Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2022 - Episode 21 Discussion (21 June, 7:30pm)

Was Taras' "Big Move" a good move?

• Yes - it might win him some votes if he makes Final 3

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No - his actions had a beloved OG removed, it will lose him votes if he makes Final 3

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Yes - the housemates no longer see him as flying under the radar

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • No - he's put a target on himself (from the OGs in particular)

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Also, the Gabbie move was actually incredibly smart. She needed to not have Johnson up there against Drew because Drew has a much better chance of staying against me or Brenton than he does against Johnson.
Wouldn't it have been a tad smarter to not target Johnson in the first place, in that case?

I mean, all the hooha with Reg must stick to this plan, and hide in the laundry room to circumvent her usual behaviour of blurting out the plan to the person who is about to be nominated... Why bother making an enemy of Reg, and creating distrust with Estelle? Why not put points on Brenton, if that was the ultimately hoped for outcome.

Tim is my all time favourite game player. I’ve said it before, I found the Estelle exchange distressing as I like them both. But I still wouldn’t mind if Tim wins this season.

Yeah, I think I also wouldn't mind if Tim wins. What Tim said to Estelle on social media was not right. On that, we all agree. If he wins this season, then I will probably justify it in my mind as him winning because of what he did inside the house ... which was clearly all done before the social media post. In other words, if he wins, then he won on the merits of the achievements and strategies done during his time spent in the house, long before the social media incident. Sadly for him though, I very much doubt the voting public will think along these same lines. And probably fair enough, too. I don't condone what he said, and he should apologise or make good (and he may have even already done so), but, at least for me, if he does win, then that is how I will justify it in my mind.

I’m fully guilty of wanting Reggie to win regardless of how she plays so this newbies v OGs is a bit flawed in this way. But I guess the up side is that you got to live with some BB Royalty that others would love to have the chance to do. Is that enough of a benefit?

I’m sure living with some ex-BB housemates is no substitute for 250k! Taras loves money and friends can be bought remember 😈

Yep I agree with so much here. I do think though that it is sort of chalk and cheese comparing the old format with this one. Like, they are just SO totally different, because like you said, the old versions were pretty much just personality that carried you, strategy just wasnt really part of it.

I think it just seems us newbies are focused on gameplay because thats all you are shown. There was so much quirky, funny, interesting stuff we got up to in there. Its just annoying because its a subtle thing, but reading your post you stop the buck with us, that its US HMs that are laser focused on gameplay, the WE lost sight of the damage we're doing our end game, but like, we dont get to choose what they show of us, and how they show it. Ive been lambasted for lying to Drew and Tully, but even Reggie lied straight to Gabbies face countless times about the exact same thing. I bring Reg up because she is seen as the moral compass of the show, but even the moral compass did "selfish" things to further their game. I say "selfish" in commas because this iteration is a friggen game haha! Like none of you play monopoly to lose do you?!

Tim is the only one who I think is a freak and could potentially be a Newbie that sways Australia. BUT, now that Ive experienced what I have with the public, I honestly think he would still have an incredibly hard time, because I dont even know if the producers would see and be able to portray his incredible nature correctly, and if Australia would embrace him more than an OG that was playing.
I agree with this! I don’t blame the HMs, although the casting can sometimes be a bit disappointing, but yes, I can completely see that the producers are failing to recognise the good stuff when they’ve got it, so we don’t get to see it. I know that all I have to go by is the edit, and I could have qualified my observations by saying so, but that’s a given! You know, I’ve never seen Reggie as the moral compass. She just seems to blithely drift through, completely guileless, so when she says something insensitive, or even callous, it just doesn’t seem offensive at all. In her season, I would have been happy for any of the top three to win. I’m happy Reggie won (and I’d be happy if she won again), but I was hoping for Chrissie, because she had such a generous spirit and she was smart. She played the game like a duck, with all the machinations beneath the surface, and came across as completely genuine, but at the end of the day, losing didn’t do her any harm… When you look at the few female winners, the thing they have in common is that they were seen as non-threatening. That’s the depressing thing about the game, that overtly strategic women don’t make it. Maybe this time! As for Tim, after the Twitter episode he might well have cooked his own goose if he makes final three.

Do you think the OG vs. Newb alliances was a good strategy? It kind of forces you into a position where you have to target beloved HMs.

Last edited:
I agree 1000 per cent with what Taras is saying. You could be the greatest personality that's ever been on Aus BB and have an impossible time beating Reggie or Tim at the end because they are the OGs and they are getting the better edits and you are mainly just getting strategy. That's why the format isn't really fair to the newbies.
Oh and just to be clear, I know its not "fair", but I also know a show like this isnt about being fair. Its about entertainment for the public. This isnt the olympics where its all about merit and is usually a quantifiable 'who is the best', its WWE wrestling.
I’m sure living with some ex-BB housemates is no substitute for 250k! Taras loves money and friends can be bought remember 😈
Hahaha exactly.
I’m finding this conversation very fascinating. Thanks for engaging long form here Taras.

