• Stay steady around 450k

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Average in the lower 400 thousands

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Get this show cancelled

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters
does anyone count the VIP season? LOL
The first week and a bit wasn't actually that bad. We got to know quite a bit about the housemates, much more than in the normal version. Once Omarosa and Kaitlyn left though.......Luke streamrolled, Josh was his lacky and Ellie was the only other housemate with an actual brain in the house.

Just looked at Total TV figures. The Sunday episode last week was obviously missed by a lot of people who didn't know it was on and didn't bother to catch up when they realised. It rated just 607,000, far and away the lowest rated ep of the season on Total TV figures. I'll post the final chart for the season on Wednesday.

1658129663981.png

Total TV for the finale came in at 750,000, below the season's average of 768,000. You can see on the graph after Ep 7 it only once drew more than 800k. Seems it's been renewed for another season on these numbers so go figure.

1658289425194.png

Total TV for the finale came in at 750,000, below the season's average of 768,000. You can see on the graph after Ep 7 it only once drew more than 800k. Seems it's been renewed for another season on these numbers so go figure.

View attachment 59114

Channel 7’s refusal to pay more than the minimal appearance fee to housemates let us know that this was a cheap production but it must be REALLY cheap to be renewed on those numbers. Clearly a lot of the catch up viewers didn’t see the point in watching the finale once Reggie was doing the media rounds.

It seems that the benefit in BB is solely the traffic that it drives to 7Plus and possibly flow on usage?

With Seven pinning their hopes on Million Dollar Island sold around the world by Talpa then becoming one of the biggest flops in Dutch TV history it's now emerged that NBC, who picked up the US rights, have abandoned plans for their own version.

Like most of John de Mol’s reality concepts Million Dollar Island was bound to fail. It’s far too basic a format and lacks any real structure. In the modern era of Reality TV there just isn’t enough interest in bare bones formats. Or at least not on Network Television. If you’re going to do a show like this it’s got to be high drama, competitive, and have a clear winner.

I also don't understand why they only gave away a fraction of the million Euro prize in the Dutch version in the end. What was it? 170k? Where did the rest go?

I also don't understand why they only gave away a fraction of the million Euro prize in the Dutch version in the end. What was it? 170k? Where did the rest go?
Apparently if they need anything on the island the cost of it comes out of the prize fund.

Apparently if they need anything on the island the cost of it comes out of the prize fund.
What a scam. Sounds like the $1m prize on BBAU that kept dropping for rule breaking - but at least they didn't lose >80% of it! Although the Logans won so I kinda wish they had tbh.

Sounds like it's basically a mesh of Survivor, The Island with Bear Gryllis and Stranded With a Million Dollars (the only show ever where being an asshole from day 1 was the correct strategy) all in one show. I wonder if it might be a little too contrived for the average fan.

View attachment 59114
I really cannot get over this. I mean if there was some hype I’d get it. But no one talks about bb that I know of. It used to be something we all spoke about proudly, now it’s my dirty little secret that I do watch it- like I’m ashamed to say it to peope. But these numbers must be enough to be a filler, but for 250k prize? They must get paid from the endorsements because it doesn’t make sense

The prize money is just a fraction of the cost of producing the series - works out just over $8k per episode which is probably covered by just one or two ads within the ep.

No doubt they’ll somehow claim a lot through tax- cost of groceries to feed hms, costumes, etc, payments on gas, electricity and water, but I still don’t understand with the viewing how they are making money to be giving away money. If it’s a show where there is no prize, I get it. But honestly can’t make sense of it. You’d need to pay staff, camera men, etc. I’m sad to say it, but how is bb even worthy of still being on the screen based on all this is a wonder

No doubt they’ll somehow claim a lot through tax- cost of groceries to feed hms, costumes, etc, payments on gas, electricity and water, but I still don’t understand with the viewing how they are making money to be giving away money. If it’s a show where there is no prize, I get it. But honestly can’t make sense of it. You’d need to pay staff, camera men, etc. I’m sad to say it, but how is bb even worthy of still being on the screen based on all this is a wonder
I heard that back in the 10 days BB cost around 30 to 40 million per series to make and channel 7 are doing it for about a third of the cost

I suspect the real life Squid Games for Netflix will similarly fail too.

Why do you think it’ll fail? Netflix are going to market the hell out of that show to a global audience and the gigantic prize money (plus assumably very over the top and elaborate set pieces) are going to be very alluring to viewers.

Because 456 contestants will make it difficult for viewers to connect with participants, so they won't care who wins. And it doesn't really matter if they're playing for $456 or $4.56m.

Back