Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Season 2 is by far the most boring to rewatch. I assume it rated ok at the time but it is evidence of channel10 not giving up on shows straight away. Production really improved things out of sight the following year, mainly with a huge improvement in casting.

I do wonder, at the time did people think the season was boring? It rated pretty high and I’ve always heard people say they loved the season. But I can’t picture a world where this aired and people were happy with it? Maybe because it seems people watched 2001 mostly towards the halfway point? So they didn’t have an extensive amount to compare it to? Well that’s the explanation I have for my mum anyway.

Just a favour for those of us not with the commitment to watch or rewatch the full seasons would those that are be able to flag some must watch episodes along the way for those who might just like to get a flavour of each season.

Just a favour for those of us not with the commitment to watch or rewatch the full seasons would those that are be able to flag some must watch episodes along the way for those who might just like to get a flavour of each season.
I’ll do that as much as I can for clips of Reggie

I do wonder, at the time did people think the season was boring? It rated pretty high and I’ve always heard people say they loved the season. But I can’t picture a world where this aired and people were happy with it? Maybe because it seems people watched 2001 mostly towards the halfway point? So they didn’t have an extensive amount to compare it to? Well that’s the explanation I have for my mum anyway.
At the time I remember really enjoying Jess in terms of entertainment value (I was 14 at the time this aired).

It was funny though 2002 almost followed the kinda final 3 archetype of 2001's finish, except If Jess and Sahra swapped around eviction order, So She kinda filled the Sara Marie role for 2002, although she had more of an in house showmance arc than Sara Marie + Blair did (they had a bit of a thing going right?, but wasn't as much focus iirc as Peter & Christina).

At the time I remember really enjoying Jess in terms of entertainment value (I was 14 at the time this aired).

It was funny though 2002 almost followed the kinda final 3 archetype of 2001's finish
Thats what makes this season pretty underwhelming. A final 2 of two men, one larger and quieter and the other younger and louder. Mirroring season 1 just makes it too easy to compare.

Pretty sure it’s Patrick’s birthday in season 3. I can’t recall exactly whose it is let alone an episode number but IMO it’s must watch tv to see Jo do her thang.

I feel like I enjoyed it but I also didn’t watch it religiously. I guess I was around 14 and obviously reality tv and just tv in general was a lot simpler as was how we watched tv… maybe it’s boring when viewed through the lens of modern life. Like I guess it was still kind of groundbreaking at the time but it does seem odd to think of it being amazing tv.

I feel like I enjoyed it but I also didn’t watch it religiously. I guess I was around 14 and obviously reality tv and just tv in general was a lot simpler as was how we watched tv… maybe it’s boring when viewed through the lens of modern life. Like I guess it was still kind of groundbreaking at the time but it does seem odd to think of it being amazing tv.
This is a really good point and is the same I have said to friends about watching old school survivor seasons. You can't watch something from 2000 and expect it to be as entertaining as MAFS from 2019 or something like that, obviously television has developed. I still enjoyed 2001 a lot though compared to this. I just struggle to really grasp that this season rated so well with this cast. Maybe it's just the whole idea of Big Brother still being kind of new that had interest staying regardless of the cast.

Why oh why did the audience keep Peter this long? Why. Why did Sahra not make final 3? Why did Marty not win? I just can't with this season.

Edit: Watching the Day 81 daily show where it is Pete's mother's birthday and BB tries to make his day quite enjoyable as possible. Obviously people had their heartstrings pulled and gave into sympathy.

Last edited:
The first American series is still the best rated of the franchise despite it’s reputation for having been boring.

The first American series is still the best rated of the franchise despite it’s reputation for having been boring.
I contemplated watching it when I watched all of the US seasons. But with my main aim being to watch for the purpose of the game I didn't see point in it, maybe one day I will watch it. It was confusing going into BB7 with no idea why this Chicken George man was there.

I contemplated watching it when I watched all of the US seasons. But with my main aim being to watch for the purpose of the game I didn't see point in it, maybe one day I will watch it. It was confusing going into BB7 with no idea why this Chicken George man was there.
I was more of a Survivor fan at the time and it was hard to follow given the fact that it aired 6 nights a week and didn’t have a consistent time slot. One of the main reasons it was renewed and reformatted was online engagement. Unlike Survivor you could go online at literally any point in the day and find out what was going on inside the house. Even if it was people sleeping it was an experience you couldn’t get elsewhere.

Spent my day off smashing out the rest of 2002. About to finish the finale and them compile my thoughts of the season overall.

My overall thoughts on 2002? It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be and I ended up enjoying my re-watch more than my last one three years ago. I definitely did not enjoy this as much as I enjoyed 2001 but really that came down to mostly the cast (and also maybe because the quality of the 2002 episodes on YouTube is really poor which made it hard to watch at times). The series started off slow but by the second week I enjoyed it up until after the double eviction, which is where it really becomes mundane and tedious.

My main issue with the whole season is it’s cast. They just do not bounce off of each other like the 2001 group did and I didn’t really relate to any of them or care enough about many of them. My overall opinions on most of them have ironically increased but it’s just they aren’t an interesting group of people and the major storylines of the season are based on hooking up. Had it not been for Jessica and Nathan I wouldn’t have been able to finish this.

