Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2019) - Episode 10 Discussion

The setup of the whole episode is that David goes, so that's what you'd expect really. But I'd rather Luke go, than David.

Saying he has beady eyes is really shallow though, best never to just judge on whether you like someone's looks or not. When you have gameplayers they can be people you can potentially work with, at least they give more opportunity than those who just stick to one group forever

Yeah, apart from a bit of fun about eye candy, my opinions of none of them are based on what they look like.

The setup of the whole episode is that David goes, so that's what you'd expect really. But I'd rather Luke go, than David.

Saying he has beady eyes is really shallow though, best never to just judge on whether you like someone's looks or not. When you have gameplayers they can be people you can potentially work with, at least they give more opportunity than those who just stick to one group forever

That's like saying someone has a big nose.

Close but no cigar. It would have worked but for that pesky Andy.
At least idols are flushed, if not arrogance.
Luke is as unbearable as David, now.

There was a Hannah? There's a Simon too, and he's good with balls.

I sadly agree with you about Luke. Luke 2017 > Luke 2019. Prior to his return he was probably my favourite survivor contestant of all three seasons (next to Shonee), yet this year he's taking on more of the villain role along with David in my perception. Aside from the family situation which I can more than relate to, I feel this series could result in massive character derailment in Luke.

I sadly agree with you about Luke. Luke 2017 > Luke 2019. Prior to his return he was probably my favourite survivor contestant of all three seasons (next to Shonee), yet this year he's taking on more of the villain role along with David in my perception. Aside from the family situation which I can more than relate to, I feel this series could result in massive character derailment in Luke.

Luke and David are not villains in Survivor. Tessa was the villain in both Survivor and Masterchef.

He was great with Jericho, because Jericho is all joy and positivity. Paired with David, it brings out the nasty side and amplifies the arrogance.

Luke and David are not villains in Survivor. Tessa was the villain in both Survivor and Masterchef.

Personally I'd classify survivor Tessa as the underdog who eventually got blindsided by those she had no other choice but to eventually work with. As for Masterchef Tessa, I don't think I need to clarify my opinions on that.

He was great with Jericho, because Jericho is all joy and positivity. Paired with David, it brings out the nasty side and amplifies the arrogance.

I feel that the juxtaposition with Luke and Jericho worked in Luke's favour in terms of his character perception. It allowed for Luke's self proclaimed title 'king of the jungle' to seem a bit cheeky and funny. David just helps amplify Luke's arrogance. I do not believe Luke to be an arrogant person at all, the pair together just makes it seem that way I feel.

Andy seems so damn desperate to make some epic move and cement himself as a playa, and everyone else is like "Nah bro, sit down."

Even after he’s just been left out of everyone else’s voting plans, he will still think he’s the king of strategy.

That has made me wonder if they can get their idols back as souvenirs once it's all over.

I expect not, as I only remember people showing their idols at reunions if they never played them.

I was hoping the bits where they showed David & Luke whispering "play your idols" was misdirection, and they wouldn't. Because why would the show want to give away what could have been a massive shock by spelling out what actually happened, rather than leaving an element of suspense? While it is interesting to know what is being whispered, it isn't actually fair to subtitle things that aren't otherwise audible. The outcome should hinge on what is said to the group.

I've got the feeling Survivor has become more about whispering and isolated group talks at tribal than it used to be (at least from my memory). Maybe it's because people are creating more uncertainty at tribal with dropping information to stir things up.

There's always a balance between having an element of surprise and the audience knowing in advance. The main element arguably is that some of those at tribal should be surprised. The audience likes to have some privileged knowledge, and when they are totally blindsided I've found some quite angry even. I don't mind surprise as long as some seeds are planted somewhere to make it at least partly logical.

There was still some ambiguity at tribal as to who would leave the game though. Most people probably thought Hannah would end up being safe, even though she had been given one of the options. Most probably thought Shaun was going once we knew that David and Luke were likely to play idols. So some information wasn't given to us, and when that happens you hope to get that explained in the following episode.

I think it only annoyed me so much because I badly wanted David to go, so when he was saying he wouldn't use his idol and Luke said the same, I was punching the air, which was then followed by disappointment once they reversed their decisions. It did make Luke look pretty silly though, claiming he was the king of the jungle with balls of steel, then doing the opposite.

Hannah going was a surprise, but as collateral damage it was the best non-David or Luke option as she both contributed nothing entertainment-wise and overdid the worried act. (Well, unless they blindsided sneaky Andy, but I don't think anyone is too threatened by him).

Some Instagram comments by daisy and Shaun’s Instagram story have stated that the Hannah plan was planned as a back up as they suspected luke having an idol. Looks like we really were deprived of some key information. Because to me, it looked as if the Hannah votes came out of no where at tribal.

So whoever voted Hannah, are they with the Luke aliance?
Baden and John perhaps ?
Quite clear they had a plan B in case Luke had an idol or they felt the two were aware of the blindside plan - they'd have known there was a risk Shaun would go. I guess Andy was also supposed to vote Hannah.

That is one thing I hate about Tribal - they just usually end up flushing out the true plan. If they went straight in and voted I suspect the result would have been different.

I also think they picked the wrong name to convince David and Luke - had they told them Andy was the target then that would have appealed more to David's strategic side and with Andy being the obvious sneak in the tribe had he gone and told them the true plan it looks like he's just been given duff information.

One thing watching last night though was how the Contenders on the Champions Tribe actually might have screwed up by picking Shaun and potentially given the original Champions an advantage into merge. Had they had time to strategize they might have realised bringing over an ex-Champion would be the best move to balance the numbers of Contenders on the Contenders tribe and give them a chance at their next tribal at 4 all.

Back