Skip to main content

101 days = 101.75 hours Screened

Goon

Its official Big Brother 2013 ran for 101 days and it showed on our TV screens for 101.75 hours.

That's massive when you look at the likes of My Kitchen Rules approx. 71hrs, The Block approx. 68hrs.

There is no reason why fans complain they don't get enough hours of BB on our screens.

I think fans complain about not enough BB because we have a 30 min show on Friday (thanks a lot bloody NRL) and then nothing at all till Monday. It's not the amount of hours but when those hours are distributed around during the week.

That is an impressive amount of Hours for a TV show though.

The lack of live content and adult content is why people complain about the lack of Big Brother on their screens. I'm not really interested in counting the hours.

Considering it's filmed 24/7, unlike those other shows mentioned, it's a pretty piss poor effort.

I don't care how many hours of BB we get. What I want is long session of unedited viewing.

I want to see them acting naturally, not provoked.

I want a BB for adult (not nudity ect.) I want BB to address us as adults, not children, needing gimmicks to keep our attention.

I wish BB would be like the French version, with less mind games though. They were not enjoyable in 2011.

I don't care how many hours of BB we get. What I want is long session of unedited viewing.

I want to see them acting naturally, not provoked.

I want a BB for adult (not nudity ect.) I want BB to address us as adults, not children, needing gimmicks to keep our attention.

I wish BB would be like the French version, with less mind games though. They were not enjoyable in 2011.

Amen!!!!! Could not agree more. Meanwhile, just make the show 85 days next year. 101 days was way too long by the end of it!

I saw this article you are referring to [MENTION=99]Goon[/MENTION] on news.com.au

www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/ch...r-over-101-hours/story-e6frfmyi-1226766858265

BIG Brother is the king of bum-numbing television with exclusive Fusion Strategy research showing that Channel 9 screened a whopping 101.75 hours of its hit reality series in 2013.

Other Aussie TV couch-killers include MasterChef Australia (71.5 hours), The Block (62.2), My Kitchen Rules (61.75), The X Factor (57.5), and The Voice (42.4).
Those figures blow out even more when daytime and late night repeats are added in.
MasterChef chewed up an extra 67 hours of screen time in repeats with The Block and My Kitchen Rules rolling out a further 40-plus hours out of prime time.

Seven's new renovation show House Rules screened for 31.75 hours but you can bet that will grow in 2014.
"Today long form programming is the backbone of the three commercial networks ratings strategy," Fusion Strategy's Steve Allen says.
"Networks are developing local programs that go beyond weekly drama series into multi-night offerings."

These long-form shows are getting longer every year. The first series of My Kitchen Rules lasted 16 episodes. This year's stretched to a whopping 46.
In 2012, the Big Brother housemates spent 87 days cooped up on the Gold Coast. This year they endured 101.
The first three seasons of The Block aired once per week. These days Nine's renovation series can soak up six nights on the trot. To up the ante, there are now Block spin-offs such as All Stars and Fans v Favourites.

The only show that has gone backwards is MasterChef Australia. It hit a peak of 86 episodes in season three. This year's fifth season was reduced to 65. Mind you, it still rolled out spin-off MasterChef: The Professionals.
The amazing thing is that the long run times don't appear to be hurting the shows' ratings. In fact, they are probably helping.
The Voice and My Kitchen Rules both averaged around 2 million viewers per episode this year.
"The Voice and My Kitchen Rules are the two top programs for 2013 which is remarkable given the sheer number of hours they screened," Mr Allen says.
"Each of these programs has around four times the running time of an imported (British or US) hit drama which is an added bonus.
"Not only do they rate higher, but they often have very attractive demographics - winning in 16 to 39 and 25 to 54.
"The fact that they can even get good ratings in daytime repeats makes them even more valuable."
Breakfast and morning shows are also big bum numb-ers. Today and Sunrise have both notched up more than 1000 hours this year.
News and current affairs are also being stretched with networks introducing a range of extra morning and afternoon bulletins and chat-based panel shows.
Afternoons, in particular, have become clogged with shows including The Daily Edition, The Chase, News Now and 4pm news bulletins.
"Because America, in particular, is providing fewer and less reliable hit shows, there has been a drift to Australian programming," Mr Allen says.

