Skip to main content

BBB Members and Their Christmas Traditions

I haven't done my tree yet, will probably put it up in the next week or so. I used to be so eager when I first left home, I remember doing it September the first few years, as soon as the decorations hit the shops.

Trala, I love the story behind your decorations.

As for what I'll be doing for Christmas, we generally have a casual barbecue lunch with the extended family. Not sure which side of the family yet.

I haven't done my tree yet, will probably put it up in the next week or so. I used to be so eager when I first left home, I remember doing it September the first few years, as soon as the decorations hit the shops.

Trala, I love the story behind your decorations.
Please post a pic!

I absolutely love Christmas. While others complain when the Christmas decorations roll out in the shops mid-September, I secretly wish they were out even earlier. It definitely comes from the love my parents have from the holiday and the focus on family and tradition in our house. I remember my mum picking us up from school on (almost) every year on December 1st and impatiently waiting until 5pm until my dad got home and we could put the tree and decorations up. My mum would turn on the Christmas carols (always the Wiggles Christmas CD since the year I was born), put out a small plate of Christmas-themed lollies and some chips and chocolates and sit down in the air conditioner on the floor and patiently unwrap each bauble and tree decoration and hand them to us to decorate the tree with. Our tree was never like one of those evenly spaced, colour-themed trees you see in displays. Our tree was (and still is) a huge thing that took up a quarter of the room and was absolutely stuffed with tinsel, baubles, lights, rows of metallic plastic beads and homemade colourings and indistinguishable clay creations painted in red and green.
Speaking of the tree, my mum bought it for my first Christmas from Target. She put it in the trolley alongside new decorations and Christmas presents, and rolled up to the checkouts to proudly buy the tree for her first Christmas out of home. Being so flustered from having a 3 month old baby and a lot of shopping to do, she completely forgot to ask the check out woman to scan the massive box and walked out of the store with a $200 Christmas tree for free. We still had our stolen Target tree up until two years ago, when the amount of decorations on it finally caused the "trunk" to snap in half, sending the whole thing crashing to the ground - including the five customised, hand-painted personalised baubles that my mum painstakingly made herself each year we were born. Three of them smashed, and she cried.
We now have a new tree, with three house bricks over the legs to ensure that the sheer weight of our festivities don't send the whole thing crashing to the ground.
My family also really loves Christmas. Before I moved to the Gold Coast and when my family was spread around Australia (Darwin, Gold Coast and Perth) they all used to come home for Christmas regardless of the circumstances, and we would all cram ourselves inside my grandparents tiny 3 bedroom house and celebrate. I remember picking my uncle up from the airport with my grandparents at 7am every year, and my pop would always play "I'll Be Home For Christmas". My nan would start sniffing as my uncle would run towards the car, and she'd have her tissues up against her face for at least 15 minutes before she could speak. My mum still insists my siblings, cousins and I have santa photos at Westfield because my sister is still young... So every year santa has a visit from a 22, 19, 18, 14 & 10 year old and we all have to sit on the lap of a 60+ year old man. I choose to sit on the floor and always feel slightly annoyed and embarrassed but I'd ultimately do anything to make my mum happy.
I love Christmas, and I feel a bit sad for others who haven't had similar experiences with the holiday, or don't enjoy the holiday for whatever reason. I loved your story and pictures @Trala - sorry for the massive block of text :p

Okay Christmas. Is it okay to do childhood Christmas?

We would decorate the tree together, usually on the night that Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer was on TV. Our tree was filled with the obligatory hand made ornaments we all made in school with our school pictures on them from kindergarten. (I have three sisters.) So as you can imagine we would also mock each other mercilessly.

Dad always read us the Night Before Christmas on, strangely enough, the night before Christmas. We would get to eat snacky hors dourvey type things which was a real treat for us.

Once in bed we were FORBIDDEN to come downstairs until at least 6:00am. No excuses. And we usually got very little sleep since we were so excited.

Then in the morning, we would all have breakfast together before opening presents. Then Dad would say a prayer before we started the present opening saying happy birthday to Jesus.

He would hand out the presents one at a time. We all had to wait until the last present was opened and we all got a look before the next present was passed out. It was pretty amazing and made the effort that went in to all the shopping so much better when it lasted more than 10 minutes.

