Skip to main content

BB/CBB UK - Rewatch discussions

Sadly true, though to prove the point I should probably completely and utterly ignore your view and disagree with you based on something some random stranger said on Facebook.

Yeah that is an interesting point about how Social Media and internet has both advanced and degenerated discission and opinion pieces..
It even comes up again later where I can kinda see Nick's point of 'well you all jumped the gun and I never actually made that statement/went to that conclusion' and that he could've still made that comment had it been a like say for instance that Hugh Grant one getting busted for oral sex with a prostitute in a car in 1995 'What if she was an underage sex slave' or something to that effect.

But still, that stereotype conclusion was an often made one to jump to back in the day when talking about gay men and their activities, You just had to look at some of those bad PSA's from the 50's about little timmy and Stranger danger, "watch out kids, that creep isnt just a pedophile - hes a *GASP* Homosexual...".

Anyways I've just finished Week 5, and a LOT happened this week. and It's kinda another facet of how the game was viewed in those early days and how its evolved over time. More thoughts next post.

Big Post on Week 5 BBUK2000:

Ok so the whole Nick Ejection went down this week. I could see the title of the Eviction Episode 'Contestant Removed' so I knew it was this as one of the things I vaguely remember reading about this season, but I thought it might've happened a little later like Final 5 or 4.

Also that I hadn't seen Nick be particularly 'Nasty' yet - I think I was under the impression he would perhaps start to become super strategic and borderline bullying other housemates or something requiring being forcibly removed, that or the way it was going, that he couldn't stop verbally talking and discussing nominations after the warnings, and when the talking in code came up I thought that would've been the final straw, but it ended up being 'writing names down on paper and showing them to others' that did him in, and being found out.

Now yeah that of itself is in clear breach of the rules of the show at the time, it wasnt Survivor lite and I think even working within the rules of
Big Brother as they stood I've mentioned this in discussions about the earlier Australian series as well - it seemed that it was typically frowned upon to be actively 'playing the game' on this show.

Survivor had just come out, but yeah at the time Big Brother had a bit of a profile to it seen as something you went on more for the experience or the social experiment side of things and if you happened to win by 'being yourself' or going on a personal 'journey' during your time there, you deserved the win.

Nick mentioned in his hideaway post ejection interview with Davina that he had seen the 1999 Dutch version of BB and that had been part of his impetus to apply - but then he played it with a definite strategy, which resulted in the snowball lies and two-facery going on which really put him offside with the public as well as the other housemates when he was busted.

I think Ultimately the furore was partly of the freshness of the format at the time (they knew nominations was part and parcel of being on the show but still many of them despised and dreaded doing it) but someone playing people off each other (albeit cheating to do so) still causes drama nowadays, but by the same token its a more accepted part of the game in certain format styles of BB so people are more understanding of that side or angle of playing the game aspect than when it first came out, and Nick being the first to do so, and in a devious way to try and win the show rather than being there for the experience seemed a much bigger deal than if they played the same season today with the same rules of the time and he did that IYKWIM.

I think even Nichola said as much in her eviction interview (72% margin btw over Craig!), like he just played a bad move in the context of the game, and tried to play it off with excuses but he hasnt like committed an actual crime or anything so, the scandal might simmer down. I also thought for a moment why the notes werent discovered during the mobile phone sweep if Nichola was saying that the note thing had been goig on for about 3 weeks apparently. Who knows. anyways... That was that.

I think also when Thomas was twigging on Nick not being very good at the task (which they didnt end up showing the result of till the Week 5 recap episode after the eviction mind you) I thought maybe his prior experience mightve been a bit exaggerated too, that or he might be trying not to excel too much so BB cant just then turn around and set the time limit for he Assault course really hard.

The Vet that came in to look at the Chickens (diahhorea issues) I thought might've been Aussie with that accent.

Mel and Thomas getting some serious UST now with those massages, but like the pschologist package says He might be able to see whats happening. Also apparently there was something brewing for Nichola with Darren, although there was a bit of an Anti climax that she was gonna declare before she was evicted that wasn't much.

Davina mentioned an Intruder/Replacement for Week 6. This should be interesting.

I think the "Nasty" title was more a product of tabloid culture at the time and the alliteration "Nasty Nick" worked as a catchy headline. Like you mentioned it was really just a cheating scandal. Nick also quickly realised that he could spin this Nasty Nick villain into a profitable media career.

