Skip to main content

BB/CBB UK - Rewatch discussions

Kingston

Canadian Royalty
Just thought I'd start a thread for anyone wanting to rewatch older series of BB or CBB UK...

This thread may contain spoilers...

@Trala and I are currently watching UBB if anyone feels like joining...

Reactions: Tee
I've said this before but I really relate to Chantel in the UBB house... I'd probably end up crying just as much if I was stuck in a house with my "ex"...

Im only 2 eps in and I LOVE it! Not sure of anyone’s name yet outside Chantelle and her husband, but they seem to be a great group to watch. Oh my days how revolting is that overweight old man who picks his nose and ears it?! He was in a recent celebrity version.

One thing I am having trouble with, I am struggling to find a YouTube link. The one I am watching has lagging audio.

Im only 2 eps in and I LOVE it! Not sure of anyone’s name yet outside Chantelle and her husband, but they seem to be a great group to watch. Oh my days how revolting is that overweight old man who picks his nose and ears it?! He was in a recent celebrity version.

One thing I am having trouble with, I am struggling to find a YouTube link. The one I am watching has lagging audio.

John is vile... I don't really know why they put him in there outside of the tree of temptation task... I mean it's not like they were short on pot stirrers for this series...

As for links I think the best channel is TheBBCouchPotatoes which is the link I posted above... I'm actually shocked that pretty much every other series has been posted in full episodes and in high quality and UBB is stuck in 2010...

Also wanted to say what a horrible idea it was putting the winner of BB11 right back in after winning... Interesting idea on paper but extremely poor once executed...

I loved Makosi the first time around but her fake meltdowns have completely turned me off her...

Hey King, been so busy lately my watching has been spasmodic to say the least...

Still loving it though. A funny for you, I uploaded an episode and I am thinking “oh my God I swear I don’t remember any of these housemates... my drug fucked brain is REALLY getting worse... Charlotte from Geordie is in it!” Then the penny dropped, my watching the wrong ep!

Hey I remember there was some angst with a poster who adored Nikki Graham, refresh my memory on the back story. My least favourite for today is Nadia. Could change tomorrow.[DOUBLEPOST=1528927265][/DOUBLEPOST]
John is vile... I don't really know why they put him in there outside of the tree of temptation task... I mean it's not like they were short on pot stirrers for this series...

As for links I think the best channel is TheBBCouchPotatoes which is the link I posted above... I'm actually shocked that pretty much every other series has been posted in full episodes and in high quality and UBB is stuck in 2010...
Do you know, as vile as he is, I REALLY enjoyed watching him.

Hey King, been so busy lately my watching has been spasmodic to say the least...

Still loving it though. A funny for you, I uploaded an episode and I am thinking “oh my God I swear I don’t remember any of these housemates... my drug fucked brain is REALLY getting worse... Charlotte from Geordie is in it!” Then the penny dropped, my watching the wrong ep!

Hey I remember there was some angst with a poster who adored Nikki Graham, refresh my memory on the back story. My least favourite for today is Nadia. Could change tomorrow.[DOUBLEPOST=1528927265][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do you know, as vile as he is, I REALLY enjoyed watching him.

It’s all good I need to get back on the train as well... I have four jobs at the moment and the last few weeks have left me completely wiped to the point where I keep forgetting to watch...

The Nikki drama was with @bluegroper... He’s been obsessed with her since she was on BB7 and would literally find every opportunity to post about her... To the point where he’d build shrines (entire threads) in her honour... It all got a little too much (after 4+ years of repetitive posts) and borderline creepy as he has kids her age... He once flew from Sydney to London for her birthday party...

He went in to a self imposed exile after he got sick of me calling him out on it and he flipped his shit when the mods put a censor on the word Nikki... This was probably around the same time you joined and it was literally Kingston against everyone else...

He started posting again when she was on BBCAN so to ensure things didn’t get out of control again instigated a little spat and wound up with a week or two vacation... I think he went back in exile when he realized people were more interested in Tim...