Its official Big Brother 2013 ran for 101 days and it showed on our TV screens for 101.75 hours.

That's massive when you look at the likes of My Kitchen Rules approx. 71hrs, The Block approx. 68hrs.

There is no reason why fans complain they don't get enough hours of BB on our screens.

I don't think anyone is complaining that there wasn't enough BB on our TV screens. They are lamenting the fact that they used to have 24/7 access via live feeds. The show is vastly different from The Block and MKR.

Echoing the above posts, it isn't about the total amount of weekly BB hours, it is about the lack of unedited & live footage.

101 days does set the record for longest BBAU series ever by 1 day, so that is an achievement in itself, but it would have been much more celebrated if the fans weren't denied access to live footage - an hour a night on tv a couple of times a week would've been enough to satisfy most people's desire to have natural & manipulation-free footage of the housemates, I think.

So here's hoping 2014 takes in some of the suggestions - and like the front page article suggests, ease off the editing button when something could be done live *cough* Showdown *cough* Late Night Feast *cough*!

Considering it's filmed 24/7, unlike those other shows mentioned, it's a pretty piss poor effort.
Yep. The production time (ie 24/7) vs aired time ratio is abysmal when compared to the two shows mentioned.

To be fair, The Block is the same. They start filming at around 6am daily if I remember correctly and don't stop until the last person goes to bed with them sometimes pulling all nighters whereas a typical BB day is shorter. And they also go for 3 months so I think it is a fair comparison although I do agree MKR isn't at all.

Amen!!!!! Could not agree more. Meanwhile, just make the show 85 days next year. 101 days was way too long by the end of it!

It was too long because it wasn't interesting enough. I couldn't wait for BB to end this year.

They think we only want to see nudity when we want adult viewing, but that is not the case. We want BB to show us all of what happens in the house.

This year we sometimes saw bits of a conversation, and we expected to see the outcome of that conversation, but we never did. Same with some fights, the HMs talked a bit about it, but we never saw the fighting it self.

This year I had the impression that I was watching a badly written soap. If they want to edit to show us a story, they should write a better one ;) at least

Amen_gif.png

I think fans complain about not enough BB because we have a 30 min show on Friday (thanks a lot bloody NRL) and then nothing at all till Monday. It's not the amount of hours but when those hours are distributed around during the week.

That is an impressive amount of Hours for a TV show though.

I agree here.
Nothing worse than getting ready to watch BB, then realise "oh FFS it's Saturday" haha

Agreeing about the live and unedited footage, out of sequence footage. And the prefabricated, engineered dinners/parties etc with spoonfed questions solely to generate conversations for specific tv shows etc...what's THAT all about?

As an aside MKR is heading in that direction...because it relates to Big Brother by virtue of 1 degree of separation. The fact that Bree Amer is now a casting producer is fitting. It's more like a soap opera than a cooking competition. There was an article in which one of the contestants from the last season said he was approached in an airport and asked if he could cook. He said he couldn't but his partner could. They enlisted him because they liked his "look".

That's 101.75 hours of the produced show. Of that at least a third consists of the presenter on stage - a complete waste.

The portions of the show that I saw didn't make s lot of sense and it was often hard to figure out what was happening. So in total I would say there was about 10 hours of worth while footage.

How much did previous years have? I agree that it's more about quality than quantity though, because some of the better series would have had far less total hours than some of the worst series. Series 6 and 7 were quite long series, plus they had Uplate and FNL, so they would have had a lot more hours of footage than, say, series 1 and 2 which just had the half-hour daily shows and the other basic shows (evictions, nominations and Uncut) - but I would say series 1 and 2 were much better shows.

So roughly an hour a day - presumably including ads. It's a piss poor effort for a show that isn't designed to be a TV show but to be a live 24/7 experience both for the housemates and viewers - and it's ridiculous that something that wasn't a problem for BB's around the world in 2001 (and earlier) is now seemingly a non-starter (not just for BB Aus) now broadband is practically the norm.

Back