Skip to main content

10 PILOT WEEK

kxk

SAPIOSEXUAL
Here is your chance to have TV programming input....
Watch along, and chat here, and get influencing on the net, starts Sunday 8.30pm

TEN locks on Pilot Week

In one of the more exciting propositions in the TV year, TEN has confirmed its Pilot Week will take place from Sunday August 19.

There are 8 new projects to be screened in primetime across the week, all for audiences to pass judgement on.

Spanning a range of various genres they include the previously-teased Trial by Kyle, Disgrace with Sam Dastiyari, a local Drink History adaptation (as revealed by TV Tonight) and Taboo with Harley Breen.

Newly-confirmed titles are comedies Skit Happens from CJZ Productons, Kinne Tonight with Troy Kinne, Dave with Dave O’Neill and a Rove McManus-variety Bring Back… Saturday Night.

Each screening will by introduced by Grant Denyer and Angela Bishop while audience reaction, social buzz and ratings will help decide what shows will return in 2019.Viewers will be encouraged to participate and share their feedback via tenplay and social media.

Beverley McGarvey, Chief Content Officer, Network TEN said: “We are excited to be broadcasting such a fantastic array of unique and entertaining programs under the banner of Pilot Week.

“Involving Australian audiences in whether or not a program gets the green light via tenplay and other social initiatives provides a fantastic opportunity for Australian audiences to have their say in what they want to see on our screens in 2019.

“Pilot Week for us, represents a substantial investment in unique and local production, and further cements Network Ten’s role as the innovator of Australian commercial television,” she said.

Network TEN’s executive general manager, revenue & client partnerships Rod Prosser said: “We are the first commercial broadcaster to be doing anything like this. Pilot Week is an exciting initiative that propels TEN’s position as an innovator. With Pilot Week, we are actively taking audiences beyond broadcast, creating a path for them to continue their engagement with the programs across our digital and social channels.

“It continues our commitment to offering creative, multi-platform and innovative opportunities for advertisers and brands, and makes up part of our strongest schedule of programming over the coming months. It is a fantastic way for us to be supporting the local industry on and off screen.”

The Pilot Week event is a first for a commercial network, and like ABC’s recent Comedy Showcase, hopes to ignite new hit shows. Absent from the list are recent rumours of Dancing with the Stars (which hardly needs a Pilot) and a local version of Saturday Night Takeaway, whilst social media has noted the list is heavily-male dominated.

TEN is yet to confirm specific timeslots along with how programming will impact regular programming such as Australian Survivor.

SHOWS
Skit Happens
Nothing is safe from a Skit Happens parody, when the nations up-and-coming comedians join forces for Network Ten’s first sketch comedy in 12 years. Skit Happens is produced by CJZ.

Dave
Funny-man Dave O’Neil opens the doors to his crazy life in a half-hour narrative comedy. Expect laughter, tears and the appreciation of not being Dave. Dave is produced by Studio Bento.

Kinne Tonight
Comedian Troy Kinne ditches the stress of modern life, bringing hard-working Australians a fast-paced half-hour of laughter. Kinne Tonight is produced by Kinne Productions and Big Yellow Taxi Productions.

Drunk History
Rhys Darby and Stephen Curry pour themselves a drink in the international hit comedy format that takes Australia’s rich, and often surprising history and re-tells it through the words of our most loved comedians and entertainers. Drunk History is produced by Eureka Productions.

Taboo
Taboo has broken audience records in its country of origin, Belgium. The premise is as confronting as it is simple. The very funny Harley Breen spends five days and nights with members of a disadvantaged group in society and uses the experience to perform a stand-up routine about them – with the subjects sitting in the front row. Taboo is produced by Lune Media.

Trial By Kyle
The toughest cases, biggest celebrities and genuine disputes can only be settled by one man, radio shock jock Kyle Sandilands. As Kyle carefully unravels each case, former The Bachelor Australia star and criminal lawyer Anna Heinrich is on hand to assist in forensically analysing the evidence. Trial By Kyle is produced by Screentime Australia.

Disgrace!
The world is full of disgrace and outrae ge. Shunned politician Sam Dastyari and the team behind Gruen and The Chaser manage the latest outbreak of outrage in a half-hour of opinion, insight and laughs. Disgrace! Is produced by CJZ.