So … I get that it might be frustrating that more social aspects of the game are not being shown. But had you watched previous series over the last 2 years? Like you all should be aware that this is what it is (good or bad)?

I’m fully guilty of wanting Reggie to win regardless of how she plays so this newbies v OGs is a bit flawed in this way. But I guess the up side is that you got to live with some BB Royalty that others would love to have the chance to do. Is that enough of a benefit?

Whether you get to the end and win or lose, now that some have turned against you and the show is definitely pressing in to the villain edit (I purposefully say ‘pressing in’ as opposed to creating or manufacturing) do you regret going on the show? Would you have preferred to be in a straight civilian series? Are you thankful for the experience you had?
I knew exactly what this game was coming in, and I did it anyway because why the fuck not. I actually would talk to Big Brother A LOT in the diary room about this format of BB vs Survivor. BB is a massive survivor fan, and Id talk about how hard it is to play this game while also having the added knowledge that its noone in the house that decides who the winner is, its all the public. At least with survivor youre being voted for by people that have usually seen most of your game and personality.

But can I also say, I knew EXACTLY what i was getting myself into. I knew that I may become the villain, I knew that its about perception not reality, i knew that it would be insanely difficult in any way to do well at this. But of course you say yes because its such a fucken incredible experience, and I am actually enjoying EVERY single second of it. I love the villain aspect of myself, the funny messages of "flog" im getting in my inbox haha. Its all in good fun.

Oh and just to be clear, I know its not "fair", but I also know a show like this isnt about being fair. Its about entertainment for the public. This isnt the olympics where its all about merit and is usually a quantifiable 'who is the best', its WWE wrestling.

Hahaha exactly.

I knew exactly what this game was coming in, and I did it anyway because why the fuck not. I actually would talk to Big Brother A LOT in the diary room about this format of BB vs Survivor. BB is a massive survivor fan, and Id talk about how hard it is to play this game while also having the added knowledge that its noone in the house that decides who the winner is, its all the public. At least with survivor youre being voted for by people that have usually seen most of your game and personality.

But can I also say, I knew EXACTLY what i was getting myself into. I knew that I may become the villain, I knew that its about perception not reality, i knew that it would be insanely difficult in any way to do well at this. But of course you say yes because its such a fucken incredible experience, and I am actually enjoying EVERY single second of it. I love the villain aspect of myself, the funny messages of "flog" im getting in my inbox haha. Its all in good fun.
Perfect response 👌🏽👌🏽👌🏽

Ive been lambasted for lying to Drew and Tully, but even Reggie lied straight to Gabbies face countless times about the exact same thing. I bring Reg up because she is seen as the moral compass of the show, but even the moral compass did "selfish" things to further their game. I say "selfish" in commas because this iteration is a friggen game haha! Like none of you play monopoly to lose do you?!
Personally when I play Monopoly I just want to buy all of the same colour so I can yell "MONOPOLY!"
People's complaints about lying and selfishness should be taken with a grain of salt. If you do something to help their favourite you'll get cheers, if you do something that hurts their fav you'll get boos.
The morality of people's actions isn't usually the issue if you think about it. I'll use Drew as an example, he had an issue with you being a liar but it's ok for him and the reason's because of who benefits from it. Fans are exactly the same. Think of them as hypocritical sports fans and everything makes more sense.
Remember this, if you're getting shit for going against someone's favourite, you didn't have their vote anyway so you didn't really lose all that much.

Hahaha exactly.

Haha of course. Everyone wants the 250k. Taras might still have a chance. Ya never know!

I guess what I’m saying is, if I was going to be in a season and not win, I would have loved to have the opportunity to live with and play the game with some BB royalty.

To be honest I think I’d be so star struck by Reggie and Tim I wouldn’t even know how to talk to them 😂

I am only tiny and not very bright, Bleachy!
Let’s say his aim might have been Johnson.
Tully gets evicted.
It would not be wise game play for him to come out and say that his actual target was Johnson. That would be bad strategically for a number of reasons. You’d put a target on your back from someone in the house still.
Ie. If it wasn’t Tully, he had to fake it and act happy regardless.

Wouldn't it have been a tad smarter to not target Johnson in the first place, in that case?

I mean, all the hooha with Reg must stick to this plan, and hide in the laundry room to circumvent her usual behaviour of blurting out the plan to the person who is about to be nominated... Why bother making an enemy of Reg, and creating distrust with Estelle? Why not put points on Brenton, if that was the ultimately hoped for outcome.
because Gabbie didnt know Drew was going to go up until the last second. Once she found out, her whole plan changed and she was like "the only way to save drew is to make it so that Johnson doesnt go up..".

