Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2021 - Episode 19 Discussion (1 June, 7:30pm)

Who is your favourite Young Diva?

• Paulini Curuenavuli

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Kate DeAraugo

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Emily Williams

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Ricki-Lee Coulter

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Jessica Mauboy

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
If Australian Idol ever comes back, I doubt that the Touchdown will. In the final seasons (after Holden's firing) the other judges could only give a Touchdown if they donated to charity...

Why was Holden fired again?

Anyway the best aus idol contestant for me was Damien Leith

Why was Holden fired again?

Because the public thought he was a wanker. Literally, didn't he win "Wanker of the Year" twice? :p

Back in 2022. But on Channel 7.
So it'll be a cluster fuck.

Oh, so it'll go the way of Popstars :p hahaha. Does anyone remember that horrid Idol-like version of Popstars they did that they made to go up against the second season of Idol? They turfed half the judging panel halfway through hahaha.

Oh, so it'll go the way of Popstars :p hahaha. Does anyone remember that horrid Idol-like version of Popstars they did that they made to go up against the second season of Idol? They turfed half the judging panel halfway through hahaha.
Yeah it was Popstars: LIVE in 2004 (and i think Luke Jacobz hosted it before he did Ch 7 X Factor years later from 2010). But it was in the Q1 Feb-Apr-ish slot though off the back of the roaring success of Idol 2003. IIRC the judges were fighting against producers telling them to be more brutal in their comments for ratings or something (the wikipedia page has a bit of a story iirc).

Back on topics, I think Charlotte and Adriana the only intruders left now, could we be back to the OG OG's before the week is out?

Well it was only a taste of their times on Idol, and obviously they've all improved by leaps and bounds since then (some of these are nearly 20 years old hahaha).

Paulini, who came 4th in Season 1, was the only one of the Divas to never receive a critique about her vocals (Dicko, one of the judges, in fact said they didn't ever feel the need to) but did receive a rather nasty critique (that made massive news headlines here) about a gold dress:

Ricki-Lee was the hot favourite of Season 2, being described as the "party invite". She was criticised for a modern interpretation of "We Can Work It Out" on the Beatles night. Although it was still pretty good, the Australian public got very complacent and simply didn't vote for her, thinking she'd be safe. She came 7th, and is considered the most robbed contestant of any season of Australian Idol.

Emily Williams was generally considered the best vocallist of Season 3, receiving several "Touchdowns" (which in Australian Idol was the highest form of praise that could be given by a judge). Sadly she choked on the final 2 night and was pipped at the post.

(Can't find any of her top 2 performances).

Kate DeAraugo was the surprise winner of Season 3, having gotten through the competition by not ever being the best (until Final 2), just by never being the worst.

Jess Mauboy was the runner up of Season 4. At just 16 when she entered, she proved to be a powerhouse, but was hampered by her lack of experience, with the public ultimately voting for a far superior (at the time) vocallist.
Just curious, that is a splendid run down of the singers, Is music your business/passion? Such an interesting Forum & I am just about to make the one month mark. Many thanks again, for the analyses et alia. I admit, I was Simon Cowell & American Idol until he left for AGT. I still have vinyl, cds & a turntable, so I love music but don't need a contest for me to choose my playlist LOL
Cheers

Only thing I remember about her is when one of the judges decided to fat shame her on live TV and when he was meant to be critiquing her performance, he told to wear more appropriate clothing for her size or to lose weight. From memory, she wasn’t even that big.

Ah... what a different time 2003 was.

Back