Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Okay so things I look at differently this far into the 2013 series.

Ed was never really a bad guy, not like how he was portrayed on these boards. I’m embarrassed I was part of the hate Ed stuff actually. He had his time ruined in the house and was viewed harshly by the public too and jade was given this poor girl act from the public like it was she who was being lead on. I was like 25 at the time so I can see my immature side going with this idea. Which leads to jade.

I watch this the second time around and now I actually don’t get it why I fangirled jade early on. Other than being nice and I think she was given this false edit by the production team and like I said before I do feel people held onto this idea of jade and looked past the actual jade we saw because she didn’t really give much other than a showmance. The whole Ed thing is honestly so cringy. I find I get this sense of second hand embarrassment take over. I’ll excuse her based on age. But her making it to final three is the only thing that brings this series down.

Bringing me to a new point the girl pack mentality was just as annoying as the boy pack mentality early and mid way through the series. How I never picked up on it originally Is dumbfounding. They were really mean and acted like they dominated situations. Big example (with now sugar sisters fone however the order of the pack was still there) is Tahan bringing up the die in a hole comment and instead their biggest concern was who told her the comment. I was really eeked with their response and gutless behaviour. But this only showed Tahan character in a much more understanding way too so I’m also glad for it in a way, but Australia effed up and still jade came second.

I wish boog was an original hm. She would have been such a great addition and I think she would have sorted through the bs girl drama well.

Also the whole Ben Stuff. Needs to be said. But after watching one of the most recent episode where he and Tahan are acting out the save promos, and although hilarious, genuinely enjoyed it- it was weird how he could switch from talking childlike to having these seizure like change in personalities with I dare say funny but snarky remarks.

The big thing that stands out is the order of shows and changes. I don’t know this time round I’m finding it hard to follow the show order. The eviction night was wasted footage just showing an introduction to the following nights show. Glad they scrapped the showdowns being the main viewing. Feats nights became repetitive and at times felt the hms did talk for the sake of having a say in matters but never really delved into topics long enough because they moved to the next. Too high schoolish in the way they went from class to class, in this case topic to topic. The biggest thing among this for me is I now recognised how I was sucked into the drama through promotional bs. I cringe at myself for it. I had already decided character behaviour from it and really disliked hms for no reason or liked hms for no reason. Drew screwed himself but he was a great hm and I can see where I began to hate him and want him out when really I should have wanted him to stay because he was creating content and not just with the tully stuff. I also think mikkayla needed to lose some of the clique in order to regain better public perception. But production pushed a story and I fell for it.

Okay long winded and probably repeated thoughts are now done

Okay so things I look at differently this far into the 2013 series.

Ed was never really a bad guy, not like how he was portrayed on these boards. I’m embarrassed I was part of the hate Ed stuff actually. He had his time ruined in the house and was viewed harshly by the public too and jade was given this poor girl act from the public like it was she who was being lead on. I was like 25 at the time so I can see my immature side going with this idea. Which leads to jade.

I watch this the second time around and now I actually don’t get it why I fangirled jade early on. Other than being nice and I think she was given this false edit by the production team and like I said before I do feel people held onto this idea of jade and looked past the actual jade we saw because she didn’t really give much other than a showmance. The whole Ed thing is honestly so cringy. I find I get this sense of second hand embarrassment take over. I’ll excuse her based on age. But her making it to final three is the only thing that brings this series down.

Bringing me to a new point the girl pack mentality was just as annoying as the boy pack mentality early and mid way through the series. How I never picked up on it originally Is dumbfounding. They were really mean and acted like they dominated situations. Big example (with now sugar sisters fone however the order of the pack was still there) is Tahan bringing up the die in a hole comment and instead their biggest concern was who told her the comment. I was really eeked with their response and gutless behaviour. But this only showed Tahan character in a much more understanding way too so I’m also glad for it in a way, but Australia effed up and still jade came second.

I wish boog was an original hm. She would have been such a great addition and I think she would have sorted through the bs girl drama well.

Also the whole Ben Stuff. Needs to be said. But after watching one of the most recent episode where he and Tahan are acting out the save promos, and although hilarious, genuinely enjoyed it- it was weird how he could switch from talking childlike to having these seizure like change in personalities with I dare say funny but snarky remarks.

The big thing that stands out is the order of shows and changes. I don’t know this time round I’m finding it hard to follow the show order. The eviction night was wasted footage just showing an introduction to the following nights show. Glad they scrapped the showdowns being the main viewing. Feats nights became repetitive and at times felt the hms did talk for the sake of having a say in matters but never really delved into topics long enough because they moved to the next. Too high schoolish in the way they went from class to class, in this case topic to topic. The biggest thing among this for me is I now recognised how I was sucked into the drama through promotional bs. I cringe at myself for it. I had already decided character behaviour from it and really disliked hms for no reason or liked hms for no reason. Drew screwed himself but he was a great hm and I can see where I began to hate him and want him out when really I should have wanted him to stay because he was creating content and not just with the tully stuff. I also think mikkayla needed to lose some of the clique in order to regain better public perception. But production pushed a story and I fell for it.

