Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

One show I think the Americans actually did better.
Yes. It was one show I thought never had a chance given how British, now Northern, how Manchester the original was, but it's by far the best adaptation of a UK show I've seen and quite interesting to see it go in different directions given they kept most of the original cast for the entire run.

Still waiting for Netflix to make the final season available in the UK and I'm wondering if they ever will now. They've always been about a year behind but we're not at 18 months or so meaning I've practically given up and will have to look at other sources instead.

Yes. It was one show I thought never had a chance given how British, now Northern, how Manchester the original was, but it's by far the best adaptation of a UK show I've seen and quite interesting to see it go in different directions given they kept most of the original cast for the entire run.

Still waiting for Netflix to make the final season available in the UK and I'm wondering if they ever will now. They've always been about a year behind but we're not at 18 months or so meaning I've practically given up and will have to look at other sources instead.
Queer as Folk walked so Shameless could run.

Ah well yes. I can relate to that problem. I am a notoriously bad sleeper. It is quite stressful.
Some days my brain doesn’t work as well as it should. If you want to see me at my most blunt, talk to me after a few days of bad sleep. I don’t even have to try, literally everything that comes out of my mouth just sounds terrible. It makes what I do for a living extremely difficult.

Because my brain is fried due to lack of quality sleep.

Ah well yes. I can relate to that problem. I am a notoriously bad sleeper. It is quite stressful.
I can sympathise with you both. I begun having sleeping problems 15 years ago & my doctor prescribed sleeping tablets which I became addicted too as I needed at least 5-6 hours so I could do a productive day at work.

I retired last year and this last 6 months have been weening myself off the sleeping tablets... Wow, such an up & down ride.. I have to be very vigilant and get into bed by 10pm so I can catch my first sleep (waves) around 10.30-11pm - if I manage to do that then I can snag a good nights sleep without pills. If I miss it, there is about a 20% chance I can sleep on my own volition, otherwise I need a pill..

Some nights I lay in bed for up to 3 hours as my brain just wont switch off & if I go past 4am I cant take a pill as it wont kick in before 5 & then I risk sleeping till 10 or 11am (that's bad because if someone wakes me up during this time I cant get back to sleep and then have a terrible day of lolling about half under the influence of a sleeping pill. I cant get motivated to do anything & become a grumpy pants until my next sleep.)

When I retired I moved to a small farm and built a house - part of that house I made out of a shipping container. I purposely made the shipping container addition with no windows - it is a very dark room. It is my bedroom so I don't get any outside lights, moon, sun etc - some days I sleep in until 8 or 9am..

I envy my father - he was one of those people who would put his head on the pillow & within 10 mins be fast asleep for 7, 8+ hours - I wish I had that ability...

I’m up to the final week of 2013 and I’m watching the trick or treat live special.
the scene where Tim explains all his rocks gave me all the feels again.
starts at 11:20

Oh that’s good progress! I think my main takeaway from that night was the introduction of Jade’s dad. Not sure why I loved him so much lol.

I really believe Drew could have won 2013. I think he would have had a chance at least, but looking back at these episodes he really did have it in the bag. He was friends with Tim, mischievous, drool worthy, almost the perfect hm. the tully thing did destroy those chances. I’m sure he has looked back on it and thought the same too. I can’t remember how he was seen on these boards but I’m pretty sure guys and girls found him likeable.

I now remembered why I began to dislike heidi- she overestimated her influence over others. Finished watching the episode where Tim placed himself for eviction. I now remember the entitled reactions that had me heated the first time round. This was also what put Tahan ahead of everyone in the moment as she didn’t seem to care what Tim’s decisions were and didn’t take them personally. She still laughed with him, sat with him, kicked a ball with him, even knowing she could very well be going home yet didn’t act entitled to him not saving her over mikkayla. By far the strongest females in that house were moo and Tahan. Watching this again, I totally see why Tahan and Tim were my fave hands down. Tim was brilliant btw. I forgot how much I loved the part where tully and Drew hear Tim talking about tully and she says she right here and he says he doesn’t mind 😂

I’ve finally finished 2013.

