Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

Just watching now on catch up after watching Survivor.

I already LOVE it. There’s something different and special about Idol and they’ve already captured it imo. The simplicity of the auditions, the judges seem to be meshing well and they are showing the good among the bad. I don’t think we need negative TV but having some less than amazing acts helps the great to shine.
I'm really liking Harry's honesty, and surprisingly, Meghan.
Not impressed by Kyle and I doubt that will ever change.

I thought the girl at the end was the best so far.

I'm watching this first, then MAFS, then survivor.
Wonder how that order will change as things progress.

Glad to have Idol back. Same as you Megs, surprised that I liked Meghan as much as I did.
The last girl and the Indigenous girl were great!

Bit more info regarding Lives & Eliminations:

Performance shows with a Top 12 will be filmed at the Coliseum Theatre to screen on Sundays, before a Live Results show on Mondays.

“Being in daylight saving we have to deal with five time zones. The last thing we wanted was to say ‘This is a Sydney / Melbourne show only.’ We give them around 24 hours, so that the whole country can get involved and vote…. the country decides -not Seven.”

One other change from its previous incarnation: don’t expect 12 weeks showcasing the Top 12.

“There might be more than one going home,” he says of weekly Results shows.

Also, Finale looking like it'll be at Rooty Hill, not the Opera House.

Lastly, are there plans for a finale at the Sydney Opera House?

“There’s still a discussion around, ‘Do we try and do something different?’ but currently, it’s planned for where all the performance shows are.”

Meghan and Harry make this. Kyle is a good foil for Meghan. I found the first ep slow, but then I've always found the audition rounds of Idol slow. I wish they didn't show the entire song of the ones they like, especially the caterwauling women (country guy was short and sweet and had his own style). It will be good when they get to the top 50.

The idol premiere completely bombed at 413k, beaten by Survivor over on 10 (447k) with MAFS getting more than double the ratings of Idol at 840k. 7 would have to be severely disappointed in those ratings after all the promotion they gave it, that is BB flop territory.

I am enjoying this, but a few things:

- None of the singers are blowing me away. 2 eps in and not one singer has a voice that has truly impressed me.

- The judges going off to audition one person in their home is stupid and unnecessary.

- The hybrid American / Aussie accent of the announcer at the start and end fucking grinds my gears.

I’m a bit sad they aren’t using the theme music.

However I hold out hope it can climb in the ratings given the quality of the production and the back to basics feel.

- None of the singers are blowing me away. 2 eps in and not one singer has a voice that has truly impressed me.

- The judges going off to audition one person in their home is stupid and unnecessary.

- The hybrid American / Aussie accent of the announcer at the start and end fucking grinds my gears.
I'm enjoying it too but I thought last night was better than tonight.

I still laugh and cry a fair bit (beautiful voices move me).

Totally agree with the rest.

I agree there hasn’t been a Guy or a Ricki-Lee yet, or anyone even close …

The judges going out one by one is a bit of a gimmick but it’s harmless fun.

I’m a bit sad they aren’t using the theme music.

However I hold out hope it can climb in the ratings given the quality of the production and the back to basics feel.

It definitely deserves better ratings! The production is pretty high quality! Not cheap and nasty BB style.

I'm enjoying it too but I thought last night was better than tonight.

I still laugh and cry a fair bit (beautiful voices move me).

Totally agree with the rest.

Last night was definitely better!

Hope you had a great off season Seph! Back and ready for these shows to dominate our lives again haha!

The idol premiere completely bombed at 413k, beaten by Survivor over on 10 (447k) with MAFS getting more than double the ratings of Idol at 840k. 7 would have to be severely disappointed in those ratings after all the promotion they gave it, that is BB flop territory.
That is very poor.

I also like that that (as far as I have seen / remembered) so far they aren’t all past talent show performers. I feel like when I watch the Voice these days they are all past contestants or backing singers or already known somehow. Idol is fresh and this feels fresh! They really are doing it right imo.

None of the singers have impressed me much, but I'm not the target audience.
I like eighties music, and they are never going to find anyone as iconic as those stars.
As a search for a mediocre and photogenic boyband singer or boy-with-guitar, I expect this to follow the script and I don't really care who wins as long as it's reasonably entertaining along the way.
It did make me roll my eyes tonight when they hyped up an ordinary looking 15 year old girl as the next Delta Goodrem.

Bit more info regarding Lives & Eliminations:

Performance shows with a Top 12 will be filmed at the Coliseum Theatre to screen on Sundays, before a Live Results show on Mondays.

“Being in daylight saving we have to deal with five time zones. The last thing we wanted was to say ‘This is a Sydney / Melbourne show only.’ We give them around 24 hours, so that the whole country can get involved and vote…. the country decides -not Seven.”

One other change from its previous incarnation: don’t expect 12 weeks showcasing the Top 12.

“There might be more than one going home,” he says of weekly Results shows.

Also, Finale looking like it'll be at Rooty Hill, not the Opera House.

Lastly, are there plans for a finale at the Sydney Opera House?

“There’s still a discussion around, ‘Do we try and do something different?’ but currently, it’s planned for where all the performance shows are.”

The lack of a full set of live shows is where this is going to fail and where ABC have faulted. Neither the auditions or finals were the problem but the filler in between. AI really started to drag on when they changed the semi-finals round from heats to 3 episodes per week with alternating men/woman performance shows and a results show. Having multiple eliminations in the finals really stifles getting to know the contestants and any growth they might have in the finals process.

A small increase last night in the ratings. The other big 2 shed some viewers. I think it will grow especially as it comes to the live shows.

Back