Skip to main content

Australian Survivor Ratings

I guess a lot of people (not us, but "normal" people ;) ) just don't want to think. "Oh, look at the pretty desserts" is a lot less challenging than the twists & turns of Survivor.

I haven't checked the demos, but I'd hazard a guess it is older people watching Zumbo...

Maybe masterchef and mkr and such have altered the viewers' brain unconsciously
into tuning in to everything that has making food in it. This should be researched by academic psychologists.
Maybe survivor production should have made rice/egg/beans cooking challenges instead.
Suddenly it makes sense why Block NZ has a challenge making each other dinners.

How long is Survivor running? I think ZJD has only 10 or 11 episodes, so it's half (or nearly) way through.

Oh, dear. Poor old Ten. I agree with most of the comments on this post. I understand now that they will not be fucking shifting the Project to half an hour during the week (one hour is too long and they lose the headstart on the other channels with their Reality programming, show after show this way), but surely they could bring Survivor forward half an hour on a Sunday? Nope.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/09/block-reveal-tops-sunday-reality-battle.html

The Block reveal grabbed back its Sunday night crown in the reality battle with 1.07m viewers -despite being down on last week’s 1.15m viewers. Divisive scoring and volatile contestant comments helped the show top the demos.

The Big Music Quiz also lost ground dropping from 1.21m last week to 930,000 last night -a loss of 281,000 viewers. But Australian Survivor had to settle for #4 in its slot, losing another 102,000 viewers. At 560,000 it was its lowest performance so far. TEN’s show is struggling with no lead-in and rivals enjoying a half hour jump.

Sunday proved to be strong for Nine also winning with Nine News and 60 Minutes.It easily won the night in primary channel share, but Seven came out in front thanks to multichannels.
Vera was up for ABC but Grand Designs NZ was down slightly.

Seven network won 30.4% then Nine 29.4%, ABC 18.0%, TEN 15.1% and SBS 7.2%.
Seven News was best for Seven with 1.00m followed by The Big Music Quiz (930,000), Sunday Night(631,000) and Criminal Minds (413,000 / 281,000).

Nine News was #1 with 1.11m then The Block (1.07m), 60 Minutes (722,000) and Killer on the Line(322,000).

ABC News (763,000), Vera (716,000), Grand Designs NZ (612,000) and Compass (261,000) comprised ABC’s night.

Australian Survivor (560,000) was best for TEN. Modern Family was 397,000 / 317,000. TEN Eyewitness News was 292,000. FIA Formula One was 185,000 in 3 cities.

On SBS it was Treasures Decoded (283,000), World’s Biggest Sea Battle (198,000), SBS World News (189,000) and Curing Alzheimer’s (133,000).

7mate movie The Bourne Supremacy was best on multichannels with 242,000.

OzTAM Overnights:Sunday 4 September 2016.

Oh, dear. Poor old Ten.

Seven News was best for Seven with 1.00m followed by The Big Music Quiz (930,000)
The Block (1.07m)

Australian Survivor (560,000)

Ten really had a Barry huh!?

I commented last night while watching that #SurvivorAU was not trending on Twitter, and that maybe that boded poorly for the ratings, and sure enough...

Ten will be devastated at that result though. I hope it picks up so it can be renewed next year.

Ten really had a Barry huh!?

I commented last night while watching that #SurvivorAU was not trending on Twitter, and that maybe that boded poorly for the ratings, and sure enough...

Ten will be devastated at that result though. I hope it picks up so it can be renewed next year.

I think I heard it was already renewed?? (Or that could be a false memory!) Even though it's shit ratings, it still managed to be the best of the night for Ten, so that's something.

It's a brilliant show, and just so beautifully filmed.

As I said in Survivor Ep 7 thread, I think more "non-regular fans" viewers of survivor,
had a hard time with the three tribes. The block teams are constant, 10 people and so
are easy to keep following even if you've missed an episode or two.

While survivor is harder to get into, and with 24 people, 3 tribes.. its harder to follow.
For the next season should there be one, survivor has to start with 2 teams and 20 max,
with more focus on names, relationships and alliances

As I said in Survivor Ep 7 thread, I think more "non-regular fans" viewers of survivor,
had a hard time with the three tribes. The block teams are constant, 10 people and so
are easy to keep following even if you've missed an episode or two.

While survivor is harder to get into, and with 24 people, 3 tribes.. its harder to follow.
For the next season should there be one, survivor has to start with 2 teams and 20 max,
with more focus on names, relationships and alliances

Simple folk, who don't mind being talked to like kindergartners by Scott Cam and Shelley, enjoy the block. You can't make a decent production of Survivor and cater to them. That's how the previous two tries failed.

The US Survivor regularly starts with three tribes. No-one is expected to know and remember every player at this stage, which is why they focus on who is forefront of that episode's action, introducing moments from the other tribes. It's the same in the US. 24 is only a few more people than 20. But even with 20 they do not give a good understanding of every player until later on in the game, and even then some get lost in the edit as they don't give good moments of play or good soundbites.

Let's be honest, Ratings are not even a true indication of who is really watching it.

It's about time they come up with a better idea to get a true indication of what people are really watching.

Let's be honest, Ratings are not even a true indication of who is really watching it.

It's about time they come up with a better idea to get a true indication of what people are really watching.

I don't know. There are a lot of different figures we don't get to see, and adjusted figures to allow for time-shift viewing, etc. The number of boxes per capita used to extrapolate the date seems puny - but is apparently higher than the same per centage-wise used in the United States. I would like to see Regionaltam data combined with Oztam's major capital cities, etc. It does sound as if they do have solid data and reasoning behind their collection process - even though they've never offered me a ratings box!

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/08/oztam-answers-your-ratings-questions.html

As long as it doesn't fall much further I think Ten will be keen to hold on to it. Firstly they need to ask the question whether anything could do better for them in the slot next year, and I doubt it could. Secondly if they give it up would another network be likely to pick it up, and there is probably a risk that Nine could, if not now a year or two down the line.

I think what the show needs is to do well enough to get recommissioned, but remain below par so that any recommission is for a shorter run with fewer episodes. Long term that is probably the best outcome for Australian Survivor.

For a Ten show, it's rating pretty well. Could be better, of course. And it's doing well in the all-important demographics, which is what counts with the advertisers.

Gone are the days when a show was considered a flop if it rated under a million. I am still hoping the numbers will climb as the season continues. Most folk aren't very bright - so that will hinder the numbers.

It was bad timing I think, starting it straight after the Olympics. After Seven promoting the hell out of all the shows it was going to start after the Olympics.

Back