Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2016) - Episode 8 Discussion

Australian Survivor ‏@Survivor_AU 59m59 minutes ago
It's MERGE time. Meet our two new tribes. How do think this will affect the game? #SurvivorAU

Crqcat6WIAAgTAG.jpg

CrqcattXgAAkgi1.jpg

From Team Red to team Blue... and it seemed like they wanted El for a good reason because she's a GUN at challenges <3
She should still be safe for a while too since they picked Jennah for cannon fodder and they still have Kylie and Nick to kick out too :D

Having said that I would prefer Kylie and Nick to Brooke and Flick xD

Disappointed that there was no tribal council tonight. I guess that's normal after a merge, it still feels like it needed a better ending for the week though,
There is always a tribal council and boot in US Survivor unless some rare medivac happens.

I'm losing track of all the twists!
I don't know who is aligned with who anymore but I'm betting on that block of the blue tribe to make it far. Their tribe looks strong. If anything, this is unfair advantage to keep them together instead of just drawing from a hat, but Survivor is never fair. (Ask Tegan, though she could have easily saved herself. She just was t good though she's pretty.)

I think they will have one more swap before what US survivor calls the merge- when they become one tribe and all immunity is individual. In US survivor this would be called a "swap."

They usually merge at 11 but have merged at 13 in the second chances season.
Right now we are about at the number where US survivor begins.

What do you guys think? Have there been too many twists? What do you think of the new tribes?

Does Rohan have the idol? I don't think Kylie's will be put back into play with only two tribes.

Last edited:
Was weird not having a tribal at the end, could have at least shown Craig finding the idol, or whoever got the clue on the other tribe (if there was one)
Yes Rohan has an idol. From the ad that I saw, he's really going to need to use it. And there'll be MUD!
The biggest blunder ever.
We can only hope.

Does anyone think Nick is pushing too hard for revenge? He needs allies. He only survived the last vote because he was stronger than Tegan. I don't think the new tribe will need him for strength but I don't think they will lose anytime soon.

What do you guys think? Have there been too many twists? What do you think of the new tribes?

...I really have enjoyed the twists and turns and whatever that have happened so far Rose711 because I just thought that they were all par for the course of the show from the point of a first timer for the show... but for people that are veterans of the show they may think that there have been too many I guess... I've loved the pace of this series as a Survivor 'virgin'... I just hope that the twists and turns continue just as long they don't bog the show down that's all... but I am so loving this show as a first timer... it's brilliant!... cheers.

FYI: Rob has a podcast will be doing the live week 3 recap on Wednesday 6pm EST. You guys are 14 hours ahead so is that 8am Thursday your time? There is usually a live chat room going as they discuss it live. I think you can tweet questions to them as well. You can tweet questions ahead of time.

(My only question would be from last episode: why the 2-2-2 tie?)

All I can say is they seem to be very much enjoying this season.

For @Mr Stickyfingers : Rob was on the 6th season of survivor and basically changed the way the game was played. He was also on Survivor All Stars but they voted him out early because he was so smart. Jeff Probst called him the smartest player to never win.

So it's fantastic that he and Stephen are supporting Survivor Australia. Everyone listens to his podcasts.

Episode 8: Merger they wrote

So we all knew from the very start, Agony, with such a low number, were going to
be the ones split up between blues and yellows. But just to make it fair (seemingly)
the blue tribe, who won the "right to do whatever you want" decided to go nicking
and also split yellow alliances, aka - "Nicks big revenge". but even he probably
realized how much it was stupid of him, as his nemesis has one vote, just like him,
and may find allies in the blue tribe to get Nick kicked off instead of her. After all,
he is more of the threat ("snake") than Jennah-Louis, and with Lee and Sam, they
dont need Nick for "strength" anymore. Again, knowing there was going to be a merge,
they may have made a bad choice keeping him over Tegan.