Okay long winded and probably repeated thoughts are now done

Well said, I feel I agree with every single word here!

I’m still sour about Drew ruining his chances the way he did. He easily could have sat beside Tim in the finale.
I've been sour for 9 long years.
Drew was far more interesting than I had remembered.
I'm glad to finally see some people agreeing with this.
This thread is definitely my favourite. I mean, not as good as OT in it’s glory days obviously, but it’s the best.

My lovely wife doesn’t understand how I can rewatch old seasons and I like to tell her when someone replies to a comment on YouTube only a week or so after I posted it as proof I’m not the only “loser”, I was excited to tell her that the forum was discussing the same season I had just finished. It’s so good to find my people!
I love that there's more discussion here long after I even finished!

Ed was never really a bad guy, not like how he was portrayed on these boards. I’m embarrassed I was part of the hate Ed stuff actually.

I was actually kind of thinking this as I was watching it. I still think his constant “I’m going to bring Tim undone … play those cards blah blah” was a bit frustrating. But he definitely wasn’t as bad as I had remembered.
Jade was super cringe and basically forced herself on Ed.
In a house without Tim I might have even really liked Ed

So I’m watching the 74th day- nomination night. I completely forgot tahan having the guts to nominate mikkayla to her face. Oh that was everything! You could feel the tension those many years ago and still now I felt it. That moment still makes me giddy! I do love they are friends out of the house. That says everything I need to know about them. Powerful and strong girls.

Prior to that I felt genuinely bad for Drew when Tahan was saying the girls had no right to cry and be upset that Ben left as she believed they nominated him. Drew was one of the people who did nominate Ben and the way he closed his eyes as if completely regretful as hearing tahans words- you just realise the genuine friendships that were formed in this show. I think Ben and Drew’s friendship was one of the more intriguing ones. I do believe Drew nominated thinking he would be safe to get rid of the hms he didn’t think were strong enough to compete against him. Never vote as a safe vote. It just doesn’t always work out.

@bleachy_dude something I noticed is Tim seemed to have a cup of ice a lot of the time and would chew on the ice. It really stood out in one of the episodes. My sensitive teeth could never!

On rewatch of these episodes, I have no idea how I felt initially to this scene, and forgot how it was perceived by the public, but Drew being grumpy about one of the dinner topics is one of the highlights and favourite things so far. Omg! It’s so freaking funny! He is as so freaking funny! It sounded like us on the boards at the many times we complained. I have not related to a hm as much as I did in that very moment 😂

I’m now up to day 87, eviction day.

You know what? Drew is actually the most entertaining of the hms at this point of time in the show. He is having fun, providing drama, providing exceptional commentary, his face and body gestures to situations is on point. Like Tahan I think he is just whatever about situations.

Love boog! Perfect pairing with Drew. I think for Drew, boog is his getaway from being caught up in all the mind games, seriousness and him getting bored. On the downside, she really is bad for Tim’s game play. Tim doesn’t know how to handle it and I’m feeling for him because he seems a little lost in it all. He kind of loses his mojo in these episodes.

The freeze challenge- I loved it all!

Tim’s dad is the star of this! The combination of Tim’s dad and the dad jokes and Tim’s reactions are everything!

I was actually kind of thinking this as I was watching it. I still think his constant “I’m going to bring Tim undone … play those cards blah blah” was a bit frustrating. But he definitely wasn’t as bad as I had remembered.
I really wanted him to play those cards! I would have enjoyed seeing ed take Tim on.

Going back to this comment.

Nah I’m back to Ed being a douche. His high and mighty during the lunch after nominations and jade was up was really frustrating to watch. The remainder of hms weren’t trying to act like they were perfect beings and admitted they had faults through out the show, but Ed acts as if he is beyond having faults. Unfortunately he was so desperate to outdo Tim or pin anything on him, he truly lost his marbles. So satisfying watching his face when he was told he was evicted, so satisfying. But the most satisfying part was during the trick or treat special and Drew and Tim also were satisfied to see Ed was a liar because he had nominated Jade.

Btw that trick or treat special (most recent watched) was something. Firstly, the rock explainations by far my favourite thing to see on any bb- by far! So well thought out, each rock perfectly describing and matching the hms, and incredibly touching. I admit I did tear up with Tully’s explaination. It’s obvious Tim sees people deeply.

