Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2018) - Episode 24 FINALE Discussion

I *THINK* the Final 2 will be:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The edit and storyline they pitch has always heavily guided opinions on Survivor and it was interesting how Brian became the loveable King Grub yet the reality was he was a 'villain' who wasn't trustable. Benji was promoted as that instead after Russell left and that was meant to be his role in the end.

Shane simply didn't didn't have many concrete points to push, and nothing post-merge. She went on about being a snake without really having much evidence, she won more based on not upsetting people which is the opposite of a snake.

Except Brian did not come across as loveable. From what I saw on social media most people didn't want him to win.

I missed commenting the past couple of weeks but can see again without glasses. If you ever need cataracts removed...GO FOR THE SURGERY!!..its around 5 minutes each eye and painless, and a few days or sooner after its over you will only ever possibly need reading glasses and see clearly again at distance.

Anyways.....I loved the well deserved Russell shade at the reunion. He truly sucks at the game and production wanted to stick it to him.

Think Sharn should have won but admire Shane for hanging in there so long at 61 and finally getting a payoff for her achievements!

Still adore Lydia and hope she gets an opportunity to play again.

Sharn may not have told Mat that she had heard whispers but he should have at least given her credit for trying to save him with the idol before Benji talked her out of it. She deserved some brownie points for that at least.

The best news however was the announcement of casting for season 7 and not having to worry whether or not the show will be renewed.

Monika and IMHO Tegan looked stunning. Not sure how the top half of Tegans dress was being held up.

Zac is an idiot.

Entertaining and great reading all your posts and best wishes to all from Canada until next year!

Almost forgot to mention....all the talk about honesty and loyalty at final tribal council but not a mention of how Sharn willingly blindsided a loyal alliance member who was part of her core ....Lydia. That should have been brought up at some point.

Also noted that Mr. Integrity Mat was a very willing participant in the Lydia blindside

I picked Shane as the winner from the beginning. She’s a champion and a national hero. Who was really going to vote her off if she was fine to be around?
I never thought she could win. Firstly because she would be unlikely to win the final immunity challenge, and secondly because it would be silly to take her to F2 for the person who did (whoops Sharn).

I never thought she could win. Firstly because she would be unlikely to win the final immunity challenge, and secondly because it would be silly to take her to F2 for the person who did (whoops Sharn).

I prefer a finalist who takes someone who is their equal rather than someone they can easily beat. It might not be smart strategically but it shows integrity. The exception being if they have no ties or friendship with either, in which case take the most hated or most useless (unless you're Russell Hantz, in which case it doesn't matter who you take, they'll still beat you.)

The AU and NZ versions go on a lot about integrity but it can seem quite hypocritical.

Also any mix of veterans/newbies instead of being all originals or all stars is something of a gimmick version. It is interesting how the producers have managed to take the blame off themselves for that as if somehow Russell forced his way onto their show against their will. :D

The Champions/Contenders theme didn't really work for me either, these kind of themes are overdone now and when set up like this can result in a disparity between the sides and probably even the interest of the audience (though I didn't know any of the champions the show obviously isn't made for overseas viewers).

these kind of themes are overdone now and when set up like this can result in a disparity between the sides and probably even the interest of the audience (though I didn't know any of the champions the show obviously isn't made for overseas viewers).
I wasn't so keen on this theme either. And to be fair many of the Champions were unknown to the wider public: the amputee guy, Sharn, Monika, I don't follow AFL so didn't know who Brian was (although that's more of a relection on me than him lol) etc. To me it was like they wanted to do Celebrities V Nobodies but didn't know how to pitch that, so settled with Champions V Contenders and cast some Champions who weren't celebrities to justify it.

I wasn't so keen on this theme either. And to be fair many of the Champions were unknown to the wider public: the amputee guy, Sharn, Monika, I don't follow AFL so didn't know who Brian was (although that's more of a relection on me than him lol) etc. To me it was like they wanted to do Celebrities V Nobodies but didn't know how to pitch that, so settled with Champions V Contenders and cast some Champions who weren't celebrities to justify it.
I liked that many of the Champions weren't instantly recognisable or well known to the general public. They weren't all sporting champions which was good. They are champions in their field, that is making it to the top of their field and in this smallish arena of fame, they've been acknowledged for their efforts. Shane, possibly one of the most decorated of sporting champions of all time, was accorded the highest accolade of all.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I had no problem with that. I'd have preferred not having sporting celebrities though, just champions of fields such as science, the arts, charity, etc who weren't already household names.
Unfortunately, as Australians are, generally speaking, sports mad, the premise of Champions wouldn't have the draw if no-one as a champion was not a public figure and moreso a sporting figure. I enjoyed watching them compete in areas not in their field of expertise, but applying the trades they know to adapt accordingly. The few times we saw Shane swim was a sheer delight. I wonder if she just swam 'laps' in the sea that we never saw as exercise. If she did, I never saw it.

Back