Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

yeah but he (HCJ) was also a guest judge on Australian Idol back in the day at least once.

Speaking of the US revival could you IMAGINE If they somehow could have gotten Katy Perry for Australia!?!? That would have been incredible 😻😻😻

Given how much 7 just paid to secure the AFL they wouldn't have been able to afford her. I mean she got paid 9 million for filming a 1 minnute commercial for Menulog and gets paid 25 million per season of American Idol.

Given how much 7 just paid to secure the AFL they wouldn't have been able to afford her. I mean she got paid 9 million for filming a 1 minnute commercial for Menulog and gets paid 25 million per season of American Idol.
And every single cent would PAY DIVIDENDS.

Haha I’m fully aware of her WORTH…. But you gotta see the VALUE

#obsessed 😻

She’s also not a great judge since she took on the role full time.

Nope he was a judge on the last few series of the FOX run.
Getting my bland run of the mill American singers mixed up.

Have to ponder if the reason The Voice has failed to create a star and I've heard of no one from the revival of American Idol is that maybe popstars aren't the best at finding talent and there was a reason music managers were put front and centre on the panel in the initial iterations of these formats.

Have to ponder if the reason The Voice has failed to create a star and I've heard of no one from the revival of American Idol is that maybe popstars aren't the best at finding talent and there was a reason music managers were put front and centre on the panel in the initial iterations of these formats.
Haha yeah that probably plays a role. Although Marcia and Mark were ex-pop stars.

I think Idol genuinely and authentically tried to unearth, grow and develop and launch stars.

The Voice and other modern iterations genuinely went to create ratings and boost judges careers.

You probably know Harry better as an actor not a singer. That said IIRC Harry was actually a pretty decent judge. He was the only judge on his panel to actually give constructive critiques.

Also the show is only a platform to showcase artists the real making of popstars happens after the show is finished. The reason that a show like The Voice hasn’t produced a genuine popstar is because there isn’t someone behind the show willing to invest in the talent.

Kelly Clarkson had Clive Davis and look what happened when Simon took an interest in Leona Lewis and One Direction.

Last edited:
You need the star makers involved, not the stars.

The Voice has always annoyed me - this years UK series can still create headlines, but week 1 was about Tom Jones singing a song about his wife, week 2 was Olly Murs singing a song about Caroline Flack, week 3 was about Anne Marie singing something, week 4 about Olly Murs singing a bit of Buble. No mention at all of the talent they may have found.

You need the star makers involved, not the stars.
The problem with The Voice is that they don’t even try to make stars. It’s 100% a TV show. The record contract (if they even still have a record contract prize) is just there to keep up appearances.

You need the right mix of marketable talent, people behind the scenes who know what they’re doing, and talent who are willing to be marketed.

IMO talent shows lost their ability to make stars when they stared pushing talent in to niches and expecting them to show up pre-packaged. This creates two scenarios; you have a winner who’s so niche that it doesn’t translate in to modern popular music, or you have an “artist” who doesn’t want to make the type of music that translates in to popular music.

You don’t go from this:

To this over night:

Last edited:
The X Factor in the UK would kind of go the opposite way. They'd have a year with real credible artists who felt current (James Arthur, Ella Henderson) then follow it up with a bland year with a karaoke winner.

Will be interesting to see how this goes though. Possibly it might run alongside BB if they run the live shows weekly alongside BB airing Mon-Wed.

Australian Idol has definitely produced more stars than any other talent format in this country. I hope it stays that way, but with the nature of TV these days, I'm concerned that might not be the case.

I haven't watched the US version for years, but are they still producing stars?

I haven't watched the US version for years, but are they still producing stars?
Aside from the odd clip on YouTube neither have I. I don’t believe any of the Disney era contests have really achieved mainstream success.

I still watch the US version when I can, but it's hard because it's not on Australian tv anymore and I find sourcing entire seasons on time every week very tedious (being old school and not a streamer). It's not even on Foxtel, which I don't have anymore.
It is extremely disposable, and I can't really remember anyone after the season ends.
Inevitably I like the black girls, who get cut before the finale so a country-tinged white guy (or occasionally white girl) with guitar can win.

The core fan base of the show is suburban Hausfrau so it’s not surprising 99.9% of recent winners are WGWG’s.

Last edited:
I haven’t missed a single episode of American Idol since the ABC revival. (Katy 😻).
There have certainly been some incredible talent who I thought would go far. I think maybe the only one who has had great success (in the country music world) is Gabby Barrett.

People blame social media etc. for the demise of the talent show genre but usually when you look beneath the surface these breakthrough self-made online stars often have a team of industry experts behind them.

The stand out acts on Idol and The Voice just don't seem to go viral in the way a stand out act on Got Talent still does to an extent. Even pre-social media these shows used to have a life outside the TV broadcast but now they kind of exist in their own little world.

The X Factor in the UK would kind of go the opposite way. They'd have a year with real credible artists who felt current (James Arthur, Ella Henderson) then follow it up with a bland year with a karaoke winner.

Will be interesting to see how this goes though. Possibly it might run alongside BB if they run the live shows weekly alongside BB airing Mon-Wed.
James Arthur is amazing! Love his voice! I stopped watching all the oversea talent shows a long time ago. So didn’t realise he came from X factor.

I can see both sides,
Yes, it does look like a pretty bland, white line-up.
And they all happen to be heterosexual (as far as we know).
But we shouldn't assume that it was intentional.
Sandilands says in that article that he approached people like Snoop Dogg and 50 Cent, who weren't available.

Back