Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Yes all social media had to be handed over to production.

What is the justification? Just background checking?

They probably end up seeing a lot of photos of nudity where the subject never consented for them to be shown to other people.

Some freaky scenes. There was a scene where they discussed what the secret is and Trevor guessed that the prize money would be $1,000,000 having no idea that he was not only right, but that he would go on to win it. On Day 30 Bree was telling Trevor she believes she will come 2nd, also having no idea that she has guessed right and is also talking to the person she would eventually lose to.

Some freaky scenes. There was a scene where they discussed what the secret is and Trevor guessed that the prize money would be $1,000,000 having no idea that he was not only right, but that he would go on to win it. On Day 30 Bree was telling Trevor she believes she will come 2nd, also having no idea that she has guessed right and is also talking to the person she would eventually lose to.
And nowadays we'd just think that was proof the whole thing was scripted to get the producers desired outcome.

What is the justification? Just background checking?

They probably end up seeing a lot of photos of nudity where the subject never consented for them to be shown to other people.
The justification was to make sure people weren’t talking.

If you were to ask me what episode of BB4 sticks out the most I'd say without doubt the Day 32 daily show. The watermelon task where Paul is so bored he decides to throw the task to stir the pot. I remember watching this for the first time clear as day and absolutely hating Paul for it. Now, I think it's hilarious TV and that Paul is a genius. He was essentially Tim Dormer before Tim Dormer was Tim Dormer.

The pacing of the season has picked up a lot since Krystal has left and other personalities have room to shine. Ashalea is one my favourite forgotten housemates, Terri is a fun underdog that has highs and lows, Bree was a sidekick and is now the alpha male and Paul is one of the strongest stand outs of a housemate so far.

One small annoyance I have with BB2,3 and 4 is that Uncut is so uneventful compared to the first season. Sara-Marie is pivotal for uncut.

(okay scratch that last comment)

Just watched Day 32 Uncut and there was a conversation about having a same sex experience for $10,000. Fitzy was adamant on it being easier for girls to engage in same sex activity than males. Paul was quick to jump on Bree's side of disagreeing and argued that it circumstantial. Boys will slap each others butts on the footy field indicating in some settings it isn't as hard. Fitzy also asked Paul if he would react differently to seeing two males or females kissing and Paul said no same reaction which would be no reaction. My opinion on Paul has pretty much done a 180.

Last edited:
I was waiting for this after your initial impression when you started the rewatch!

If you're anything like me, by the end of the season you'll wish he won.
That well likely be the case. I still find Trevor boring. In saying that he's better than Peter and Ben. But I have always been a Bree truther. It seems like she probably emerges as a big character in the second half so we shall see how I feel about Bree vs Paul.

I've spent my entire morning and day watching BB. And since now I'm positive with Covid I have another week to do the same thing lol. I'll probably be watching Vesna in BB5 by the end of my isolation.

The Miriam episodes have to be some of the most uncomfortable BB episodes to watch. It’s shocking just how little tack some of them have when addressing her transition. Fitzy being the douchiest of them all… “I never doubted” as he holds his finger up.

The Miriam episodes have to be some of the most uncomfortable BB episodes to watch. It’s shocking just how little tack some of them have when addressing her transition. Fitzy being the douchiest of them all… “I never doubted” as he holds his finger up.
Thats the exact episode I am watching right now. I have only just realised now that Channel 10 seemed to be really obsessed with throwing in celebs to visit the housemates or ex Housemates for ratings stunts. Anushka in 2003, Miriam in 2004, Nadia in 2005, Kyle in 2007 and the silly amount that 2008 had. And didn't the wiggles and Bert Newton visit the celeb version? And then again for Ben's birthday in 2013. Australian BB was really obsessed with special guests. For what reason?

Thats the exact episode I am watching right now. I have only just realised now that Channel 10 seemed to be really obsessed with throwing in celebs to visit the housemates or ex Housemates for ratings stunts. Anushka in 2003, Miriam in 2004, Nadia in 2005, Kyle in 2007 and the silly amount that 2008 had. And didn't the wiggles and Bert Newton visit the celeb version? And then again for Ben's birthday in 2013. Australian BB was really obsessed with special guests. For what reason?
Blatant Cross Promo. Channel TEN had the rights to There's Something About Miriam that year. Carson Kressley in 2008 went in not once, but multiple times as part of his (then) new show How To Look Good Naked, also shown on TEN.

I also remember how bizarre and kinda awkward/cringe it was when they chucked Jensen Ackles on for guest appearance on Good News Week of all things towards the end of the US Writer's Strike in early 2008 (because Ten had Supernatural).

