Skip to main content

BBUK axed again - to end this year

21st Century Fox owns a good stake of both Sky and Endemol, and Disney's about to buy all three..... I'm thinking Sky might be a good choice.

21st Century Fox owns a good stake of both Sky and Endemol, and Disney's about to buy all three..... I'm thinking Sky might be a good choice.

There’s nothing stating that Disney intend on holding on to Endemol Shine after the deal goes through... There’s also nothing saying they’ll give two shits about BB even if they do...

The FOX/Disney deal has to do with Disney’s planned streaming service and FOX’s extensive catelog of movie titles... SKY just opens up Disney to wider distribution in Europe... That said once the deal is completed Disney will own a lot more high profile programming for SKY than BB...

Well thank you, Kingston. I'm sure Sky will have plenty of high profile programming. (Unless, of course, Sky gets bought by Comcast.)

Anyway, Big Brother is too expensive for BBC (the prize budget would have to drop dramatically, as it's being funded by license fees; and offering 250-thousand quid would turn it into a very uneven lottery of sorts). If it stays with Channel 5 (and not in "its current form"), then I think it might be a shift to a North American system of evictions. No more money spent on keeping those Internet and phone lines open, some money saved on accounting, maybe even less daily shows.

Well thank you, Kingston. I'm sure Sky will have plenty of high profile programming. (Unless, of course, Sky gets bought by Comcast.)

Anyway, Big Brother is too expensive for BBC (the prize budget would have to drop dramatically, as it's being funded by license fees; and offering 250-thousand quid would turn it into a very uneven lottery of sorts). If it stays with Channel 5 (and not in "its current form"), then I think it might be a shift to a North American system of evictions. No more money spent on keeping those Internet and phone lines open, some money saved on accounting, maybe even less daily shows.

I doubt they would ever shift to a North American system of evictions. If they did that, I think the show would lose the last bit of popularity it has left. The North American format hasn't been tried anywhere else in the world and I think there is a good reason for that. To me personally, the North American format is horrible and takes too much power away from the public.

The North American format hasn't been tried anywhere else in the world and I think there is a good reason for that.

Not true... Brazil has a modified version of it... In fact they've never used the traditional format... The Portugese also attempted it in 2003... And that's not to say there haven't been several other versions that have been influanced by BBUS in one way or another... BBAU being one of them...

It would take something pretty drastic for BBUK to change up the format... Also the prize money for BBUK is NOT £250,000 it's £100,000 which would not be an issue for any broadcaster... The BBC wouldn't touch BB anyways so don't worry your pretty little head mormon boy...

No official confirmation by Channel 5 yet... Both articles say it's just the CELEBRITY series... The Sun article also says the regular series will air before CBB which is not the case... Both articles also state that they’ve reached out to Channel 5 for comment and haven’t received a response... So while there may be something to this as Ben Frow has said BB wouldn’t return in its current form I’m taking the story with a grain of salt until we have a solid confirmation...

I think the fact they haven't aired the regular summer series yet says everything that is required about C5's interest in it. Even if they were staying out of the way of Love Island not having it in place to launch immediately off the back of Love Island shows the move wasn't about protecting ratings. There are 3m viewers who'd be looking for something to watch on Tuesday at 9pm and C5 have dropped the balls completely.

I think the fact they haven't aired the regular summer series yet says everything that is required about C5's interest in it. Even if they were staying out of the way of Love Island not having it in place to launch immediately off the back of Love Island shows the move wasn't about protecting ratings. There are 3m viewers who'd be looking for something to watch on Tuesday at 9pm and C5 have dropped the balls completely.

It seems to me the reason they didn’t plan to launch off the back of Love Island was to avoid the possibility that ITV could extend the series and mess everything up... Also having CBB air first means they avoid having it go head to head with IACGMOOH...

CBB worrying about clashing with I'm a Celeb is like a school sports day worrying about clashing with the Olympics.

CBB worrying about clashing with I'm a Celeb is like a school sports day worrying about clashing with the Olympics.

If I was Channel 5 I honestly wouldn’t want two “celebrity” shows going head to head for ratings... Especially if the civilian version was delayed for Love Island... It seems to me that they actually want to give BB a fair chance for once...

Also if CBB returns in January it gives a decent sized break between two CBB series instead of just a few weeks...

Davina has spoken about the show being axed again, saying it needs to be rested and retooled off screen, that she won't return for the final episode (as it is Emma's turn to say goodbye to the series) and that's she rather enjoyed The Circle. (Incidently C4 have replaced Davina as host of their Stand Up to Cancer telethon with one of the hosts of The Circle, rising star Maya Jama).

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/big-br...rother-davina-mccall-says-show-needs-resting/

I've been rewatching BBUK 5 (2004) and holy shit, the whole season is like a huge screaming match throughout the whole house.

Its honestly so entertaining thouuuugh

Yes, BB5 was great at the time but not sure I'd be inclined to rewatch it in full. BB6 I might - I have rewatched BB1-BB3 over the last couple of years but they were short series with half hour episodes. From BB5 onwards the series get longer and the episodes begin to hit the hour mark. I might at some point give the two celeb series that followed BB5/6 another viewing - they're by far the best celeb series IMO and at only three weeks long each easier to binge.

At the time Big Brother 6 was criticised as being quite nasty, and I only really liked Sam on it.

Sam - literally the most pointless housemate of all time, so dull and forgetable Davina had to resort to stripping during her eviction interview to keep viewers entertained.

Back