Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Better competition

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • The competitive format

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Pre-recorded months ago

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters
I remember when <1m meant the axe. Heck, I remember when less than 300k got a show booted to a 7 multichannel - that was only earlier this year.

Only two episodes left so might as well ride it out. The next series will be judged on it's own ratings rather than those of BBVIP, but I don't think it's very promising. Maybe Seven will find a slot for Australian Idol in the schedule after all.

I remember when <1m meant the axe. Heck, I remember when less than 300k got a show booted to a 7 multichannel - that was only earlier this year.

Only two episodes left so might as well ride it out. The next series will be judged on it's own ratings rather than those of BBVIP, but I don't think it's very promising. Maybe Seven will find a slot for Australian Idol in the schedule after all.

It seems the only reality shows rating well to average this year are MAFS, The Block, The Voice, I'm A Celeb, Lego Masters and Celebrity Masterchef. If we include streaming then Love Island is doing well in that department being the 3rd most streamed show behind MAFS and Handmaids Tale this year.

But all the networks schedules being filled with reality TV has meant that scripted shows don't have a chance to rate well as they are on so late.

Yes - Ten put their first "original" drama of the year on air at 9.40 in November then wonder why nobody watches.

It seems the only reality shows rating well to average this year are MAFS, The Block, The Voice, I'm A Celeb, Lego Masters and Celebrity Masterchef. If we include streaming then Love Island is doing well in that department being the 3rd most streamed show behind MAFS and Handmaids Tale this year.

But all the networks schedules being filled with reality TV has meant that scripted shows don't have a chance to rate well as they are on so late.
To be fair if you're considering Celeb Masterchef well to average, then Big Brother 2021 would need to be included. It averaged over 650,000.

I'd say 600-800k is probably the aim now. Anything over 800k is pretty much a megahit, whilst around 450-600k is a mediocre success - not spectacular, but probably enough to get renewed. Mediocrity seems to be the level producers are aiming for now.

I'd say 600-800k is probably the aim now. Anything over 800k is pretty much a megahit, whilst around 450-600k is a mediocre success - not spectacular, but probably enough to get renewed. Mediocrity seems to be the level producers are aiming for now.
Just like The Chaser's slogan "Striving for Mediocrity in a World of Excellence"

lol its funny how 700,000-800,000 is kind of like the new magic million

Australian Survivor did reasonably well for Ten.

Yes - Ten put their first "original" drama of the year on air at 9.40 in November then wonder why nobody watches.
I remember the first time I shifted to Australia and laughing at the way the way one of the channels (can't remember which one) was trying to say they had put the amazing race on at prime time viewing - and that was 11pm. I didn't buy it then and I wouldn't buy it now as anything after 9:30pm being a prime time for watching anything.

Think even BB2021 was somewhere halfway between the both - and probably closer to BB2020 than VIP.

Think even BB2021 was somewhere halfway between the both - and probably closer to BB2020 than VIP.
Yeah I just randomly stumbled upon that spreadsheet and thought I'd chuck VIP's numbers into it for a laugh.

What did Seven screen this time last year and in 2019 and how did it rate?]

I reckon if the second Dancing with the All Stars season does OK early in the year they might commission a new run for later in the year - though sadly likely still pre-recorded. Think the Big Brother Finale has been about the only entertainment show live on the station this year.

Drama viewing habits have changed tbf. Netflix got us used to binge-ing an entire season in one sitting. If Australian drama was being commissioned for SVOD it would perform much better IMO.

What did Seven screen this time last year and in 2019 and how did it rate?]

I reckon if the second Dancing with the All Stars season does OK early in the year they might commission a new run for later in the year - though sadly likely still pre-recorded. Think the Big Brother Finale has been about the only entertainment show live on the station this year.
Last year 7 screened SAS Australia which did very well rating around the 600-700k and doing well in the demos (top 3 every for most episodes in all demos).

In 2019 they showed Bride and Prejudice: The Forbidden Weddings. That show started off rating in the 400s but had built to 600k by the end. It did much better in the demos too. It was then replaced by Zumbo's Just Desserts which was a complete flop with its finale getting below 300k.

Just to highlight further how poorly this season is doing, last night's episode just made the top 10 most streamed shows over the last 24 hours:

The top 10 live streaming shows in the last 24 hours:
  1. Love Island Australia Season 3 Episode 25
  2. Bluey Bedroom
  3. Adele One Night Only
  4. Doctor Who Series 13 Chapter Four: Village of the Angels
  5. Total Control Series 2 Ep 3
  6. Bluey Fairies
  7. Lego Masters Bricksmas Specials 2021
  8. Home And Away Year 2021 Episode 231
  9. Big Brother VIP Season 1 Episode 10
  10. Bluey Barky Boats

Finale did even worse than I thought it would getting only 311k. 7 did not even bother with seperating the winners announcement segment in the ratings.

Back