Now the actual trick or treat part. I don’t think I truly processed it the first time. Wow! A lot to unpack here and a lot of summations made from it now with hindsight in play. I think the most talked about aspect would have to be jade in this.

I can see why jade came second. That trick treat special definitely would have elicited a strong response from her fan base and also others thinking she was given the bad edit and added to the idea she was the victim. I think with the edit and how jade came across, it just heightened it all. However, taking away the emotional attachment of it, I can see why she received the edit she did. She really didn’t have any highlighting experiences to show, most would have been laying around with Ed, talking to Ed about a future, nothing that truly stood out imo from what I was watching and those edits were the few that could trigger a response. I think the fact she kept acting with moral ground only made her edits worse too. She couldn’t actually laugh at them like Tahan who owned who she is and really didn’t care, so for jade, it made her paranoid and embarrassed because she began to overthink everything about her own behaviour.

At the end of it they are all the same- faults and all, but it’s the ones who try to arc over others that are left mortified because the realisation is we’ve all had a good and bad side. Like my above post about Ed. He declared some kind of loyal grounding and caused a stir over Drew and Tim nominating jade when he had already done it. It looks so much worse

I love your commentary sweet geek, so insightful and you really live up to your name with it.

And yes I am glad you went back to Ed being a douche because this is how I have consistently felt. People say Jade robbed him of his proper experience, the only way that this is true is because she exposed his douchey ways and that his stupid Prince Charming schtick was not completely genuine.

Jade was super cringe and I did feel for Ed, but I sense he would have just ghosted her in the real world anyway.

I think so too. He saw this as nothing more than a hook up. the relationships didn’t do anyone favours I think in general. Especially for communities out there especially with people addressing tully being able to change back. Obviously that’s bs, but groups ran with it and I imagine the backlash to Tully was also because of that too.

The Drew and tully thing was weird though. As much as I loved Drew after tully left again, he didn’t seem like he wanted to go all in either. I imagine it was too publicised for him and he was wanted to take his name out of it? I just don’t know, their intensity didn’t translate after she left.

Drew seemed to be able to do one on one with many. You saw him build a good friendship with Tim, boog, jade early on, Tahan- he was one of those people who could fit any situation. I think maybe if he and tully hadn’t isolated and co depended on one another, they relationship would have just been another house friendship, but it all got messy and really didn’t eventuate to anything.

I really wanted him to play those cards! I would have enjoyed seeing ed take Tim on.
I think he thought he could take on Tim, but that’s when he had others on board. I think he knew he was in way over his head taking Tim on solo. He had to know and that’s why he was so caught up in magnifying situations imo. Or maybe he felt responsible to honour those who went and made it his mission to bring Tim down but realised quickly he couldn’t. He just focussed way too hard on this and I think not just the jade thing but obsession with Tim, ruined his experience in the end where he couldn’t just enjoy himself.

His eviction talk surprised me in one area where he mentions Tahan nominating him was the biggest surprise. And he showed the most reaction to this comment. I do think the perfect guy went to his head where he believed none of the girls would dare to nominate him and Tahan being well Tahan probably hit him because ultimately she kind of picked Tim over him. Another blow. I didn’t feel sorry for him in the least. Just the jade thing made me feel sorry for him because he didn’t know how to handle this. But the rest, no guts no glory.

I’m up to the finale!!!!

I do think the house dynamics changed once mikkayla left and think had Ed left sooner, we would have seen a resolution between the remainder of the hms sooner. Like Drew, jade was lost for those few days I feel- I think it may have been a codependent response after affect of their house partner leaving.

I’m glad Tim only had a short moment of almost throwing it away. The boog thing almost became his undoing and I do think had this happened earlier, well I’m not sure he could have gotten over the line. She really did get under his skin and as much as I love Tim, she showed him being hypocritical in sitauations and it wasn’t so much that, but his reactions kind of come across as entitled and that’s never a good look on a hm. So I’m really really REALLY glad that was short lived and at the end of the show because that had potential to build momentum and the wrong winner would have been announced.

If I’m honest, I think Drew was the most likeable hm for the end part of the show. Tahan was just having fun and didn’t really have a story or anything to give her a highlight, which is great but you do need something to elicit a response from the audience, even if she is reacting badly because her fan base would go even harder I think. Drew was now being seen and it was a great way for him to end the series. It’s the Drew everyone remembered and wanted. And I stand by saying had he remained without the tully stuff, he really had potential to win this. But overall Tim was the biggest influence on this show. Drew summed him up perfectly being confident without being arrogant, unique, different, and though older, brings out an energy. And he brought out an energy in the house which many benefited in. I guess I’ll just enjoy the finale as it is.

Back