Skip to main content

Australian Survivor to return in 2021

jlp-survivor-637x397.jpg

Oh my! Hello!

Other than Fiji not paying for it I don't think filming in Australia would be too much of a problem. Sadly the location isn't the factor it once was for the Survivor franchise and now every series is pretty much in "Generic Survivor land" and just relies on a camp (well two), then challenge location and tribal council location, which are nothing more than sets really.

I would actually cry if they filmed it in the Herbert river in QLD again, the same location as US Season 2, The Australian Outback. Its in QLD so great for Covid, the weather will be interesting, we might get another flooded camp. Theres something so mesmerising about that location

Reactions: kxk
USA vs Australia season for screening on both CBS and 10 Not sure how these logistics would work though considering you’d have to co-ordinate between CBS, 10, MGM and Endemol

USA vs Australia season for screening on both CBS and 10 Not sure how these logistics would work though considering you’d have to co-ordinate between CBS, 10, MGM and Endemol
It would have to be in the US format. CBS would never air multiple extra long episodes a week. This whole point is moot anyway. Will never happen.

I think even if they wanted to they can't by law right? I believe all game show prize recipients have to be a US citizen for tax purposes I believe
That was something I wondered when the prospect of Holey Moley filming the Aussie version on the US course was originally announced. Obviously that's been canned now but if you win the prize in the US is it taxed in the US?

Obviously now the course has been built in Australia that's not an issue but did wonder if they might have to do the final round locally so no prize was won in the US.

You guys might not be far off. I've heard rumblings from someone involved with Tourism Australia that US are exploring filming here again, with AU production to piggyback the location as they have done with Fiji. Lots of red tape because of Covid, but apparently everyone is keen to find a way to make it work.

That was something I wondered when the prospect of Holey Moley filming the Aussie version on the US course was originally announced. Obviously that's been canned now but if you win the prize in the US is it taxed in the US?

Obviously now the course has been built in Australia that's not an issue but did wonder if they might have to do the final round locally so no prize was won in the US.

The whole prize/tax thing is really complicated. You essentially become an employee of the network, so for Survivor US to have international contestants means that there are visa's involved, and taxation obligations have to be met. I believe the Viacom-CBS merger was what allowed Canadian's to be cast because they could sponsor visa's and pay the prize through a joint-venture production agreement through one of it's Canadian subsidiaries. Theoretically, the same could be done for Australia via Ten, although that doesn't make sense given we have an active local franchise.

Holey Moley is a little different because it's an Australian production using the US set purely as a filming location. Prize is paid by the local network.

Back