Nasty Nicked! C4 evicts cheat from Big Brother
Andrew Mullins
Friday 18 August 2000

"Nasty Nick" Bateman, the Big Brother pantomime villain, will today publicly face the music after being caught cheating and kicked off the Channel 4's programme.

He exited stage left last night after contestants finally caught up with the rest of the nation and discovered just how scheming their housemate really was.

The 32-year-old former stockbroker, dubbed the most-hated man on TV, will be quizzed in a live interview in tonight's eviction show about why he tried to manipulate the voting process.

Nick went to ground after being disqualified when he was discovered to have written notes to fellow contestants hoping to influence their eviction nominations five weeks into the knock-out contest.

He is to be replaced and flatmates Craig or Nichola will be evicted from tonight's show and lose the chance of winning the £70,000 prize.

The first Big Brother evictee Sada Walkington said: "Perhaps there were other motivations but he was very very conniving. I think it will make coming out of the house very sad for Nick."

Rumours of a punch-up between Craig and the viewers' least favourite contestant were denied by the programme's makers yesterday, but a spokeswoman did concede they had stopped broadcasting for two hours after a producer "panicked" when the confrontation looked as if it would descend into a brawl.

Craig, together with Nichola, will find out on Friday if they will become the fourth person to leave the programme, so he was particularly angry to discover Nick's tactics. The Liverpudlian told him: "I just thought you were genuine. I was misled and you made me look a fool."

Craig wasn't alone. At a hastily arranged meeting yesterday morning, Darren told the embarrassed Nick: "No one is going to trust you - you might as well take your stuff and go." Melanie agreed. "I think you should walk," she said. Other contestants labelled Nick as "sick", as he whimpered: "I've done something wrong."

The full extent of Nick's treachery finally dawned on the other six contestants after Irishman Thomas let slip to Craig that Nick had voted against him.

A search of Nick's suitcase quickly followed while he sat unaware in another room. They found his papers outlining his voting intentions and Nick's fate as the most unpopular man in the house was sealed.

He was smuggled out of the house yesterday afternoon. A waiting car took him to a Channel 4 safe house where, like other rejected contestants, he was offered counselling.

They’re quite a musical bunch as well this season, from ‘ets onlee ah Game shuw’ to doing noms to several other musical moments

Started Week 6;

Looks like theyve organised the Replacement housemate quickly, but they also told the Housemates she is coming.
Wtf how did the Fox get in to run across the backyard?

Currently LOL at Thomas right now, talking to Melanie about catching feelings for somebody but not being sure how to go about making a move - um HELLO? She's one of 2 girls left, and one of them is a Lesbian, soooo unless theres something we don't yet know about Thomas, gee, whoever else could he be talking about? TO the person we all think is the Elephant in the room and the object of said affection! LOL.

Melanie also says 'Well I didnt kiss Andy, Andy Kissed Me' is what I think she said. Well aint that an interesting little turn of events. Haha.

I think in the early years they simply had a one in, one out, replacement rule - so had people on standby (though not in lockdown) to appear relatively quickly if needs be, usually moving in the first weekend after someone had left.

By the way some of these 'Discussion topic nights' and even just general conversations are fascinating to look back on too, like the one about their views on the relevance of the Royal Family, and the one about George Michael's then recent public bathroom scandal, where they are quite quick to educate Nick not to equate homosexuality and paedophilia after his offhand 'what if he were to proposition a child' comment.

GM even wrote into the show in praise of the way the Housemates handled that topic! Remember when Big Brother had a side to it with a look into societal attitudes and world topics of the time.
Looking back at the winter CBB series from 2018 they did have quite a few discussions around gender, equality, and homosexuality vs gender identity. The HM’s didn’t always agree but IMO it was handled quite respectfully.

Ann Widdecombe who was by far the most conservative of the HM’s ended up coming 2nd. That said I think had she been a lot younger her views wouldn’t have been viewed as acceptable.

I remember seeing some stuff about the CBB that Courtney Act was on having some big topical discussions was that the 2018 one? Looks like CBB UK 1 was between Series 1 and 2, and only 9 eps, might be easy to slot in and check out as i go in chronological order with the main UK Series.