Bring Back…Saturday Night
Rove McManus is on a mission to bring back Saturday night entertainment. A chance to reflect on what Saturday night means to Australia – then and now. Young performers will bring back the best of the past and performers of the past are challenged with reinvention. Sketches, guests, music and nothing but feel good moments as Rove finds the comedy and laughs by breaking down the conventions of entertainment and variety television. Join his quest to reunite Australia’s greatest acts, bands, and television faces in a generation bending live television show. Bring Back…Saturday Night is produced by Roving Enterprises.

TEN’s Pilot Week schedule 2018
Most will air at 8:30 or 9pm (exceptions being Skit Happens and Bring Back Saturday Night.)
Audience reaction, social buzz and ratings will help decide what shows will return to Australian television screens in 2019.

Skit Happens. Sunday, 19 August 8.00pm.
Nothing is safe from a Skit Happens parody, when the nations up-and-coming comedians including Jenna Owen, Heath Franklin, Vita Carbone, Stuart Daulman, Janis McGavin, Josh Glanc and Neel Kolhatkar join forces for Network Ten’s first sketch comedy in 12 years.
Disgrace! Sunday, 19 August 8.30pm.
The world is full of disgrace and outrage. Shunned politician Sam Dastyari and the team behind Gruen and The Chaser manage the latest outbreak of outrage in a half-hour of opinion, insight and laughs.
Drunk History. Monday, 20 August 9.30pm.
Rhys Darby and Stephen Curry pour themselves a drink in the international hit comedy format that takes Australia’s rich, and often surprising history and re-tells it through the words of our most loved comedians and entertainers. Starring Gyton Grantley, Ryan “Fitzy” Fitzgerald, Anthony “Lehmo” Lehmann and Gretta Lee Jackson.
Taboo. Tuesday, 21 August 9.00pm.
Taboo has broken audience records in its country of origin, Belgium. The premise is as confronting as it is simple. The very funny Harley Breen spends five days and nights with members of a disadvantaged group in society and uses the experience to perform a stand-up routine about them – with the subjects sitting in the front row.
Kinne Tonight. Wednesday, 22 August 9.00pm.
Comedian Troy Kinne ditches the stress of modern life, bringing hard-working Australians a fast-paced half-hour of laughter.
Trial By Kyle. Thursday, 23 August 8.30pm.
The toughest cases, biggest celebrities and genuine disputes can only be settled by one man, radio shock jock Kyle Sandilands. As Kyle carefully unravels each case, former The Bachelor Australia star and criminal lawyer Anna Heinrich is on hand to assist in forensically analysing the evidence.

Dave. Friday, 24 August 8.30pm.
Funny-man Dave O’Neil opens the doors to his crazy life with on-air wife Emily Taheny in a half-hour narrative comedy. Expect laughter, tears and the appreciation of not being Dave.
Bring Back… Saturday Night. Saturday, 25 August 7.30pm.
Join Rove’s quest to reunite Australia’s greatest acts, bands, and television faces in a generation-bending live television show where young performers will bring back the best of the past, and old-school entertainers will be challenged with reinvention.

Thanks for the thread @kxk. Here are my initial thoughts.

Skit Happens. Long time since we've had a successful skit show, is all I'm saying.
Disgrace! The Gruen connection gives me hope. At least Sam isn't going down the Sky News route. Yet.
Drunk History. The US version didn't grab me.
Taboo. Sounds more like an SBS show.
Kinne Tonight. No opinion really. Some of his sketches that I've seen have be good.
Trial By Kyle. Reluctant to watch anything with Kyle, even as a one off.
Dave. I like Dave O'Neil, but can he act well enough to sustain a show?
Bring Back… Saturday Night. Rove can usually get talented people around him, so maybe.

The only one that interests me is the Rove one really (though I didn't like the movie quiz and wish they'd do more Whovians instead).

...I must admit that I feel the same way Meglos... we are so long overdue for a Variety show of some sort though... thank god that is up for a possible future run hopefully... but I will watch each and every show 'LIVE' and would get a buzz out of it for various reasons I imagine?... so as soon as our favourite shows have finished and then these come on etc I think that it would be great for us to come into here and post 'Live' to either give them the 'thumbs up' or rip the shit out of them eh?... lol!... I will be in this thread 'Live' for each show... and even though I hate Sandilands guts and NEVER watch any shit with him in it I will bite my lip and watch his drivel regardless... it looks soooooo pathetic that I want to vomit and spit chunks but I will watch it... so?... anyone else up for it?... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
I intend to take a quick look at it all, so I can tell them what i think.......make more stuff that is the quality of Survivor, keep taking our Bachelor in a different direction, Casey is what we want :)
And never, ever think of fat Kyle again......will watch this so I can bag it, yes I am pre-judging, as is the pig himself, he expects it to die, he is TV poison
Rhys Darby drunk???? I adore him and his NZ quirk, but in general found this concept boring from UK
I hope Kinne is good, I laugh at his magic basket skit
Have seen Dave live, he was good value, he has a fit looking twin, and he escaped from Frankston.......scary place, his material was good on stage