I really loved it every bit as much as I did back in 2013. A wonderful mix of fascinating people.

The most deserving winner of all time imo.

(I can’t believe it almost could have been Jade, I don’t have a massive issue with her, but I think it certainly would have changed my overall opinion of the series on reflection if Jade had won).

Tim is inimitable. He knows what makes great TV and I really believe he is so fun to watch because his chaos is not malicious. There are others who try to be as entertaining but don’t tread that line as masterfully as Tim is able to. I don’t think I will ever love watching someone as much as Tim.

Alex Mav copped a lot from this forum at the time, but I applaud him for this series. It’s a shame 2014 was a bit of an unmitigated mess. I feel like 2013 is a good example of balancing getting to know and see the personal interactions of the hms while having enough twists and challenges to keep it interesting for new generations.

I’ve finally finished 2013.

I really loved it every bit as much as I did back in 2013. A wonderful mix of fascinating people.

The most deserving winner of all time imo.

(I can’t believe it almost could have been Jade, I don’t have a massive issue with her, but I think it certainly would have changed my overall opinion of the series on reflection if Jade had won).

Tim is inimitable. He knows what makes great TV and I really believe he is so fun to watch because his chaos is not malicious. There are others who try to be as entertaining but don’t tread that line as masterfully as Tim is able to. I don’t think I will ever love watching someone as much as Tim.

Alex Mav copped a lot from this forum at the time, but I applaud him for this series. It’s a shame 2014 was a bit of an unmitigated mess. I feel like 2013 is a good example of balancing getting to know and see the personal interactions of the hms while having enough twists and challenges to keep it interesting for new generations.
The cast of 2013 is undoubtedly one of the best collective group of hms. I think this is what elevated the series. Even the boring hm had something to offer in some ways. A strong group of hms indeed. I’m so glad jade didn’t win because like you said I do think it would have taken away the overall feeling of how I felt about this series too and many others as well. I think the idea of jade was relatable, and so many things were overlooked about her because people held onto a false image she was a damsel in distress that needed to find themselves- an immature relation imo because that’s a basic 22 year old in general. In saying that I would have been happy if Tahan won as well 😉 (sorry my bias on her will never change). However from a memorable effect, Tim winning really brought the show to the status it is in currently. And it introduced the strategist play so effectively. The man is just pure delight to watch- chaos, brilliance, intelligence, heart and soul, unapologetic, all wrapped up in one. The few times a player/ hm is deserving of a win. Without Tim, 2013 would not have measured to what it was. The end.

I’m still sour about Drew ruining his chances the way he did. He easily could have sat beside Tim in the finale. And I’m annoyed with myself for not seeing the potential of mikkayla. I think she definitely was the underdog of the season as she had everyone targeting her, and yet overcame that and still had the resilience to carry on unapologetically. That is strength in itself.

I just finished watching the live nominations where they had to vote strategically and Matt had the ultimate super power to eliminate 10 points. So I’m still a long way to go. But prior to this was Caleb’s eviction and that was all down to Tim imo. It was his craftiness that led to this.

The cast of 2013 is undoubtedly one of the best collective group of hms. I think this is what elevated the series. Even the boring hm had something to offer in some ways. A strong group of hms indeed. I’m so glad jade didn’t win because like you said I do think it would have taken away the overall feeling of how I felt about this series too and many others as well. I think the idea of jade was relatable, and so many things were overlooked about her because people held onto a false image she was a damsel in distress that needed to find themselves- an immature relation imo because that’s a basic 22 year old in general. In saying that I would have been happy if Tahan won as well 😉 (sorry my bias on her will never change). However from a memorable effect, Tim winning really brought the show to the status it is in currently. And it introduced the strategist play so effectively. The man is just pure delight to watch- chaos, brilliance, intelligence, heart and soul, unapologetic, all wrapped up in one. The few times a player/ hm is deserving of a win. Without Tim, 2013 would not have measured to what it was. The end.