As for UBB I actually feel sorry for Nadia... Her confidence is just a facade as underneath she’s exremely insecure... You can tell by the way she lashes out and has a meltdown anytime she gets in to a tough situation... It’s her crutch... I can’t imagine she’s had an easy go at life either... I can’t imagine what it would have been like to transition in the early 2000’s... Just being gay at that time was still reletively taboo... Trans people in the media at that time were still very much a joke... That show that tried to trick straight men in to dating a trans woman named Miriam aired at the same time that Nadia’s series did...

I’m not really a big fan of Coolio and his ultra macho ego... He literally picked out Nadia because she was clearly the weakest out of the group...

It’s all good I need to get back on the train as well... I have four jobs at the moment and the last few weeks have left me completely wiped to the point where I keep forgetting to watch...

The Nikki drama was with @bluegroper... He’s been obsessed with her since she was on BB7 and would literally find every opportunity to post about her... To the point where he’d build shrines (entire threads) in her honour... It all got a little too much (after 4+ years of repetitive posts) and borderline creepy as he has kids her age... He once flew from Sydney to London for her birthday party...

He went in to a self imposed exile after he got sick of me calling him out on it and he flipped his shit when the mods put a censor on the word Nikki... This was probably around the same time you joined and it was literally Kingston against everyone else...

He started posting again when she was on BBCAN so to ensure things didn’t get out of control again instigated a little spat and wound up with a week or two vacation... I think he went back in exile when he realized people were more interested in Tim...

As for UBB I actually feel sorry for Nadia... Her confidence is just a facade as underneath she’s exremely insecure... You can tell by the way she lashes out and has a meltdown anytime she gets in to a tough situation... It’s her crutch... I can’t imagine she’s had an easy go at life either... I can’t imagine what it would have been like to transition in the early 2000’s... Just being gay at that time was still reletively taboo... Trans people in the media at that time were still very much a joke... That show that tried to trick straight men in to dating a trans woman named Miriam aired at the same time that Nadia’s series did...

I’m not really a big fan of Coolio and his ultra macho ego... He literally picked out Nadia because she was clearly the weakest out of the group...

Groper story is too funny! I remember when I first joined, some of my favourite initial forum interactions was my battles with you!

I remember the Miriam series! I always found it was such exploitation on the producers part. It’s Nadia’s voice that annoys me! What happened with her and Coolio? In the ep I watched they announced he agreed to leave and would show more later but never did (unless I got my part eps mixed). I too couldn’t stand is superior attitude in the house.

Today’s ep saw one of the housemates tasks was to get nominated by every housemate by being a cunt, meanwhile the real task was to overlook her cuntish behaviour and forgive. It was lol funny. Nikki having a midnight meltdown over snorers also tickled me. Her face is super expressive.

I can’t keep track on the names, my faves for today are the divorced couple and my least fav for today, don’t have one. They are a great bunch.

So the YouTube algorithm served up BB: Celebrity Hijack as a suggestion so I’ve been watching it over the last few days.

It’s completely understandable why the series rated so poorly. It’s a great cast but the concept behind this series is so poorly executed.

The daily hijacks take up far too much scene time that actually getting to know the HM’s is secondary to whatever inane shenanigans the Celebrity Hijacker pulling.

This would have been a far better series had it played out naturally rather than through the lens of some silly gimmick.

Oh, I loved Celebrity Hijack and without the gimmick the series wouldn't have existed so of course it was centre stage.

And of course BBUSA effectively tried to replicated it about a decade later with their "BB Takeover" twist but it was poorly executed and dropped within 3 weeks under the guise that it was getting in the way of the game.

Oh, I loved Celebrity Hijack and without the gimmick the series wouldn't have existed so of course it was centre stage.

And of course BBUSA effectively tried to replicated it about a decade later with their "BB Takeover" twist but it was poorly executed and dropped within 3 weeks under the guise that it was getting in the way of the game.
So of course the series wouldn’t have existed without the gimmick… I just think it looked better on paper than it was executed. It doesn’t feel like BB.

I’m on Day 12 and there were only two hijacks that I actually thought were entertaining… Matt Lucas and the SAS task.

