Skip to main content

AJ Mass' theory of Archetypes in Big Brother

Jade: cheerleader, and sort of the senior marriage partner to the sisters.
Ed: trying to be diplomat and mad scientist and old reliable at the same time, and failing
Tahan: she's not completely narcissistic, unlike Tully, but she is a big target, and she does rub people the wrong way.
Tim: mad scientist, x factor. May not be liked by everyone like a diplomat, but he's accepted in all the groups; although Mikk's classed him as a misfit, he's such a powerful player that the 'cool kids' (what is up with this clique-y terminology) want to form alliances with him, or at the very least not get on his bad side. Therefore, he has the X factor, and is probably one of the most influential in the house.
Mikkayla: I'd say she's sort of the junior partner in a marriage of convenience to Tim. She's allied herself to him but at the moment is perceived as less of a threat, and is thus more easily targeted by other HMs. Depending on how she acts as the show progresses she might grow to have the X factor due to the public's interest in her, or maybe the senior partner in a marriage of convenience to the Sisters, which she's already sort of got going now.
Matt: old reliable
Sisters: junior partners in marriage of convenience to Jade and Mikkayla, perceived as weaker and are thus more of a target than the other two. Also cheerleaders for obvious reasons.
Tully: Loose cannon sort of, but she's predictable. As Matt pointed out, when things aren't going her way, she blows up. She's more of a narcissist that way; she's extremely self-centred. Not selfish, self-centred.
Ben: He's either a mad scientist or fresh meat, and he's definitely a ninja. He hears everything.
Drew: trying to be a diplomat and I guess it's working, but he's not really trusted by anyone. He's an information tool for Tim, a guy the remaining meatheads badmouth and would turn on in an instant if they had to, and because of his friendship with Tully isn't trusted by Mikkayla or the rest of the 'misfits'. Jade and Tully are probably the only two who actually trust him at the moment.

Yeah, good choices. Now, what good does this do us? Has anyone read the AJ Mass book? It is based on choosing a good fantasy football team, as this combo seems to work. I only know it from the Rob Cesternino podcasts - on robhasawebsite - and, having determined a set I agree with - even though I can perfectly see the logic behind the other ones - am now unsure what good this does me.

the viewer is the ego, mediating between the id (the animated, instinctive, entertaining part of the show) and the superego (the idealised, aspirational, moral centre of the show)

central candidates for each role:

id: tim, tully, tahan, drew
superego: jade, sisters, ben, mikkayla

which is not to say some people aren't trying to be both (tim), but rather simply identifying which is their stronger perceived role.

by comparison, matt and ed currently fail to own either role. Matt is drifting towards superego, but ed is neither. This weak identification is why he'll go next.

for subsequent evictions, just look at whoever has the weakest case for their (stronger) role and they're most likely to go. to predict how this plays out in the long run, you have to predict the extent to which each can solidify their role and maintain it for the duration. tim's recent struggles and drew's weakening role as id (since disappearing up tully's cloaca) are two examples of this change.

Back