Skip to main content

BB 2020: A Series of Post-Production Faux Pas

I have my doubts. The only material that is generally kept “in use” is the edited source material from the episodes. It’s very rare for a show just like this to shore up unseen footage, I would be so impressed if they did though but I would say 90% chance we won’t see any new material at the final.

Deleted scenes is also controved and limited to two a week. It is incredibly sad because there is so much material they could share with us and it does not have to have music and all the rhazzmatazz on it. Sadly unused footage most likely gets chucked out.
It’s interesting because we will forever remember this season as bad compared to previous seasons but, I’d say similarly to Nine’s era, I actually wouldn’t say the HMs themselves have been terrible. You can stick any number of people in a house for a few weeks and still get interesting footage. It’s rather the production and any edited content that is or isn’t going to air that largely influences our opinion, which is a damn right shame tbh.

Like the 2013 and 2014 seasons, given enough breathing space and enough footage being shown I have no doubt they’d all be fantastic seasons in their own rights. But I believe the editing is very much the downfall in these circumstances.

Last edited:
What about the love story of Ed and Jade? /s

nah it was all Queen Mikkayla

giphy.gif

I was thinking if during the nomination game, they don’t actually have any voice going, but they make it seem like there is by having bb comment and then the housemates responding. I feel like the comments the hms have been making ‘in response to bb’ in the games have been responses to other hm’s or just general statements but they’ve edited to look like bb was talking live and the hm’s are responding to him. If the voice was added in post production, it seems odd to have a producer talking and making comments especially with all the confusion going on in the games and I feel like the sneaky comments wouldn’t have the same effect if done in a general speaking voice.
I see what you mean but I noticed in the last challenge after Kieran bombed out he was making comments mimicking BB's voice in the same way we hear them on the show. So it makes me think they are actually hearing him during the challenge just as they do everywhere else.

Last edited:
Episode 14 (12:55 -13:10)

Can someone check this time for me? To me, Casey's sentence sounds edited to hell, we don't see her speak it, and every third word has a different tone to it, but no ones said a thing about it!

Feels like they literally strung words together from different diary room segments to match their storyline.

Another clear instance of this is in the last episode (ep 15) when Chad and Sophie are lying on the bed together the day after the reward challenge, and Casey is talking with Sarah outside, and Chad says to Sophie: "We have to be careful that Sarah doesn't flip". Chad is clearly speaking in the video and then the voice plays about 2 seconds after seeing his lips moving. Disgraceful editing. It's like as if the editors where as high as Cheech & Chong and the audio layer gets separated from the video layer and they can't remember what goes with what so stuff it.

It's probably not hard to find many more instances of this as we have observed.

Last edited:
Another clear instance of this is in the last episode (ep 15) when Chad and Sophie are lying on the bed together the day after the reward challenge, and Casey is talking with Sarah outside, and Chad says to Sophie: "We have to be careful that Sarah doesn't flip". Chad is clearly speaking in the video and then the voice plays about 2 seconds after seeing his lips moving. Disgraceful editing. It's like as if the editors where as high as Cheech & Chong and the audio layer gets separated from the video layer and they can't remember what goes with what so stuff it.

It's probably not hard to find many more instances of this as we have observed.
That instance looks to me like they've cut out a piece of audio before that sentence, as I think the lip sync on it gets back in sync while he says it, but his mouth clearly moves before the audio cuts in. The timestamp in the video for that is about 30:00.

Just had a rando thought earlier, could you imagine with the edit Daniel is getting, if this was live and it was one of those 'Leave the winner to walk around the house' finales... It'd be hilarious if we got:

Big TV: plays the Zoom call from Anna moment 'Do you still love me'?
Cue Anna entering from the diary room hallway,

Big Brother: "Daniel please turn around theres one last surprise for you"
They spot each other, start slow-mo running to hug and cue music:

Whitney: "AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-E-IIIIIIIIIIII WILLL ALWAYS LOVE YOOUUUUUUU......." *Sax solo*

Cringe and Cheesetastic. Channel Seven call me Haha.

Just had a rando thought earlier, could you imagine with the edit Daniel is getting, if this was live and it was one of those 'Leave the winner to walk around the house' finales... It'd be hilarious if we got:

Big TV: plays the Zoom call from Anna moment 'Do you still love me'?
Cue Anna entering from the diary room hallway,

Big Brother: "Daniel please turn around theres one last surprise for you"
They spot each other, start slow-mo running to hug and cue music:

Whitney: "AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-E-IIIIIIIIIIII WILLL ALWAYS LOVE YOOUUUUUUU......." *Sax solo*

Cringe and Cheesetastic. Channel Seven call me Haha.
Nothing can beat BB doing that to Peter with his younger bro!!