Matt Lucas is pretty much the only hijacker I remember, but remember a few of the HMs. It was a very strong cast so I get where you're coming from that it perhaps didn't need the hijackers, but I thought it was a fairly original twist on the concept of Celebrity Big Brother.

Matt Lucas is pretty much the only hijacker I remember, but remember a few of the HMs. It was a very strong cast so I get where you're coming from that it perhaps didn't need the hijackers, but I thought it was a fairly original twist on the concept of Celebrity Big Brother.
Perhaps a rewatch is in order if all you remember is Matt Lucas. I definitely give the series credit for having tried and I agree it was an interesting take on the CBB format but it just didn't work. Some of the hijackers had clearly never watched the show, others were extremely unprofessional (Janet Street-Porter swore at HM's on several occasions, Chris Moyles, John McCririck, and Russell Brand's behaviour with some female HM's bordered on sexual harassment), and most were a complete mess.(Kelly Osborne and "Trash Pussies").

I've only ever watched S6,S7,S15,S16,S18 and S19 of BBUK. Not all in full either. I plan on one day tackling this start to finish (ideally soon actually). Maybe after a break after my BBAU rewatch I'll do the same for BBUK. Although a lot slower.

Like with BB Aus the earlier rewatches are the easiest - half hour daily episodes means you can easily get through a night in a week. I did BB1-3 a couple of years ago. BB5/6 extend the episodes to 50 mnutes (but frequently they were extended to 65 minutes) and then from BB7 it's an hour a night every night and 90 minute eviction shows which for me makes the thought of rewatching a none started. Of course though we do have the bitesize Celebrity Big Brother which is a more manageable 25 hours or so of content for most series, so less than 20 once you strip out the ads.

I think though you'd appreciate the quieter classic era of BB1-4 given your recent rewatch of the early Aussie seasons. Even BB4 which was written off as a flop at the time but I think actually is the second highest rating series of all (but was in the shadow of the really high rating BB3) has quite a bit going for it in hindsight with quite a few twists (behind the spoiler just in case)
Launch night automatic nominations, the Rewards Room, BBUK's first double eviction, the BB Africa swap, the return of a housemate

The housemates were better in hindsight too than they got credit for at the time - but the problem was really it was the first series where they began building the show around one housemate, and that never does Big Brother any favours.

BB5-7 were undoubtedly the golden era. Although I wrote off BB10 and it was the only C4 series I gave up on there is some value in BB8-11, especially BB11 where producers threw everything at what was thought to be the final series and refreshed it in a way which changed things up but didn't really compromise it's core values. Sadly though when C5 took over from BB12 onwards they didn't really build on that. Their first couple of series were OK and somewhat harked back a bit to the C4 days, but from BB14 on it was a mess really, though once again once they'd got axed and network chiefs let the producers make the show they wanted to make the final series did improve significantly - though as I was never a fan of the way C5 put the show together I just couldn't bring myself to watch the episodes.

Indeed in hindsight just realising how many missed opportunities BBUK had to build on series - there were concepts in BB3 (the divide), BB9 (Head of House) and BB11 (just a fresh approach) which really should have been built on moving forward but they just were written off and they started again. Perhaps that is why BB6 is my favourite because it took the "Big Brother Gets Evil" approach from BB5 and built on it and turned it into something original (mainly focused around secret missions). BB7 then built upon it again and is very much a fan favourite.

Last edited:
I think though you'd appreciate the quieter classic era of BB1-4 given your recent rewatch of the early Aussie seasons.
I agree. I have spent years reading about BBUK so I have a lot spoilt for me already, I know every winner which does kinda suck. But that does not worry me, I watched all 40 seasons of Survivor US and knew the winner of about 30+ but still enjoyed them. I know all of the twists and who are the legends of the series as well. But I have never sat down and watched more than one or two series in full. I think 2006 is the only one I have actually watched from start to finish without a break in-between. I definitely aim to attempt this sometime in the future. I may even write my thoughts on the housemates and series like I have with Australia (with spoiler tags). Or maybe that's a bit much? I'll decide after I take a break from binging BB and actually enjoy the outside world.

Back