Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

And reigan derry appeared on idol and then X factor, she is doing reasonably well these days (and also weirdly performed on the X factor as the musical guest a few years before appearing as a contestant) but I still associate her with those shows
Yeah she was one half of that 'Scarlett Belle' with Tamara Jaber, who was ex-'Scandal'Us' (mixed gender group formed on Popstars Australia 2001) and also Kyle's wife at the time (or they had just split iirc and their debut 'Closure' was supposed to be partly a nod to that).

Amali Ward (10th place Idol 2004 (Edit: 11th was Dan O'Connor, who went on to acting in Neighbours and in Ricki Lee's 'Cant Touch It' Music video)) also appeared on that 2014 XFactor Season Reigan was on (Reigan was 11th place on Idol in 2006) but didnt get through to the live shows.

Adam Lambert is definitely successful! I feel like anyone who can remain in the industry and essentially be a standalone artist that people don’t think of as being from from Idol (or wherever) is undoubtedly a success. There are a few who have still done very well and are still working but for whatever reason still seem like idol alumni to me.
But he’s not a “standalone artist”. If it wasn’t for Queen he’d be a one hit wonder.

Pretty sure Emily Williams (and Alfie Acuri - another singer from a different singing show) were singing at a gay wedding on Extreme Weddings tonight.
I didn't watch the whole thing or have it recorded, so couldn't double-check her name.

Haha nah YEAH bro.

You haven’t obviously heard him sing this live:

*goosebumps*

Music is subjective blah blah. I did preface the post saying it was *my* opinion ;)

(Also I notice you’ve slightly altered the term you are going with from ‘breakout star’ to ‘standalone artist’ … which can have a different meaning)

The thing I love about him with Queen is that he isn’t just a Freddie tribute singer, he makes the songs his own. INCREDIBLE I tells ya!

Last edited:
Which is why I said he’s hardly achieved breakout stardom.
Surely the definition of a breakout star is someone who is known even by those who didn't know him from the show originally. The fact you know who he is means he is a breakout star.

And of all the front men Queen have had since Freddie Murcury he is the only one who has broken out as a star in that role. He has equal billing with them and has been in the role a decade now. Granted it may be at the expense of his own music but he's in one of the most successful touring acts around and as time has gone on he has as much pulling power as Queen themselves.

Surely the definition of a breakout star is someone who is known even by those who didn't know him from the show originally. The fact you know who he is means he is a breakout star.

And of all the front men Queen have had since Freddie Murcury he is the only one who has broken out as a star in that role. He has equal billing with them and has been in the role a decade now. Granted it may be at the expense of his own music but he's in one of the most successful touring acts around and as time has gone on he has as much pulling power as Queen themselves.
No. I know the name because I watched the show.

Also the only reason he gets “equal billing” is because there’s no replacement for Freddie. He was the frontman. He was Queen. Adam could never. Adding with _____ is the only appropriate way to address things.

I acknowledge this is a controversial opinion, but it is my opinion: I enjoy him singing Queen songs better than Freddie 🫣

Adam has an incredible voice. I’ve seen him live many times, both with Queen and Solo. The Queen set at the Fire Fight concert in 2020 was spine tingling! (And I also saw him with Queen the night before).

I watched his season on Idol and he was my absolute fave from the audition. As was Guy Sebastian and Ricki-Lee on their seasons.

I went to their concert in Melbourne in Feb 2020 just before everything got shut down due to Covid. They were amazing! One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

No. I know the name because I watched the show.

Also the only reason he gets “equal billing” is because there’s no replacement for Freddie. He was the frontman. He was Queen. Adam could never. Adding with _____ is the only appropriate way to address things.

I went to his solo concert in Melbourne in 2016 and it was completely sold out. He can sell tickets on his name alone, that makes him a star to me.

I mean, not everyone will be a fan or even aware of someone’s success but aspects of this will be objective I feel. I don’t know if Adam lambert would be a household name, but many would know him. Personally I haven’t watched any of American idol but I know of him, along with obviously Kelly Clarkson, Carrie underwood, Jordin Sparks, Jennifer Hudson, Katherine McPhee, Jennifer Hudson… so to me they have all transcended the show. Even listing those names including Adam I am not even 100% sure they are idol contestants.

Yeah she was one half of that 'Scarlett Belle' with Tamara Jaber, who was ex-'Scandal'Us' (mixed gender group formed on Popstars Australia 2001) and also Kyle's wife at the time (or they had just split iirc and their debut 'Closure' was supposed to be partly a nod to that).

Amali Ward (10th place Idol 2004 (Edit: 11th was Dan O'Connor, who went on to acting in Neighbours and in Ricki Lee's 'Cant Touch It' Music video)) also appeared on that 2014 XFactor Season Reigan was on (Reigan was 11th place on Idol in 2006) but didnt get through to the live shows.

I think Hayley Jensen was also on the voice that year too? And i feel like she wasn’t the only idol alumni that year either.

I mean, not everyone will be a fan or even aware of someone’s success but aspects of this will be objective I feel. I don’t know if Adam lambert would be a household name, but many would know him. Personally I haven’t watched any of American idol but I know of him, along with obviously Kelly Clarkson, Carrie underwood, Jordin Sparks, Jennifer Hudson, Katherine McPhee, Jennifer Hudson… so to me they have all transcended the show. Even listing those names including Adam I am not even 100% sure they are idol contestants.
Simply knowing someones name isn't a sign of success. The man is a failed solo act who's now piggybacking off Queen's successes.

No he can't. The name QUEEN sold those tickets. Adam is riding off the back of that success. That's hardly star power.
Did you miss my post where I said his solo concert was sold out? Queen had nothing to do with that. The people were there for his music, most of them knew all the words to his songs and were singing along. I would hardly call someone who has had 3 top 3 albums (including a number 1) in the US + multiple hit songs a 'failed solo act'.

Anyway I will stop here since you seem to have a negative bias against Adam.

Yes, a strange hill which to die on.

Do we know if the open auditions in the announced cities are including the judges being in each city or are they just producer auditions?

I believe Adam has had a number one album? Certainly top 10 albums and singles. Surely any aspiring artist would be stoked with that along with international tours and tv appearances. Let alone the enormous honour of even being considered a worthy replacement for Freddie Mercury, much less being so wildly accepted in the role.

Not to everyone’s taste or possibly even knowledge though I suppose.

Back