate.

Not convoluted at all. It’s actually a pretty simple comp and really the gold standard for what endurance comps should be. Unlike the overused “wall comp” that tends to favour physical strength over actual endurance and willingness to win/make deals.
View attachment 57245
Take your word on it kingy. Have not seen a single second. Just your description to an uninaited pleb like me in this iteration seemed somewhat needlessly complicated. Not knowing any of the macchinations or seen them in action. But I will watch for better understanding. Cheers mate for your reply.

If I may bother you one more time, is the US/CAN iterations more brawn based (ala physical challenges) or more strategic requiring a social strong game and foretelling and being able to read situations as they occur?

If I may bother you one more time, is the US/CAN iterations more brawn based (ala physical challenges) or more strategic requiring a social strong game and foretelling and being able to read situations as they occur?
There’s a mix of physical, skill, and metal challenges… Most HoH comps are actually quizzes and most POV challenges involve some skill or puzzle. The game as a whole it can fluctuate depending on how the season plays out. We’ve seen brute force winners who dominate the game by winning competitions and others who leverage social strategy.

If you’re going to watch I highly recommend working your way from series 2 through to at least season 10 before jumping on the modern BB series or BBCAN.

Season 2 in particular has a great mix of brute force strategy and social strategy players. Season 3 is also a must watch as it’s essentially a socially strategic fight to the end. Season 4 is another great example of social strategy vs brute force players.

Also certain elements of the game changed from season to season in the early years so you really have to start from season 2 or it will be rather odd.

Cheers and thanks for indulging my obvious ignorant bliss to it all. Look forward to checking it out when I get time.

Back on topic… Although I don’t support the reasoning behind it this may be one of the more interesting public votes as the casual fan base and other pockets of fans seem to hate the fact that The Cookout is the dominant alliance this year.

2AA62065-66AC-40A2-AE64-B63E09B1E1B4.jpeg
CFD3CFCC-A2AC-4030-8259-6522341C253C.jpeg

I don't have an issue with the cookout, I understand how they want a POC to win and I don't think thats the issue, I am just disappointed the mass alliance trend is still a thing. Thats the disappointing this is. IMO this is one of the better newbie casts other than BB20 in recent years. But I was hoping for more dynamic play. Every week the target has been set from the start and they have left. And the house has pretty much voted together almost each time. So yeah. Kinda dissapointed with that but I think thats how BB is going to continue to be played. The major issue for me is that like the committee the cook out seems to want to stick together despite the numerous cracks that are there within the group, particularly amongst the women. It was fun at least to see Dani target Tyler in BB22, but I liked Tyler so that wasn't actually as amazing. But I'd like to see the alliances not be afraid to target one another. Otherwise this is going to be a slog once again.

Compared to recent years though a six person alliance is not as big as previous mass alliances. Their plan is a good one too of each member having a side deal with someone outside the alliance - that is exactly what the Brigade did back in BB12 which got three of the four of them to the final 4.

This is what I love about this season We are seeing so many different complex black players and and their gameplay should be celebrated

The way he's going he'll end up doing a Topaz. He could well be the swing vote this week as I think the target could get the numbers to stay, so how it goes is anyones guess.

Back