I intend to take a quick look at it all, so I can tell them what i think.......make more stuff that is the quality of Survivor, keep taking our Bachelor in a different direction, Casey is what we want :)
And never, ever think of fat Kyle again......will watch this so I can bag it, yes I am pre-judging, as is the pig himself, he expects it to die, he is TV poison
Rhys Darby drunk???? I adore him and his NZ quirk, but in general found this concept boring from UK
I hope Kinne is good, I laugh at his magic basket skit
Have seen Dave live, he was good value, he has a fit looking twin, and he escaped from Frankston.......scary place, his material was good on stage

I honestly think they should finish the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise. Sick of the celebrity concept (Sophie, Nick) and for that reason would not want Casey. There is a reason the US version is much better quality and that is because they don't make a joke of the show by putting celebrities on it.

I like our direction......I cannot watch the US Bachelor, it is too cheesy and American, I only just tolerate ours because it is funny and we have Osher
I find it hard to watch ours mostly, the straight up nobodies I have only watched some Richie & most of Matt

I like our direction......I cannot watch the US Bachelor, it is too cheesy and American, I only just tolerate ours because it is funny and we have Osher
I find it hard to watch ours mostly, the straight up nobodies I have only watched some Richie & most of Matt

Interesting. I find ours unbearable. Particularly after they chose Sophie last year and Nick this year... I thought the whole premise of the show is to see the story of some nobodies finding love. Plus, the drama in the US version is so much better. I probably won't be watching any further Bachelor/Bachelorette AU series until they fix the problem.

I thought they had a Footballers Wife type Drama series coming up with Shannon Bennet's wife in it coming up and I was kinda excited about that. None of these shows do anything for me

I honestly think they should finish the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise. Sick of the celebrity concept (Sophie, Nick) and for that reason would not want Casey. There is a reason the US version is much better quality and that is because they don't make a joke of the show by putting celebrities on it.

...yup!... I totally agree with you on this my friend... I think that it's a tad bit overboard with the Celebrity stuff too... it's like having 'Blind Date' with media personalities only and with no 'normal' people at all... the celebs have had their chance of fame... let them go into oblivion... it's like Survivor... that should've never had ex 'champions' on it at all... the whole idea is that we have 'nobodies' on it to find out what they're like for ourselves... having 'ex 'champions' on it made it less intriguing to me to be honest... all we had to do was 'Google' them to find out who they were if we didn't remember who they were from memory... we had only half the fun of finding out what the strangers were like this year... that sucked in my opinion anyway... cheers.

...yup!... I totally agree with you on this my friend... I think that it's a tad bit overboard with the Celebrity stuff too... it's like having 'Blind Date' with media personalities only and with no 'normal' people at all... the celebs have had their chance of fame... let them go into oblivion... it's like Survivor... that should've never had ex 'champions' on it at all... the whole idea is that we have 'nobodies' on it to find out what they're like for ourselves... having 'ex 'champions' on it made it less intriguing to me to be honest... all we had to do was 'Google' them to find out who they were if we didn't remember who they were from memory... we had only half the fun of finding out what the strangers were like this year... that sucked in my opinion anyway... cheers.

Agreed. I am sure that there are plenty of good looking, successful people out there who can fill the role of the Bachelor or Bachelorette. Don't know why they keep choosing celebrities. Actually, I do. For the ratings.. Definitely won't be watching the rest of Nick's season. He is extremely boring in my opinion.

Agreed. I am sure that there are plenty of good looking, successful people out there who can fill the role of the Bachelor or Bachelorette. Don't know why they keep choosing celebrities. Actually, I do. For the ratings.. Definitely won't be watching the rest of Nick's season. He is extremely boring in my opinion.

...I'm dropping out after seeing the 3rd show that I committed myself to... Nicks okay for me... he's quite a nice guy... I'm surprised about that to be honest Affable but I cannot stand all of the bitches a-bitchin' about each other and I'm so over any 'love' style of shows too... I've had enough... cheers.

Well this is where we differ I guess, for this Nick guy is nobody to me, and Sophie is just a RTV has been, I don't view either of them as celebs
I think Bachelor shows need to be cut to about half the length, Bachelor in Paradise longer as it is the most fun

Back