Skip to main content

BB21 Ratings Thread

Sure, but are the execs trying to polish a turd, or spiting a work of art? Because imo it’s still the former, as the product was fundamentally flawed from the start (although admittedly because of direction from 7).
So you agree? Your initial statement was bs?

So you agree? Your initial statement was bs?
No, because I believe Endemol still failed to deliver anything worthwhile in the first place for the the execs to hack.

Nice try though.

Edit: I’ll expand, since I’m pretty sure you still won’t get it. Is Seven’s vision shit? Yes. Does it hamper the the production? Sure.
But it’s still, literally, Endemol Shine’s job to produce a good show that’ll satisfy both Seven’s vision and the general audience.

Last edited:
Edit: I’ll expand, since I’m pretty sure you still won’t get it. Is Seven’s vision shit? Yes. Does it hamper the the production? Sure.
But it’s still, literally, Endemol Shine’s job to produce a good show that’ll satisfy both Seven’s vision and the general audience.
Clearly you just don’t “get it”. Endemol can’t only do so much with one hand tied behind their back while having the entire show dictated to them by the network. We’re also only seeing what the network has approved of us to see so we have no idea what was left on the cutting room floor. Endemol are producing the product they were contracted to produce.

Episode 6 - 4th May 2021

Five City Metro - Total People
- Big Brother Tues 515k

25-54 demos
(Lego Masters #1)

18-49 demos
(Lego Masters #1)

16-39 demos
(Lego Masters #1, MasterChef #3)

He's right though. The way we view television has fundamentally changed over the years. Relying on an archaic ratings systems from years ago is stupid.
Oh I agree. But the only reason he is clamouring to “push for a shakeup” is because he went and spent so much money on buying virtually every big name TV show on the planet and all of them are flopping. They have no idea how to produce any of them properly.

There’s a reason the other networks, namely Nine, aren’t jumping to join his pity campaign.

Hahahah

So why did they pull ultimate tag so quickly after bad overnight ratings? He’s a load of bullshit
Perhaps because it was also doing poorly on catch up / 7plus.

I think he kinda has a point, viewing has changed. Look at the numbers, they definitely reflect that.
I have an Apple TV and don’t even have the antenna plugged into the TV. The only things I stream live are BB and Survivor and that’s through the channels apps on AppleTV otherwise I watch things on catch up. I often hear people saying they will watch stuff on catch up, I don’t think I’m an outlier.

Oh I agree. But the only reason he is clamouring to “push for a shakeup” is because he went and spent so much money on buying virtually every big name TV show on the planet and all of them are flopping. They have no idea how to produce any of them properly.

There’s a reason the other networks, namely Nine, aren’t jumping to join his pity campaign.
Because oldies TVs are still rusted on to channel 9 😂

Perhaps because it was also doing poorly on catch up / 7plus.

I think he kinda has a point, viewing has changed. Look at the numbers, they definitely reflect that.
I have an Apple TV and don’t even have the antenna plugged into the TV. The only things I stream live are BB and Survivor and that’s through the channels apps on AppleTV otherwise I watch things on catch up. I often hear people saying they will watch stuff on catch up, I don’t think I’m an outlier.
I'm kinda similar, the only things I watch live are the stuff I chat on here with you guys about at the same time haha!

I don't like the catch up apps because they still show ads, so I usually record on my Foxtel and watch when I feel like it and can fast forward through the ads.

Side Note: (maybe a question for @sav0001 or @Brekkie), but I thought the ratings were updated 24/48 hours later with the catch up/on demand figures?

Of-course he is...
With live TV almost completely disappearing in Australia I don’t know why the entire conversation isn’t about scrapping traditional broadcast TV altogether. We have the technology to have a mix of on demand viewing and streaming of live events when necessary. The fact is people simply don’t want to be tied down a traditional schedule anymore.

With live TV almost completely disappearing in Australia I don’t know why the entire conversation isn’t about scrapping traditional broadcast TV altogether. We have the technology to have a mix of on demand viewing and streaming of live events when necessary. The fact is people simply don’t want to be tied down a traditional schedule anymore.
The news still gets over a million. I think we have to wait until more of the baby boomer generation are gone before we have that conversation.

In this article:

David Knox commented:
Seven today tells me Big Brother episode 2 jumped to 1.16m (that’s metro + regional + BVOD)…. question becomes is the public interested in that kind of data a week later or have they moved on? I’ve been posting Timeshifted figures since 2013.

While I’d say the overnight viewing has some relevance, it certainly doesn’t tell the whole story.

TBH if I was still in Australia I would still watch terrestrial TV. I absolutely loved my PVR. Total control to timeshift live shows and completely skip ads. Miss somethng someone just said? Just skip back 10 seconds, so easy. The catchup web services the FTA networks offer are incredibly clunky and not a patch on that.