Day 40: Claire has settled in, leading them in a marching sing along, opening up about breast augmentation story and joining Craig in hiding the lighter. The Task this week it a watch and memorise with HM's heads over the wall - 100 though in order, no mistakes! thats a big ask.

With the numbers getting smaller too, we have a tie in second nominations position, so it's 4 up, only Mel is safe for Week 7, and Claire who cant be nominated. I also wonder if they are sticking with the 2 minimum nominees format, whether the points system gets upgraded to switch up this scenerio from happening as we hit the final weeks in later series. Like where did we get the 2pts 1pt system from, and we also went with 3 minimum noms slots.

After the break, theres something going on under the doona that looks like Doona Dancing lol.

Finished Week 6.

It was close between Darren and Thomas in the Eviction % (1%!) the other 2 werent that far off either. Again we get a kiss only when the guy is about to leave. And then they brought out Andrew on the eviction saying he's still in love with Mel! haha. Kinda bummed to see Thomas go, but its really getting down the business end now. Craig and Claire seem to have a bit of a thing going.

The Chickens (including Marjorie) are back with that Vet, which Darren is happy about, He's really become the Chicken whisperer now.

Craig almost flubbed that task, but they ended up passing successfully using the tactic of memorising a slab of the order of HM face appearances at a time.

They got a surprise delivery of a Jacuzzi this week too! Made me remember they dont have a pool this season. Onto Week 7.

Had a couple days break before resuming with Week 7. Theres a random moment new scene on Day 43 in the Week 6 recap episode (which on this playlist episode title has been swapped with the following episode starting Week 7).

At around 42:35 the Boys are waking up, then it cuts to this shot of Mel and Thomas cooking sausages in the Kitchen and discussing it while Darren peeks his head out of the bathroom or side room, proceeds to sliently walk out nude with just a cloth covering his front and into the bedroom where he stand there with some hair clipper touching up his sides with a handmirror. Then its the next scene Haha. Bizarre out of context moment lol.

Last edited:
Week 7 down into the final 2 weeks now.

The big thing this week was Darren having a Ben Norris nominating with the booth door ajar moment (or Tim Dormer's Did Ya Get That Tully?!! lol), being overheard in the Diary room nominating Mel and then the Redo having only Claire and Craig be put up instead of Anna being the only one not nominated and having Darren and Mel in the mix.

I Still think Claire might have gone, but based on the public responses in the crowd on the Eviction, They are next in the firing line if they get put up (possibly not helped by all that momentary drama this week), Craig is building a lot of support and people seems generally fond of Anna when she's shown.

Lots more dicussions about Claires boob-job. I could see the task fail oming, but apparently it was mainly for not all of them completely covering their sculptures with photocopies, and not for not FREESTANDING upright on 2 feet they were all on their butt or quadruped IIRC.

Craig and Claire mucking about. But oh, hello She had a boyfriend of NINE YEARS who suddenly pops up on the eviction show!

giphy.gif

...so all that with Craig looks like it was purely platonic, and wasn't heading like Mel and Thomas were going, or maybe she mentioned it before I dunno. I had to giggle too when Claire remarked that 'you've edited that very well'

6mnNMaj.gif

Also Davina in the diary room was a funny little skit for the Eviction show. Little baby Josh, Claires 'Little Brother'. He would be about 22 now. And they had the eviction announcement take place while they were all in the spa. It was interesting also this was the first interview on how an 'Intruder' experiences the game. 79% of the vote, highest Eviction % so far this season.

They have been doing a fair bit of reminicse this week too now it was down to Final 5. Onto Week 8!

Last edited:
Used to love how Davina went into the house on eviction night, whether camera runs, the diary room or the bedrooms.

I'm watching Season 16 - think this is 2015? And this is probably the most bland cast I've watched so far (I've been watching backwards from the last season). So white and also everyone seems like they're extremely close in age.

I'm two weeks in and I do really like the twist of the non-nominated HMs being up for eviction this early in the game, I feel like BBUK gets rid of their more vocal players way too early due to the terrible "vote to evict" format (although something tells me vote to evict gets them more $$$ as they seem to have a bigger "hate" and "boo" culture with their viewers/audience lol)

It wasn't a twist, it was a fix.

I hadn't even discovered that "four" were leaving until the eviction show that I just watched after my post! Damn. The show must have been really boring for them to evict 4, but great choice.

I like the idea though of watching it backwards as generally speaking it'll only get better.

Back