Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2021 - Episode 20 Discussion (2 June, 7:30pm)

What is your favourite supermarket?

• Coles

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Woolworths

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Aldi

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • IGA

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters
Although there was a very obvious goat in Season 2 of Survivor (Keith), the first time the goat strategy was successfully applied was in Season 5, when Brian took Clay (who he knew most of the jury hated) to the FTC with him and beat him.

Where the term was first used in survivor context. Though I'd argue using a goat in the context of audience voting is wrong.
Why? It’s the same concept. If you can predict who the voting public will dislike.

Goat comes from Survivor and basically means someone you would take with you to the end because you know in the end, you would beat them.
This, and the current version of the show has a lot of survivor elements in it now, so it only makes sense we see survivor terminology. Expressions like “head is on the chopping block”, “throw him under the bus” making their way in.

Immunity idol is like the key Daniel had. Focus is on being socially connected to the challenge beaasts, at least strategically. Having an arrangement of goats to go through to the end with. I think there is no doubt that Mary would have a lukewarm following, unless there is a lot of fun Mary that we don’t see?

This, and the current version of the show has a lot of survivor elements in it now, so it only makes sense we see survivor terminology. Expressions like “head is on the chopping block”, “throw him under the bus” making their way in.

Immunity idol is like the key Daniel had. Focus is on being socially connected to the challenge beaasts, at least strategically. Having an arrangement of goats to go through to the end with. I think there is no doubt that Mary would have a lukewarm following, unless there is a lot of fun Mary that we don’t see?

The key was probably more powerful than the immunity idol. And at least with the idol you have to search for it instead of being a producer's favourite.

The key was probably more powerful than the immunity idol. And at least with the idol you have to search for it instead of being a producer's favourite.

If you don't think that the producers let players know where the immunity idols are hidden, then you're very naive...

Fair enough. But I don't think the terms highlighted are strictly reserved for Survivor as they are common terms used everyday.

Goat however, is very different. I would have immediately understood a reference to 'lamb' meaning a sacrificial lamb but goat to me is just the greatest of all time...perhaps because I'm a a sports tragic.

Hack phrasing is the lifeblood of reality tv. All borrowed and stolen.
But the most crucial is....... THE JOURNEY.
A staple which spans all reality genres.

Reality TV contestants all have terrible home lives too.
No matter what show, they'd do anything rather than go home.

Speaking of hack phrasing, I wonder if anyone on the show watches BBUS/CAN.

I don’t remember anyone saying it last year, but this year a lot of the cast in BBAU talk about “floaters”. Espescially annoying since it’s coasters that don’t play the game, while floaters are the ones that are more strategic about laying low.

Back