Skip to main content

Masterchef 2024

So they say they don't want pretentious food... but almost everything served up was small, fancy schmancy cuisine. About the only thing I was tempted by was the raspberry tart.

So they say they don't want pretentious food... but almost everything served up was small, fancy schmancy cuisine. About the only thing I was tempted by was the raspberry tart.
Megs, what they say and what they mean are often two very different things, as we know from watching over the years. Their idea of home cooking and my idea of home cooking are very different these days...once I could be bothered with some of the trouble they go to but now nah! The quickest and easiest meals are what's served here but they still need to be tasty without all the fuss...and you can do it with shortcuts.

Gosh, I found that first episode unusually awful. So fucking LOUD. I think it would have been better to ease the new judges in for an ep or so, or even a week, before bringing in Jamie Oliver. I felt for Jean-Christophe, he looked a little crestfallen to be superceded by this "world famous chef" seconds after his own arrival. All the hyping up of the contestants, all the huge teeth showing head-thrown back laughing stuff from Sophia was really offputting. I didn't need lengthy intro packages on multiple contestants, all of whom ended up featured in the edit anyway. Having the first "best dish" get not only the only immunity pin for the season AND the Jamie Oliver UK trip was too much. It was all just too much.

I loved Poh, and Andy, and Jean-Christophe "going rogue" and offering genuine advice to the contestants. But for the first time ever I fastforwarded through a lot of the judging and the final stages of the cookoff - usually (and only in the last few series) that starts for me a few weeks in. I just kept pausing and thinking, I hate this, and I don't care, and can I even be bothered? It was really an offputting start to a season for me.

I love Poh, so of course it's terrific she is now a judge, Sofia is very likeable too.
As for the contestants, too early to tell, but I agree that Nat is one to watch already.

And it's good they've cut out the audition episodes, they are immediately straight into it.
I'm unsure.
I kind of like the auditions, as we see them earn their place.
With this format we're just told they are all good from day one. There aren't going to be any major stuff ups and it's all a bit nice.
Also, giving away the only immunity of the season AND Jamie Oliver to one contestant on night one is daft.

Also, giving away the only immunity of the season AND Jamie Oliver to one contestant on night one is daft.
Yes, rather stupid and quite unfair. I wonder if they'll come up with something else for the contestants to aim for?

I can't see me watching to the end tonight. I'm not a big fan of these challenges.

Back