Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

Yes, a strange hill which to die on.

Do we know if the open auditions in the announced cities are including the judges being in each city or are they just producer auditions?
The Judges are currently touring around the cities at the moment as I heard producer auditions were done earlier in the year

Ricki-Lee did an AGT Q&A on her stories last night. Someone asked if Idol will have a live finale and she responded by shaking her head yes!

I got tickets to 26th Oct Top 50 show but had to decline as I can’t get work off :-(

Hoping to be able to go to at least one if not more live tapings this year.

I got tickets to 26th Oct Top 50 show but had to decline as I can’t get work off :-(

Hoping to be able to go to at least one if not more live tapings this year.

That sucks! Are they still doing the shows at West HQ / Rooty Hill RSL?

I was rather disappointed when I learnt some years ago that Millsy and Paris didn’t actually have sex, purely because he and I share a sexual partner and that is a less exciting claim than being only a few removed from Paris Hilton. But maybe neither is remotely cool?

Anyway, good for him!

It seems like 7 is spending a lot of money on trying to make Idol reboot successful with doing the correct format unlike what they are trying to do with Big Brother after all the complaints and drop in ratings even with bringing back past housemates which didn't even help except get Reggie a second win (who I have loved since her original season and all the stuff that she is going through in her personal life) but was super rigged as the producers knew an OG especially someone as big as Reggie was always going to win if she got to the end again.

Confirmed for Q1 up against MAFS!

Meanwhile Seven has confirmed Australian Idol will take on Married at First Sight in 2023 Q1, including with Live shows.

Not going to be many live shows then as Q1 basically means Feb/Mar. Probably two weeks of audition shows then whatever they do to cut down to the 10-12 for the lives then around 6 weeks of live shows at most.

Not going to be many live shows then as Q1 basically means Feb/Mar. Probably two weeks of audition shows then whatever they do to cut down to the 10-12 for the lives then around 6 weeks of live shows at most.
Yeah this is what American idol does atm.

It’s sad that they won’t be doing one elimination per week with 10 or so weeks of live shows. This is how people really connected with artists. But yeah I don’t really think people would stick around that long these days.

It’s sad that they won’t be doing one elimination per week with 10 or so weeks of live shows. This is how people really connected with artists. But yeah I don’t really think people would stick around that long these days.

The Block seems to have no problem doing 50+ episodes a season and people still tune in. So that's a flimsy excuse, if a show is compelling people will watch.

if a show is compelling people will watch.
100%

Irritates me when TV execs and CEO’s are like ‘oh people’s viewing habits change, they want this and that blah blah’

We want good shows. Make something good and we’ll watch it for 6 months. The problem is you’re serving us shit.

So You Think You Can Dance was in that Q1 slot in 2008-2010, Started with the Audtions/Top 100 to Top 20 cull in early Feb, then the Lives went from about mid-Feb to mid-late April.

Remember in fact our very First season of Idol back in 2003 had a semi-protracted Finals portion too, becuase the Semi Finals were done weekly that year and there was 5 plus the wildcards, we didn't get to the final 12 until late September, so They did Double eliminations for 3 weeks until the Final 6.

It's also going to be different having the finale not be close to Christmas and kindof capping off the year with the Opera House Finale (if its going to happen again) and potential hit single (as mentioned before though the question is can the show reinvigoate somehwere close to that level of hype around it again like the glory days who knows).

X Factor Australia was kinda like that here in the Channel Seven Days and X Factor UK had that kindof format at the end of the year too. Channel Seven's Popstars Live (2004) and X Factor on Channel Ten (2005) were also first half of the year launches, but both also had some behind the scenes dramas iirc. American Idol also moved to that time from the second season too, but they strethed it out till May in their ratings calendar. Lets see how Aus Idol does in this space.

Exactly. It's part of the reason why The Voice has never worked for me and never found a truly breakout star. The UK version has just three (not live) shows now - it's the final this weekend and although I don't watch you'd expect to have at least some idea of who might be in it - but none at all because they're not talked about and the show and promotion is based all around the judges.

Back