According to Sunrise, the Producers' told Kieran that he hit the buzzer 2 seconds before the end of the minute.

So here's something interesting. I have done a small, rough, but perhaps telling analysis of the white room red buzzer scene. Would like this peer reviewed if possible to make sure I'm not imagining anything, but...

First up, there is a scene before the commercial break where Sonia annouces : "Are you clear Kieran and Sophie".... Kieran responds. Sonia: "The minute on the clock starts ........ now ".

Following the commercial break, we see the same footage, but no interjection from Matt, Dan and the other housemates but more focus on Sophie and Kieran (as you'd expect). Also noticeably, there is less dramatic music playing when she announces the "minute on the clock starts".

There is clearly more of a delay in the version after the commercial break between "the clock starts" and "now". Ok, fair enough, they want to edit it up and make it more dramatic for us, and it's not the first time we have noticed something like this. Tone and inflection of Sonia's voice is the same according to my recording the audio and doing a comparison, so there 95% wasn't a second take done.

So then I decided to time how long the edit shows the under a minute to last until Kieran hits the red button. I may be off at most about a second or two, but the edit length is 1 minute 39 seconds. That must mean that 39 seconds where added to reaction shots from the housemates, or possibly some footage of Kieran and Sophie was repeated.

Not necessarily! I did another playback of the scene, and carefully hit stop on the timer when there were housemate reaction shots as best I could. I also took care to look at any possible repeats or unrealistic jumps in the positions of Kieran and Sophie, and found nothing that I could notice, in effect what we were seeing could almost have been in realtime. Now, the timings I got of just footage of Kieran and Sophie, playing in what appears to be consecutive order without a high possibility of a lot of content being used to reverse edit their footage, is 1 minute and 27 seconds. Now, give or take perhaps 10 seconds where there could have been some backward jumps in the footage of Kieran and Sophie, that is still clearly much more than 1 minute. Clearly, there is no slow motion footage used as it would be quite evident in their movements.

Thus, I conclude that this was faked.

Detective Daze is on the case.
Would be able to do a much better analysis if somebody is able to record the footage and put some timecode on top of the footage. We could work out the rate of cash injected per second, the amount of flip flops in the edit, and do a possible slam dunk lol.

Edit:
I did sort of manage to calculate that on my video recorder it's 29 frames per second on the recorder I'm using atm, and each frame adds $13 of value. That amounts to $377 per second and $22,620 as the maximum possible prize. Although that doesn't fit with the implied "two seconds to go" as Kieran won $15k. So something is off. I suspect that there may have been a retake.

Last edited:
I think you're right BB Daze, there was definitely some selective editing going on, but it does seem likely that the "exactly one minute" time limit was fake, and that the producers let the buzzer off as soon as they had the result they wanted.
Purely from watching it in real time, it did seem a lot longer than one minute.

TV Tonight picked this up earlier - laughable the defence from Sonia is along the lines of "but I watched it." The point is in true Big Brother such things should be watched by all viewers, not just the presenter and a couple of producers.

I did sort of manage to calculate that on my video recorder it's 29 frames per second on the recorder I'm using atm
The show is broadcast at 25fps, your recorder is adding in additional frames which has resulted in an incorrect calculation.

However I have reviewed the footage as aired (at the original 25fps) and noted that the count was increasing by $13 each frame as you said - but every 4th frame was increasing by $14. I have checked various parts of the segment and pattern isn't completely consistent as there are some shots that perfectly increase by $13 each frame. So it's impossible to calculate when the button was actually pushed without unedited footage. However, as these are the only two patterns I've found in the footage we got, we can calculate the below:

If you follow the $13, $13, $13, $14 every four frames pattern, the maximum he could've obtained is $19,875. Kieran would have had to have pressed the buzzer at exactly 46 and 8/25ths of a second.

If you follow the $13 per frame pattern, the maximum he could've obtained is $19,500.Kieran would have had to have pressed the buzzer at exactly 47 and 5/25ths of a second.

In summary: what the producer allegedly told Kieran is impossible.

Last edited:
It seems fair to say that most likely they set 20k as the maximum prize amount, based on that figure and a longer pattern.If that’s the case then he would have hit the buzzer at 45 seconds. Yeh, seems a bit off, especially with the length of the edit.

I thought section 21 of the 2020 BB final 3 Voting Terms & Conditions needed a little adjusting... 🙄

If for any reason the Voting Service Seven is not capable of running Big Brother as planned, due to causes including but not limited to tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of ESA or Seven, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Voting Service Big Brother, ESA and Seven BBAU fans reserve the right to take any action that may be available to reach a final voting result from any and all legitimate voting data available demand that the next Big Brother series be live.​

😒

Back