I’m still sour about Drew ruining his chances the way he did. He easily could have sat beside Tim in the finale. And I’m annoyed with myself for not seeing the potential of mikkayla. I think she definitely was the underdog of the season as she had everyone targeting her, and yet overcame that and still had the resilience to carry on unapologetically. That is strength in itself.

I just finished watching the live nominations where they had to vote strategically and Matt had the ultimate super power to eliminate 10 points. So I’m still a long way to go. But prior to this was Caleb’s eviction and that was all down to Tim imo. It was his craftiness that led to this.
I might fit in another series before you finish ahah. I am just watching the launch show of season one.

I can’t really remember how I felt about Tahan watching it at the time. My memory of Tim is so much stronger for obvious reasons. But I LOVED Tahan in this rewatch. I think I would have been happy for Tahan to win, but I still don’t feel like it would have been such an iconic winner. My bias will never change BAHAHA.

Drew was far more interesting than I had remembered.

I might fit in another series before you finish ahah. I am just watching the launch show of season one.

I can’t really remember how I felt about Tahan watching it at the time. My memory of Tim is so much stronger for obvious reasons. But I LOVED Tahan in this rewatch. I think I would have been happy for Tahan to win, but I still don’t feel like it would have been such an iconic winner. My bias will never change BAHAHA.

Drew was far more interesting than I had remembered.
Yes I agree. I think my soured opinion on Drew from this years made me forget his potential from the 2013 series. He is definitely more cynical this time round. In saying that and focussing on the 2013 version, he is incredibly smart and perceptive, and his natural attachment to Tim kind of showed who he was as a person too- likeable if that is not clear. He was kind of love bombed and it all went downhill thereafter unfortunately.

Tahan is Tim in some ways with her unapologetic behaviour and tendency not to take everything so seriously. Her and mikk are by far the strongest girls of this season. Tahan’s little walk saying “you’re all threatened by this” was iconic for me, especially compared to the others reactions. Even though she and Tim fought and then made up and fought and then mucked around again- you can see similarities in their whatever attitude. The jacket thrown over fence and cord cut off the curlers 😂.

And agree, Tim def needed to win to make this 2013 series what it is

This thread is definitely my favourite. I mean, not as good as OT in it’s glory days obviously, but it’s the best.

My lovely wife doesn’t understand how I can rewatch old seasons and I like to tell her when someone replies to a comment on YouTube only a week or so after I posted it as proof I’m not the only “loser”, I was excited to tell her that the forum was discussing the same season I had just finished. It’s so good to find my people!

I love this thread too! My husband thinks I’m weird and then I remind him he watches me myself and Irene, as well as anchorman on repeat as well (in fact any will Ferrell movie 🤦🏻‍♀️) so he doesn’t qualify to have an opinion on what I watch 😂.

My eldest ended up catching some flu, and then hubby took a hit so I ended up flying through many episodes in the last couple of days. Sleep was not even on my radar, I had my headphones and my laptop while staying up. I did forward a lot too though like whenever sonya was on my screen, the contrived stuff which unfortunately was to do with ben a lot of the time, there were repeats in the eviction shows and then the following show after, so skipped some of those parts too, some of the feat night stuff because really didn’t add much to my viewing experience. Anyways I have finished watching day 68. It ended with Tim declaring to Drew at the end of the night that he loves boog. I giggled because at the time we didn’t fathom how this would all turn out. I bet he rolls his eyes now at this particular scene too. It was also the episode and now when watching and it built up to this from prior episodes- you realise Tahan takes a different view to the others- her thoughts are independent to those around her, just like Tim. These two didn’t need a pack to survive they do it on their own. Regardless if you agreed with their opinions or decisions, you know they didn’t care and would beat to their own drum. But I do like they became more vulnerable as the show progressed.

There are lots of things I forgot about how heated I became about certain situations and on second viewing of this series, I realise how much my opinions have also grown, and wish I could have recognised things I hadn’t initially

Whatever happened to Justynn btw- I felt like that ended so abruptly

Back