The news still gets over a million. I think we have to wait until more of the baby boomer generation are gone before we have that conversation.
We have the ability to have live event television (ie. news, sports, and other major events) along side on demand content. It doesn’t have to be one or the other. There are also services like cable news that can still benefit from streaming a continuous feed of programming so obviously not everything is going to change.
TBH if I was still in Australia I would still watch terrestrial TV. I absolutely loved my PVR. Total control to timeshift live shows and completely skip ads. Miss somethng someone just said? Just skip back 10 seconds, so easy. The catchup web services the FTA networks offer are incredibly clunky and not a patch on that.
I think the problem is networks just aren’t investing enough to get their streaming up to speed or simply don’t care enough to. In terms of ads I think more paid options would solve that. I believe most paid streaming services offer tiered packages that either limit or eliminate ads altogether.

With Masterchef even now beating BB and Lego Masters enjoying moderate success, what can we learn from this season's ratings? The only reason last year rated decently was because it was called "Big Brother". People tuned in for the name not the show, if it hand't been called Big Brother it would have tanked. The issue is not that there is no hope for Big Brother to return to Australian screens, it's how the network goes about it that has actually impacted it's success. This version from 7 is so far away from what Big Brother is it is no surprise why people aren't watching this year. 1,000,000 watching the launch last year at least elucidates the interest factor that still exists for the BB format, however the network themselves have destroyed the show with little care gone into the production and simply piggy backing off Survivor's success. I understand the need to change the show in some what to keep it modern and to avoid the mistakes of 9 and the later seasons of 10, but to taint the show itself is asinine. Live feeds, live updates, weekly evictions, live shows, audience interaction are all what make Big Brother what it is. Sure, use the US format to have housemates evict each other thats fine, but when you erase the voyeristic social experiment factor that is when you destroy your chances at success. People spent 20 years having an image of what Big Brother is, it's too far in to completely change it and ask people to be okay with it. Implement change sure, spice up the format and make it strategic sure, but to completely isolate the housemate's personality's from us and to deprive us of at least getting to know them so that we can choose our favourite to root for is what really makes it difficult to defend the show and stay loyal and watch. These ratings are a reflection on why we shouldn't attempt to fix what isn't broken, and that in most cases it's not the show's premise that causes ratings to decline but more so merely the interference of production.

We have the ability to have live event television (ie. news, sports, and other major events) along side on demand content. It doesn’t have to be one or the other. There are also services like cable news that can still benefit from streaming a continuous feed of programming so obviously not everything is going to change.

I think the problem is networks just aren’t investing enough to get their streaming up to speed or simply don’t care enough to. In terms of ads I think more paid options would solve that. I believe most paid streaming services offer tiered packages that either limit or eliminate ads altogether.
Well we already have the on demand / streaming / free to air mix.
9 have Stan which is the paid option, 10 have 10 all access. I don’t think 7 have a paid option yet

Well we already have the on demand / streaming / free to air mix.
9 have Stan which is the paid option, 10 have 10 all access. I don’t think 7 have a paid option yet
I don’t think Stan is really their on demand network option as you can’t watch catch up tv on it. They have 9Now which is free.

on another note, 10 All Access is trash. And their 10play app needs to be available on more devices..

With Masterchef even now beating BB and Lego Masters enjoying moderate success, what can we learn from this season's ratings? The only reason last year rated decently was because it was called "Big Brother". People tuned in for the name not the show, if it hand't been called Big Brother it would have tanked. The issue is not that there is no hope for Big Brother to return to Australian screens, it's how the network goes about it that has actually impacted it's success. This version from 7 is so far away from what Big Brother is it is no surprise why people aren't watching this year. 1,000,000 watching the launch last year at least elucidates the interest factor that still exists for the BB format, however the network themselves have destroyed the show with little care gone into the production and simply piggy backing off Survivor's success. I understand the need to change the show in some what to keep it modern and to avoid the mistakes of 9 and the later seasons of 10, but to taint the show itself is asinine. Live feeds, live updates, weekly evictions, live shows, audience interaction are all what make Big Brother what it is. Sure, use the US format to have housemates evict each other thats fine, but when you erase the voyeristic social experiment factor that is when you destroy your chances at success. People spent 20 years having an image of what Big Brother is, it's too far in to completely change it and ask people to be okay with it. Implement change sure, spice up the format and make it strategic sure, but to completely isolate the housemate's personality's from us and to deprive us of at least getting to know them so that we can choose our favourite to root for is what really makes it difficult to defend the show and stay loyal and watch. These ratings are a reflection on why we shouldn't attempt to fix what isn't broken, and that in most cases it's not the show's premise that causes ratings to decline but more so merely the interference of production.
Thank you for articulating this so eloquently. You are spot on the money. These have been my thoughts too.

The fact Seven have entirely eliminated past seasons and refer to the current series as “seasons 1 and 2” says it all.

Despite the producers and Sonia harping on and on about the “old version” not working for today’s audiences, the original can and would absolutely stand up on its own if done properly. Especially in 2021 where the possibilities to execute it even better than before are endless. For a list of reasons, the networks are just too afraid to invest in it and do so.

Now more than ever, however, I do believe Ten will bring it “home” and revive the original one day. Even if it’s a decade from now.

Back