Hahaha exactly.

It’s great that you’re giving us so much info but it shouldn’t get to the point that you feel you have to justify every move you made in there. We owe you for all the shirtless content! 🤣 Brenton who? (No, really)

I agree with this! I don’t blame the HMs, although the casting can sometimes be a bit disappointing, but yes, I can completely see that the producers are failing to recognise the good stuff when they’ve got it, so we don’t get to see it. I know that all I have to go by is the edit, and I could have qualified my observations by saying so, but that’s a given! You know, I’ve never seen Reggie as the moral compass. She just seems to blithely drift through, completely guileless, so when she says something insensitive, or even callous, it just doesn’t seem offensive at all. In her season, I would have been happy for any of the top three to win. I’m happy Reggie won (and I’d be happy if she won again), but I was hoping for Chrissie, because she had such a generous spirit and she was smart. She played the game like a duck, with all the machinations beneath the surface, and came across as completely genuine, but at the end of the day, losing didn’t do her any harm… When you look at the few female winners, the thing they have in common is that they were seen as non-threatening. That’s the depressing thing about the game, that overtly strategic women don’t make it. Maybe this time! As for Tim, after the Twitter episode he might well have cooked his own goose if he makes final three.

Do you think the OG vs. Newb alliances was a good strategy? It kind of forces you into a position where you have to target beloved HMs.
Can i also just say Im not belittling the producers and editors, and im not saying theyre doing a bad job or anything. MAYBE we didnt give them any good tv, or enough good stuff. I dont know?! I havent seen the raw footage. And like ive said, we knew what we were getting ourselves into with this format. And I am also, and have never been, pissed off or angry at my edit. Ive loved every second. The Tully thing is the only hard part for me because its hard to own being framed so petty and callous. But even so, I still love that Im the villain and was framed like that, because its interesting and fun.

There really wasnt any other way. The OGs just stuck together so so so tight. As soon as Tim or Drew tried to play their own game (which I must say they NEEDED to do, because they were in danger if they didnt), the emotional outrage and backlash from the OGs was SO extreme. Us Newbies tried so so hard to not play sides because in the end we were all meeting everyone for the first time, and you want to play the game with whom you connect with the most, be they OG or Newb.

It’s great that you’re giving us so much info but it shouldn’t get to the point that you feel you have to justify every move you made in there. We owe you for all the shirtless content! 🤣 Brenton who? (No, really)
Hahah omg youre welcome on the shirtless content, and im sure theres more coming. But the justification is SO MUCH MORE JUICY than whats shown!! Like how much better is the storyline Im portraying with its facets and flavours and spices, compared do the rice and bean (yes, a single bean) food that BB is showing. I love this shit so much, and its so fun to share it and talk about it and have people be like "well that was a fucken dumb move"....but then find out more info and go "actually, with that in mind, it makes sense"

Haha this is pretty funny. And I can hear you saying it in your unique cadence 🤣
i did too HAHAH
Yep I agree with so much here. I do think though that it is sort of chalk and cheese comparing the old format with this one. Like, they are just SO totally different, because like you said, the old versions were pretty much just personality that carried you, strategy just wasnt really part of it.

I think it just seems us newbies are focused on gameplay because thats all you are shown. There was so much quirky, funny, interesting stuff we got up to in there. Its just annoying because its a subtle thing, but reading your post you stop the buck with us, that its US HMs that are laser focused on gameplay, the WE lost sight of the damage we're doing our end game, but like, we dont get to choose what they show of us, and how they show it. Ive been lambasted for lying to Drew and Tully, but even Reggie lied straight to Gabbies face countless times about the exact same thing. I bring Reg up because she is seen as the moral compass of the show, but even the moral compass did "selfish" things to further their game. I say "selfish" in commas because this iteration is a friggen game haha! Like none of you play monopoly to lose do you?!

Tim is the only one who I think is a freak and could potentially be a Newbie that sways Australia. BUT, now that Ive experienced what I have with the public, I honestly think he would still have an incredibly hard time, because I dont even know if the producers would see and be able to portray his incredible nature correctly, and if Australia would embrace him more than an OG that was playing.
This is why the format is such a mind fuck because if you take the avenue of being a floater that puts you at risk, if you're out there making moves you are risking how you are going to be perceived. the public aren't going to necessarily give strategy a big weighting in who they vote for. they vote on personality, which is ultimately dictated by the producers... thats why social media has got such a huge leverage this format.. and producers dont like it because it gives back a slice of potential vote swing back to the HMs!!

Back