I suppose it was kinda the same as just over a decade later having Lindsay Lohan trying to guess Australian Celebrities on Masked Singer AU not having much of a clue, because iirc Good News Week would reference some local news as well as international (like Have You Been Paying Attention? does).

Last edited:
Blatant Cross Promo. Channel TEN had the rights to There's Something About Miriam that year. Carson Kressley in 2008 went in not once, but multiple times as part of his (then) new show How To Look Good Naked, also shown on TEN.
Makes more sense. I always just thought it was their attempt to be woke.

I've spent my entire morning and day watching BB. And since now I'm positive with Covid I have another week to do the same thing lol. I'll probably be watching Vesna in BB5 by the end of my isolation.
"No boss - I honestly have covid and don't just want to stay in bed all week watching old Big Brother."

I can understand what you mean. The first time I watched this a lot of it went over my head. But today this would absolutely not fly. All of the boys saying "I picked it first" "I was the first to ask" was really cringe and unnecessary. You're not a champion for picking up something and discussing it behind her back for an entire day.

Watching Merlin's eviction. And straight from the get go Gretel handled the whole thing well. Not one second of her not actively doing something or attempting to fill in air. You can tell the whole situation threw her off but she did incredible for going off script. I don't know how I feel about Merlin's protest. It brings attention to the situation but there would have been people who think negatively of it due to how he did it. I appreciate it as a television moment. I'm sure behind closed doors Kris Noble was silently rubbing his hands together at the potential ratings hit that would be.

I struggle to really understand the dislike of Merlin. Reading the whirlpool forums and there is a lot of dislike. I mean yeah he was a bit more emotional than what the rest of the guys were, and looking at the there nominees Terri and Paul bring too much to the show and there was no reason as yet to evict Bree and Catherine, and with Gretel's whole don't vote out the entertaining people that would have helped Paul out so I guess Merlin was just the obvious choice of who was nominated. But did it warrant 46% in a five way vote? Personally I would have picked Terri or Bree to go, Paul must have had a dedicated fanbase.

I would have to guess Catherine received the 4%, but the 19% 18% and 13% confuses me. I'd guess maybe Terri was 19% Paul 18% and Bree 13%. I don't like that from here Channel TEN don't show the faces to the %. I need to know info it annoys me lol.

Makes more sense. I always just thought it was their attempt to be woke.
No it wasn’t woke at all. It was all about controversy: “oh my gosh she used to be a man and can the housemates guess it?”. The thing is at the time I am pretty sure Fitzy would have seen promos for “There’s Something About Miriam” on 10 because they were airing a few weeks before the 4th season of BB began. That’s my theory anyway because Fitzy knew straight away the deal with Miriam.

Miriam and Carson Kressley were definitely used as cross promotion for 10 shows. IIRC in reality Carson only visited the house for a day but 10 aired two 30 min “specials” where he gives the HMs a makeover over two weeks on a Wednesday night straight after the daily show.

Now I am reminded that Pamela Anderson went in the house that season too. She had a quick visit as well but they played it in real time unlike Carson. IIRC it was announced around this time that Big Brother would be cancelled.

I am pretty sure the other special guests like international housemates was because with its 3 month run and housemate numbers dwindling they needed something to keep it interesting towards the end.

I don’t know if it was just my experience but there was a lot of Homophobia and it being socially acceptable in the early 2000s so shows like “There’s Something About Miriam” was fuelling that fire. When the men who participated in the show found out the truth they weren’t very happy as you can imagine.

-

I think people who had a problem with Merlin’s “Free Th Refugees” were uneducated and didn’t understand his message. There would have been a lot of racist views involved as well. The issue of Asylum Seekers was a pretty big topic in Australia in the early 2000s.

I don’t know if it was just my experience but there was a lot of Homophobia and it being socially acceptable in the early 2000s so shows like “There’s Something About Miriam” was fuelling that fire. When the men who participated in the show found out the truth they weren’t very happy as you can imagine.

-

I think people who had a problem with Merlin’s “Free Th Refugees” were uneducated and didn’t understand his message. There would have been a lot of racist views involved as well. The issue of Asylum Seekers was a pretty big topic in Australia in the early 2000s.
I can only speculate as I was only a child during those years. Being a teenager in the 2010s and now being in my early twenties its a whole different ball game. No one my age bats an eye lid about it. My own high school experience was incredibly smooth. Most young straight men are very comfortable around other gay guys even when giving a hug or simple conversation. At least where I come from anyway.

As for Merlin what you just said is pretty much correct, those who had an issue were uneducated. It would have sucked for people who paid to see an eviction show, but in retrospect it would be cool to say you saw this event play out live. As a viewer Merlin's protest does nothing wrong to me. Just from what it seems it would have only lead to elucidating the more subdued racism that existed at the time (which tbh still exists).

Back