There are aspects of this season I do like, for instance the addition of the nominations show was one of them. It did include minimal parts from the Saturday show with interviews with experts as well as housemate’s past and present and even family members. The more of Gretel I see the happier I remain. I did also enjoy the Big Brother voice developing into a character a little more than last season, with him seeming more authoritative and stricter especially in regards to nominations. I did find it funny whenever he would get annoyed with their woeful nomination reasons.

However, there are many things from this season that I did not enjoy, other than just the dud casting of course. The intruder twist was fine? Maybe if I was watching this live at the time and could actually see more footage of the intruder house, I’d like it more, but I don’t really love twists that introduce me to people and they don’t go in, I just end up thinking about the what ifs which irritates me. I didn’t care for the housemates needing to design the house and purchase furniture, I don’t understand why this was even put in? Did production just not have time to purchase furniture lmao. The big ones were a decant idea and could probably be utilised in a fun way in modern seasons of the show like BBUK19 but for this season it was largely irrelevant. And a real small thing but I hated the house design, too similar to BB1 but then again, I am a viewer who started with 2012 and am used to seeing the house change every series, so those who watched from the beginning probably would not have cared.

The boot order was horrendous with all the loud and argumentative people leaving so soon. It is so weird because seeing Ben, Blair and Sara-Marie in the final three felt right from a narrative perspective. I had been able to watch all three of them form bonds with each other and see them develop along the way, there was such a nice sense of finality to it. However, the final 3 consisting of Sahra, Peter and Marty seems weird and incomplete. Peter and Sahra received little to no storylines throughout the season at all, except for uncut for Sahra, and all of Marty’s development comes from Jess if not maybe Nathan? It’s just bizarre how separate these three are from each other which was also pointed out by Shannon in the Day 79 live countdown special.

I’ll get to my thoughts on the individual housemates soon.

I didn’t care for the housemates needing to design the house and purchase furniture, I don’t understand why this was even put in? Did production just not have time to purchase furniture
Was it product placement for Freedom Furniture? On a related note I didn't understand why they had to paint the bedroom in S1 except as a distraction from looking after the baby dolls.

Thoughts on the housemates and intruders:

Will: I had no interest in seeing him go in.

Nikki: Same as above she seemed boring.

Hayley: Was the only one I would have liked to see go in of the three that didn’t. She appeared to be the type who would call out others and speak her mind, which is what was lacking at the point of the intruder’s entry.

Damian: I actually liked him. He seemed fun in his own way and Turkan saying he was lazy and selfish was amusing to me. He went too early in my opinion and is one of the more likeable early evictees. Shout out to his dad Chan who was referred to a lot on the show and for good reason too.

Katrina: She was not very likeable, really annoying with the tasks and she seemed to be a very controlling and insecure person. The goldfish thing is just a whole meme in itself.

Aaron: I was oddly attracted to him in the beginning but down the road he became so sanctimonious and on his moral high ground about Jess and Marty. He would be the type of person I’d nominate if I was in the house as I’d hate for someone to make me feel bad about fucking up a task. He was really annoying during the life saving task (which is one of my fave BBAU tasks ever, the tasks started off pretty strong in the beginning but then they became very dull and lazy). Whilst I agreed with him somewhat when he needed to go to the toilet while they were locked in the bedroom, he went about it the wrong way and became slightly aggressive at times.

Shannon: Now I actually do not recall her being so invisible? She gets no screen time apart from her argument with Aaron. I liked her more than most on the cast and I’m really puzzled as to why she was evicted over Turkan in week 5? Because she’s a woman with an opinion? Probably.

Nicole: I really liked what I saw of her in the initial video packages of the intruder pieces, but she was nothing other than disappointing when she went into the house. I think we got to see more content of Brodie in her G string than of herself.

Turkan: I did like Turkan, I liked her character, I liked her honesty and I enjoyed her constant interpretations on dynamics of the house and its occupants. The Pete storyline was meh to me and then the whole thing of her wanting to leave really does dampen her as a likeable character. It was such a big storyline for her especially in her last two weeks that when she leaves the whole series seems to just stop. How she survived that week 5 eviction will never be clear to me but wow when she leaves the whole show changes. The dynamics completely shift and the bedroom wars start and this is also where we start to see a different side to Nathan. I could have enjoyed her more if she didn’t want to leave, but regardless, when she leaves the season really starts to head south.

Brodie: He was nice, cute and likeable. That’s kind of all I have really. He got screwed by being nominated against the couple but I didn’t care much for him as a character. He kissed Mirabai and that’s kind of it. I didn’t really see the extent of his charisma on the show but hey I’m sure Mirabai knew more than I did.

Nathan: He is probably the second or even best character of the season. Very dynamic with personal content from his life, his position within the house dynamics as well as being a fun character. He was funny which is what I like in a housemate but was also very aware of the nature of the game, he was one of the few who knew how to nominate properly. However, in the week he was evicted I did get irritated with him really trying to lead the group to fail the task and would chastise anyone who displayed opposing thoughts, and I did not agree with him about Jess and Marty “excluding others” being the same about the bedroom situation. But in saying that when he leaves that’s kind of it. The season is dead and it becomes the Jess and Marty show. Without Nathan the only non-romance storyline is Kieran being a dag.