Then we'd clean up the mess, change into some new Christmas clothes, put on Christmas music and wait for Grandma and Grandpa to come over. Christmas was magic when we were little.
Now not at all.

Holy Theoesque wall of fucking words! Sorry!!

We watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.
OMG!!!
Christmas-Vacation-quote-5.gif

HAHAHAHAHA!!! LOVE THAT MOVIE!!![DOUBLEPOST=1417168495][/DOUBLEPOST]
I absolutely love Christmas. While others complain when the Christmas decorations roll out in the shops mid-September, I secretly wish they were out even earlier. It definitely comes from the love my parents have from the holiday and the focus on family and tradition in our house. I remember my mum picking us up from school on (almost) every year on December 1st and impatiently waiting until 5pm until my dad got home and we could put the tree and decorations up. My mum would turn on the Christmas carols (always the Wiggles Christmas CD since the year I was born), put out a small plate of Christmas-themed lollies and some chips and chocolates and sit down in the air conditioner on the floor and patiently unwrap each bauble and tree decoration and hand them to us to decorate the tree with. Our tree was never like one of those evenly spaced, colour-themed trees you see in displays. Our tree was (and still is) a huge thing that took up a quarter of the room and was absolutely stuffed with tinsel, baubles, lights, rows of metallic plastic beads and homemade colourings and indistinguishable clay creations painted in red and green.
Speaking of the tree, my mum bought it for my first Christmas from Target. She put it in the trolley alongside new decorations and Christmas presents, and rolled up to the checkouts to proudly buy the tree for her first Christmas out of home. Being so flustered from having a 3 month old baby and a lot of shopping to do, she completely forgot to ask the check out woman to scan the massive box and walked out of the store with a $200 Christmas tree for free. We still had our stolen Target tree up until two years ago, when the amount of decorations on it finally caused the "trunk" to snap in half, sending the whole thing crashing to the ground - including the five customised, hand-painted personalised baubles that my mum painstakingly made herself each year we were born. Three of them smashed, and she cried.
We now have a new tree, with three house bricks over the legs to ensure that the sheer weight of our festivities don't send the whole thing crashing to the ground.
My family also really loves Christmas. Before I moved to the Gold Coast and when my family was spread around Australia (Darwin, Gold Coast and Perth) they all used to come home for Christmas regardless of the circumstances, and we would all cram ourselves inside my grandparents tiny 3 bedroom house and celebrate. I remember picking my uncle up from the airport with my grandparents at 7am every year, and my pop would always play "I'll Be Home For Christmas". My nan would start sniffing as my uncle would run towards the car, and she'd have her tissues up against her face for at least 15 minutes before she could speak. My mum still insists my siblings, cousins and I have santa photos at Westfield because my sister is still young... So every year santa has a visit from a 22, 19, 18, 14 & 10 year old and we all have to sit on the lap of a 60+ year old man. I choose to sit on the floor and always feel slightly annoyed and embarrassed but I'd ultimately do anything to make my mum happy.
I love Christmas, and I feel a bit sad for others who haven't had similar experiences with the holiday, or don't enjoy the holiday for whatever reason. I loved your story and pictures @Trala - sorry for the massive block of text :p
I love this. I am teary. :)

I love Christmas movies! Home Alone always wins. Anyone seen 'A Mom for Christmas' with Olivia Newton-John?

My family Christmas traditions? My parents are European so we normally celebrate on Christmas Eve. This involves gorging ourselves with food. We also do a cocktail night on Christmas eve which normally leads to a very merry hangover on Christmas Day.

The best Christmas movie beside Christmas Vacation is A Christmas Story! If you haven't seen it, do Yourselves a favour and check it out!!

Oh and we had a Christmas cookie baking tradition that I will tell you about after some more people go with their stories. I feel like I'm monopolizing this. :shy:

I love Christmas movies! Home Alone always wins. Anyone seen 'A Mom for Christmas' with Olivia Newton-John?

My family Christmas traditions? My parents are European so we normally celebrate on Christmas Eve. This involves gorging ourselves with food. We also do a cocktail night on Christmas eve which normally leads to a very merry hangover on Christmas Day.

Yes I have seen the Christmas Movie with ONJ. It's like a spin on Mannequin?

Back