But we learn it was a "last minute choice" by mastermind-magician-whatever-matt.
Or that may be a coverup for production stepping in before tribal and ensuring when
it came to nick vs tegan, they want nick in, because he makes much better tv, and
still has to "play his revenge". It was just too good for the production to lose, and so,
the tribe knew they had to vote off Tegan.
Here comes the merge, and nick knows what is expected of him - plot the revenge.

Kat, with 7 lives gone and 2 to play, is throwing herself at the yellows, pleading to escape
from disfunctional leftovers of the Agony tribe. Poor Rohan, he wasnt picked for blue.
And now Kat is branding him as a dictator, but - with an immunity . Will that just
come to bite her in the butt when they throw her under the bus and stick with Ro -
yes it will. poor Kat, at least she tried.

The production wants a new storyline - "the smug elitist blues" vs "underdogs yellow".
Can the yellows, who lost strongman sam, but got rohan, challenge the sam-lee smackdown?

Last edited:
So yet another episode without tribal council - it's as if they didn't begin with enough contestants! Ideally they should have given the winners immunity and the chance to pick new tribe members, with the others tribes then merging and going to tribal council 24 hours later.

It does annoy me though how production just doesn't follow through with stories - half of yesterdays episode seemed to be about Kate's boil, yet not mentioned today when really you'd expect her to sit out the challenge, especially one that involved gripping around poles to hold them steady, something I'd have thought be quite painful with a boil under the arm.

Also Connor - why didn't Saanapu want him back as well, and how did Connor (and Sam) feel about that. I know they effectively voted him out but it wasn't with any of the bitterness Vavua had to Nick - I think Connor would have been incredibly grateful to return home and he'd be a crucial number heading to the real merge into one tribe. Now he's been snubbed twice by the tribe they're unlikely to be able to count on his vote once it reaches the individual phase.

I do wish they'd waited another couple of weeks before the merge as the small numbers were making it interesting now, especially on the two tribes where the women outnumbered the men, but there was more than an all girls alliance going on. After years of watching the women always turn on each other at the first opportunity in Big Brother it was quite interesting to see them somewhat reluctantly working together on this - and actually controlling the game.

Episode 8: Merger they wrote

So we all knew from the very start, Agony, with such a low number, were going to
be the ones split up between blues and yellows. But just to make it fair (seemingly)
the blue tribe, who won the "right to do whatever you want" decided to go nicking
and also split yellow alliances, aka - "Nicks big revenge". but even he probably
realized how much it was stupid of him, as his nemesis has one vote, just like him,
and may find allies in the blue tribe to get Nick kicked off instead of her. After all,
he is more of the threat ("snake") than Jennah-Louis, and with Lee and Sam, they
dont need Nick for "strength" anymore. Again, knowing there was going to be a merge,
they may have made a bad choice keeping him over Tegan.

But we learn it was a "last minute choice" by mastermind-magician-whatever-matt.
Or that may be a coverup for production stepping in before tribal and ensuring when
it came to nick vs tegan, they want nick in, because he makes much better tv, and
still has to "play his revenge". It was just too good for the production to lose, and so,
the tribe knew they had to vote off Tegan.
Here comes the merge, and nick knows what is expected of him - plot the revenge.

Kat, with 7 lives gone and 2 to play, is throwing herself at the yellows, pleading to escape
from disfunctional leftovers of the Agony tribe. Poor Rohan, he wasnt picked for blue.
And now Kat is branding him as a dictator, but - with an immunity . Will that just
come to bite her in the butt when they throw her under the bus and stick with Ro -
yes it will. poor Kat, at least she tried.

The production wants a new storyline - "the smug elitist blues" vs "underdogs yellow".
Can the yellows, who lost strongman sam, but got rohan, challenge the sam-lee smackdown?
Is production allowed to step in when there is a money prize? I guess they can always give hints. There are rules in the US that have to be followed to not fix the winner.

I will never understand the 2-2-2 vote if Tegan was the target. My feeling is that these players are still figuring things out. They maybe decided to keep Nick for strength but Tegan could have done more to save herself including voting for Nick.

I think you are right about the blue tribe. I'm guessing the core alliance goes very far as they have numbers thanks to the method of the swap.

Back