Alex: I found him even more boring this time compared to the other two times I’ve watched. I really was thinking his arc picks up closer to his eviction, yet it never did. I don’t really know anything about him other than the fact his birthday is sometime when the series aired. I didn’t notice his absence at all and I don’t really care to say anything else. However, he was probably the best at nominating and giving concise reasons. He’d probably thrive in the modern format.

Mirabai: I liked her a lot on this rewatch. I have always looked back at this season and thought wow Mirabai was boring, but not this time. I don’t particularly like showmances but she was an interesting little one jumping from Damian to Brodie. It seems she was slut shamed which is sad, I don’t really judge anyone for what they do in the house regarding situations with partners. I haven’t ever been in an experience like that and I don’t know what it’s like to feel the things they feel so I will not pass judgement on her for pretty much cheating on her boyfriend. I liked her hippy vibe, I liked her friendship with Jess and Marty as the three became the rootable underdogs during bedroom wars and I found her lack of skills with household chores comical and relatable. I have drastically increased my opinion on her and had an All Stars been done 15 years ago I would have liked to have seen her included as a random choice. I did not expect to like her as much as I did tbh.

Keiran: I loved him on my first watch, loved him on the second and on this one I haven’t changed my opinion. He’s not conventionally attractive, he’s relatable, can laugh at himself and was a fun presence in the house that did make me laugh. I am not surprised he got the most votes to enter as an intruder and I would say it’s well deserved and earnt. Like Brodie it sucks that he was nominated against the couple, I don’t think he could have won but he would have made those last few weeks more fun than they were. I’d like to see more people like him on reality TV today.

Jessica: Again, like Keiran I loved her again and again and if not more this time. She was the ONLY one who I genuinely found myself smiling and laughing out throughout the course of the season. She has the perfect personality for TV and you could tell she genuinely loved the experience. I don’t really care much for the her and Marty thing as much as it seems many people did, as I think she stands very well on her own as a likeable figure. Robbed 4th place goddess like many other reality TV seasons and her not being in the final week is just sad. She made the most of her time by always having fun and was a dynamic character all around. She was fun on uncut too, I have slim to zero bad things to say about her. Her horrible nominations were so hilariously over the top and her fun-loving attitude is infectious. She made this season. Had it not been for her then I really would have struggled a lot. Just like Sara-Marie, Jessica helps my contention stand that vote to save is better than vote to evict.

Sahra: I don’t have a lot to say about her at all. I do like her, I mean she is likeable and I didn’t not enjoy some of her scenes. But apart from uncut she was just kind of there. The three-person friendship between her, Alex and Nathan also came out of nowhere on the edit. She is to me the definition of neutral if I was to rank every single BBAU housemate.

Marty: I have always thought of him to be so boring. I ranked the runners-up a while ago and put him last. But like Mirabai I have completely shifted my opinion on him. IMO he is the better version of Blair. He was always having fun and was always a likeable presence on the show. I roll my eyes usually whenever someone calls themselves “happy-go-lucky” but I actually think that’s an accurate description of him. He was literally always having fun and smiling on the daily shows and always got involved with house activities. I don’t think I have ever seen a male housemate have such a huge array of different undies as well lmao. He was extremely cute and I can see why Jess fell for him despite his age. To also see a straight male be so comfortable with sexuality in such an early season of RTV is also very wholesome to watch. My opinion on him has skyrocketed from what I went into this having.

Peter: Now here we have my least favourite winner of BBAU and that is including Chad and Marley. Talk about B O R I N G. He got shown talking about his parents and then was in love with Turkan and then disappears for the next 6 weeks to then win. As horrible as I feel for someone to lose both parents so young, I still don’t find him interesting or entertaining. I do not care what the winners of these shows do with the money at all. If they want to help their families go for it, spend it on clothes go for it, spend it on partying go for it or give it away I really do not care. I wouldn’t have voted for him if I could just because he could have used the money to help his family. There’s no reason why any of the other housemates wouldn’t have needed the money the same if not more than he did. I just choose to never really let this impact how I feel about choosing a winner or a rooting interest. There are times where in the series if he was nominated in the right mix up, he probably would be evicted (for example if he was nominated maybe against Sahra or Marty around halfway he probably goes). Him winning is not satisfying to me. I still like to think people were confused on how the voting worked and voting Marty thinking they were voting him to win.

That wraps up my thoughts on 2002. Three years ago, when I intended on doing a full Big Brother rewatch this season took me so long to watch that I did not bother to keep going whilst Uni was on. But now I have made it through and will be continuing on with BB3. Let’s go Reggie!

Mirabai: I liked her a lot on this rewatch. I have always looked back at this season and thought wow Mirabai was boring, but not this time. I don’t particularly like showmances but she was an interesting little one jumping from Damian to Brodie. It seems she was slut shamed which is sad,
I recall people calling her "Mirabike" at the time. Right here on this very forum.

Back