Skip to main content

Australian Survivor - series review

Yeah, both tragic in different ways.
They often say the runner up in most AU reality shows does best out of it. Given what became of Rob and Joel, that's definitely true for Sciona. I wonder what became of her post-Survivor?

...haha!... sometimes I forget that their are such cultural differences between the USA and Australia... that 'mateship' thing is firmly instilled in most Australians I have to say... when my parents emmigrated to Australia dragging us kids kicking and screaming behind them because we didn't want to come here I found it very hard as a 14 year old to get used to Aussies being like that... in fact... when the Aussie kids kept shit-stirring me I used to beat them up... it's only when one of them eventually took me aside and whispered to me that when Aussies pick on you it's because they actually 'LIKE' you!... hahaha!... I was shocked to say the least... he said that if they didn't pick on you they hated you... it took me a while to get used to that...

... in the East End slums of London where I lived at the time... if anyone shit-stirred you you'd 'nut them'!... (beat the crap out of them) so when they did it here of course... it meant a totally different thing lol!... Rose711... these Aussies are a funny lot but you can't help but love them lol!...

...actually... Aussies call us English immigrants 'Pom's or 'Pommies'... (after the convicts that colonised here in the first place... Prisoners Of Mother England methinks!)... and my sweet darling wife is English too... we've both been here for going on 50 and 60 years respectively and we like to call ourselves 'Possies'... (pommy-aussies)... lol!... as I said... the Aussies are a funny lot but we love them anyway!... so I do understand as to why that 'mateship' thing throws you at times l0l!... cheers.
Thanks for this. I do love Australians as they seem from what I've seen on tv and on the forum a fairly fun loving, easy going group of people compared to the uptight Americans I'm around all the time in New York!
I can tell you that mateship is not the same as friendship is in the US. Mateship is more of a closeness and moral connection while friendship in the US can mean just someone you get coffee with sometimes. At least that's my understanding. Also mateship makes it easier to mark who you can treat badly because they aren't in your group. I like mateship, even if I get tired of it, it's more of a term to use for your close friends. I'm a little jealous of the concept.

But that's just my take away from watching highly edited tv on a small screen! I can't wait until 2018 when I come and see for myself!

Thanks for this. I do love Australians as they seem from what I've seen on tv and on the forum a fairly fun loving, easy going group of people compared to the uptight Americans I'm around all the time in New York!
I can tell you that mateship is not the same as friendship is in the US. Mateship is more of a closeness and moral connection while friendship in the US can mean just someone you get coffee with sometimes. At least that's my understanding. Also mateship makes it easier to mark who you can treat badly because they aren't in your group. I like mateship, even if I get tired of it, it's more of a term to use for your close friends. I'm a little jealous of the concept.

But that's just my take away from watching highly edited tv on a small screen! I can't wait until 2018 when I come and see for myself!

...I was glad that I could help :)... where are you visiting in Australia Rose711?... if you end up in Sydney around that time it would be fantastic to meet you and say 'hello' if you were up to it... (you don't have to say 'yes' if you prefer not to)... anyway... the offer is there regardless my sweet lady... cheers.

I liked Des more than Evan, went way too soon, one of the better oddballs. Some of the casting was fine, like Kat, Flick, Phoebe. But some seemed off, Andrew for instance seemed a one dimensional parody of the Survivor gameplayer. Sue was just there as the older woman mother figure. And you had all these people talking about being honest like there was another unspoken prize available for 'Most Honest', I assume won by Barry and his hat. It was obvious they were aiming for diversity in the cast but it made it seem disjointed and a bit fabricated.

The host was ok, but he was definitely taking his cues from Jeff Probst. He's like a low key Probst, not as enthusiastic but serviceable.

They did a whole load of episodes, ok but they also did several a week which could have made it hard for some to keep up. A channel did exactly the same when the Australian version of The Mole was brought back, it failed. Like it's just trying to milk a show for more viewing slots. There's always a danger of spreading the budget thin doing that, the challenges were better after the opening few episodes, though no big one at the end.

...I was glad that I could help :)... where are you visiting in Australia Rose711?... if you end up in Sydney around that time it would be fantastic to meet you and say 'hello' if you were up to it... (you don't have to say 'yes' if you prefer not to)... anyway... the offer is there regardless my sweet lady... cheers.
I'm going to the Great Barrier Reef as part of a masters degree. If I have the money I'm going to stay longer and travel
Australia! Will let people here know what I'm doing as it gets closer!!

The biggest problem with so many episodes a week might be that they couldn't keep it in the slots regularly, so it could have lost some of the audience it might have had. That seems to have happened before on Australian reality shows. If people expect something to be on and then it isn't it will just annoy them.

The biggest problem with so many episodes a week might be that they couldn't keep it in the slots regularly, so it could have lost some of the audience it might have had. That seems to have happened before on Australian reality shows. If people expect something to be on and then it isn't it will just annoy them.
No, the bigger problem is Channel 10 has always been the "wannabe". Take a leaf out of the Survivor handbook, play your own game and watch the others scramble.

The biggest problem with so many episodes a week might be that they couldn't keep it in the slots regularly
Well, no. They had originally planned for it to be Sun/Mon only, but from week two decided to run it Sun/Mon/Tue, which it did consistently for five weeks, until they skipped one Sunday because of the NRL grand final, after which they cut it back to Sun/Mon.

It was always in the 7.30 slot.

Compared to the way Nine has treated US Survivor over recent years, this could be considered extremely consistent. I don't think scheduling was a problem at all, apart from the obvious clash with The Block's reveals on Sundays, of course.

I meant days, I don't know exactly what time it was shown. The US one normally seems one episode a week and the same day. No idea how the Australian channel shows that, if they mess that up then that's obviously a problem too.

Yeah everybody vote, just voted and thankfully Survivor & Gogglebox are in different categories.

LOL, I did that too, Offsiders is the only option, I don't care for sports presenters & boof heads (cricket is acceptable)

And I voted for every quirky person or show i could, lots of votes for 10/ABC/SBS stuff & actors, cause I hate 9 & 7

Simply getting your point about Kat it was intriguing how El, Lee and Kristie had only pleasant things to say in regards to her in the opening of tonights show in spite of apparently attempting to get her voted off at each tribal until she went. That is however the magnificence of this amusement the diversion is the amusement and all in all it can remain in the diversion.

Back