Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2020 - Episode 2 Discussion (9 June) - Four new housemates enter

Are you Enjoying Big Brother Australia 2020 so far?

• Yes, It is Amazing.

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • No, It is Rubbish.

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Maybe, It is Mixed.

Votes: 58 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bugger, I was just watching the half of last night's episode I couldn't watch, and it cut out just as Dick-wit Allen was speaking to Sonia just before the eviction! ARGH!
Now I'm on catch up having to try and fast-forward to the last bit! I hate catch-up makes you watch the ads!

Okay, I'm there now.
Kieran is so harmless and good on him for his attitude in learning from his second nomination experience.
Good on Angela for getting emotional and caring about Kieran, I now see a side of her I quite like, as I didn't like her before.
Allan, too smug and cocky for my liking!

Dramatic Music!

YESSSSS! Allan!
Now to go back and read the rest of this thread!

So the housemates are just going to eliminate anyone who decides to actually play the game that they're all in...

Neat. Should make for an extremely boring and forgettable season.

Oooo I've never watched survivor, makes sense! I feel like they should have just renamed the whole show lol

It's a deliberate nostalgia play on fans of the show. Almost everything we loved about the original format is gone or distorted in some way but they play up the nostalgia just enough to hook us in.

Good example I can think of is crossing "live" to Sonia for evictions. Not strictly necessary but it reminds me of crossing live to the house for an eviction in the old days. It's all a little artificial now but it feels close enough to trigger those nostalgic memories.

Oh and also, even pre-recorded, tonight proved Sonia still can’t present naturally. She could barely change the tone of her voice so that it wasn’t plainly obvious she was being told what to ask the HMs, word-for-word. 🙄
I actually agree with this, Gretel has her beat by a landslide.

I was watching some old BB last night.. Focusing on CoughRayCough.. Nooo, I wasn't. It was just that season, but the first episode they did they're packets, let them in one by one, gave them dinner and drinks to sort of "break the ice" and once they'd sort of had dinner together, they chatted and then broke up into little groups and they focused on the HM's you learnt their names quickly. Although this new season did parts, it's not focusing on the HM's as such.

Lets hope this new side show fixes this.

I'm really enjoying it. Low standards. Can't watch in real time, most nights. I think it helps that I saw Celebrity BB USA, so had a sense of this format. So glad Allan's out, but am not warming to the doughy underdog edit of Kierran. I like the new people, but may never recover from the sight of Chad's balls... My eyes! Still, he has a dog called Buddy? Seems okay. I love that little army blonde, Sarah.

Even though there's not much casual conversation, there is some excellent side-eyes and resentful glares in the edit that tell the story well enough for now. I like Ian and anyone who's nice to Ian, so the other new woman is definitely all right. Angela's growing on me.

The only time I recall hearing a word out of some of the originals, like bald Mat and doll-Xavier, is in the extended vote you've got to wade over to 7plus to see, if you're lucky and it's actually working. But it's overall not as excruciating as an Alex Mavroidakis extended kindy-challenge season, and for that I'm grateful.

So the housemates are just going to eliminate anyone who decides to actually play the game that they're all in...

Neat. Should make for an extremely boring and forgettable season.

Which I why I think a veto or some sort of replacement is ideal if this format continues... Ideally a second challenge where one of the three nominees are saved.

Which I why I think a veto or some sort of replacement is ideal if this format continues... Ideally a second challenge where one of the three nominees are saved.
I agree. I can barely remember the US seasons I watched years ago. But I think a veto comp would balance it out a bit. Currently winning the challenge is a huge power imbalance.
How does veto work? The three nominees compete in a challenge and one wins themselves out of nomination?

I'm really enjoying it. Low standards. Can't watch in real time, most nights. I think it helps that I saw Celebrity BB USA, so had a sense of this format. So glad Allan's out, but am not warming to the doughy underdog edit of Kierran. I like the new people, but may never recover from the sight of Chad's balls... My eyes! Still, he has a dog called Buddy? Seems okay. I love that little army blonde, Sarah.
🤭 I missed that, might have to trawl through my recording, but think I've already deleted it, and am not going to try and find it on catch-up!

Oh and also, even pre-recorded, tonight proved Sonia still can’t present naturally. She could barely change the tone of her voice so that it wasn’t plainly obvious she was being told what to ask the HMs, word-for-word. 🙄

Agreed 100%... She's improved over the Nine era but not by much. I can't stand her fake enthusiasm... No matter how hard she tries it always come across disingenuously.

🤭 I missed that, might have to trawl through my recording, but think I've already deleted it, and am not going to try and find it on catch-up!

Modelling pics. Available for perusal in news and goss section of this site. o_O You are warned!

I agree. I can barely remember the US seasons I watched years ago. But I think a veto comp would balance it out a bit. Currently winning the challenge is a huge power imbalance.
How does veto work? The three nominees compete in a challenge and one wins themselves out of nomination?

In the American format there is a Head of Household (HoH) who nominates two people. The Power of Veto (POV) is played by the HoH, the two nominees, and three other players chosen at random. The winner can remove one of the two nominees (including themselves) and the HoH makes a replacement nominee.

I'm not a huge fan of the veto as far too often it's used to target people who haven't had an equal chance to save themselves and I feel like it can turn the game extremely dirty extremely fast. The "backdoor" as it's called was ground breaking when it was first introduced but has been used as a tool for underhand gameplay far too often to really be that enjoyable to watch.

My idea in this format would be to simply have the three nominees compete for safety. One HM will drop off the block, leaving it a head to head vote to evict.

Just for fun here's my format for introducing a public vote in this format;

Head of House - Nominates two HM's for eviction. Also has the power void another HM's vote to evict.
Golden Key - Voted for by the public to nominate a third nominee. The holder is also immune from nomination.
Battle of the Block - Three nominees compete for safety from eviction.
Eviction vote - The remainder of the HM's vote to evict. The public will also cast a single vote to evict by majority rules. In the event of a deadlock the public vote decides.
The winner is decided by a jury and the public vote.

I've shared this many times before but posting in the interest of those who are just joining us.

Second episode was much more enjoyable... I'm on the fence about the Kieran edit theories. This last episode he seemed to have a pretty decent story of his own that carried through the episode.

Highlights were the new HM's entering and the challenge once again.

It's been great to see some strategy starting to come in to play.

Disappointing that in a house of 15 people this episode I feel like we've only had a chance to get to know a handful of them. Both Mat and Xavier are non-existent in the story-line so far.

Disappointing that in a house of 15 people this episode I feel like we've only had a chance to get to know a handful of them. Both Mat and Xavier are non-existent in the story-line so far.

I feel like this happens in pretty much every reality show ever.

Both Mat and Xavier are non-existent in the story-line so far.
I've gotta admit I thought we would have seen more of Matt considering how heavily he has featured in the promos. I think we will see alot more of him as time goes on. Don't have the same faith in seeing Xavier unfortunately, particularly in such a cutthroat competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back