Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Woke up with really bad body aches yesterday, and congested/runny nose. RAT this morning looked clear, but after about 30 mins a very very faint line appeared. Which is exactly what happened last time, just 10 weeks ago. So I'll stay in and be good, and retest on Tuesday morning. Fingers crossed I haven't got it again. I mean how? I'm an introvert who hardly ever goes anywhere with people. And I wear a mask when I leave the house. FFS.
As a nurse...viruses are tricky & can hide out in your body waiting for you to be a little under the weather. Thus you need to make sure you get all the rest, full nutrition, hydration & especially do something you enjoy every day. Worry is not conducive to health & know that your friends are wishing you well. Perhaps this tick tok of Tom Sturridge preparing to play Dream in The Sandman might boost your cheer level lol

Last edited:
As a nurse...viruses are tricky & can hide out in your body waiting for you to be a little under the weather. Thus you need to make sure you get all the rest, full nutrition, hydration & especially do something you enjoy every day. Worry is not conducive to health & know that your friends are wishing you well. Perhaps this tick tok of Tom Sturridge preparing to play Dream in The Sandman might boost your cheer level lol
So…. could I have had Covid lurking for any number of weeks and then when I had walked 120 km on the Camino and was a wee bit tired it pounced on me? Or did I just get it on the plane - or is either just as likely as the other?

So…. could I have had Covid lurking for any number of weeks and then when I had walked 120 km on the Camino and was a wee bit tired it pounced on me? Or did I just get it on the plane - or is either just as likely as the other?

Sadly, the simple answer is yes to all your questions. The main lesson to learn is to kee p one's health at tip top shape no matter one's age. We'd all be happier & healthier w/some simple home truths. Sleep well, eat well (any permutation of regular meals to vegan: your choice), stay hydrated & most importantly do something you love every day. Have friends, be a friend & life is so much better. We're all surrounded by pathogens, so keeping ourselves fit is the best weapon. Also, the minute you feel under the weather, believe your body & rest. There is good science & those who choose not to believe are likely to die as deniers. Hope that isn't too much info, dear friends I spend a lot of time w/young folk in end stage Covid. Someone in their family is severely anti vax, so they are the first to suffer. Young folk 20 to 40 shouldn't be dying from something while we have vaccines. BTW, the virus mutates which is why there are boosters. These are bonus good things about science, not bothersome interferences. The best part is that we can now innoculate young kids so we are all safer. Cheers!
Earl Klugh Pretty World & some great pictures

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but also relieved to have worked it out. I've suspected my weird heart racing/palpitations at night were long Covid. But I had stir fried eggplant with tofu (which I consider one of my healthier options, and it is very delicious) the other night for the first time in weeks, and the symptoms reappeared and I finally made the connection. It's the fucking MSG, I am sure of it. And also explains why I only noticed this at night. So I guess my poor little heart is ok after all and I'll have to insist on no MSG in future, even though I love its glossy umami deliciousness. Lesson learned not to jump to conclusions though. Fuck I'm an idiot. 😬

My uncle (83) died (cancer) last week, and the funeral was scheduled for Thursday.
But then his wife (my aunty, 78, with a liver condition), who was in the same nursing home, got COVID, and the funeral is postponed until Monday, because it will be the end of her 5 day isolation period..
Obviously I'm worried about her, but also my parents (mid seventies) who haven't had COVID. There's no way you could expect them not to attend as it may be the last time dad sees his sister, and of course they are going to hug her.
And I can't go myself due to health reasons.
So yeah, worried.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but also relieved to have worked it out. I've suspected my weird heart racing/palpitations at night were long Covid. But I had stir fried eggplant with tofu (which I consider one of my healthier options, and it is very delicious) the other night for the first time in weeks, and the symptoms reappeared and I finally made the connection. It's the fucking MSG, I am sure of it. And also explains why I only noticed this at night. So I guess my poor little heart is ok after all and I'll have to insist on no MSG in future, even though I love its glossy umami deliciousness. Lesson learned not to jump to conclusions though. Fuck I'm an idiot. 😬
Just ease up on the msg, also make sure to drink lots of water (enough to make your pee such a clear & pale yellow you can read a newspaper clipping if you dropped it into the toilet) that should ease your reaction (you are no idiot lol)

My uncle (83) died (cancer) last week, and the funeral was scheduled for Thursday.
But then his wife (my aunty, 78, with a liver condition), who was in the same nursing home, got COVID, and the funeral is postponed until Monday, because it will be the end of her 5 day isolation period..
Obviously I'm worried about her, but also my parents (mid seventies) who haven't had COVID. There's no way you could expect them not to attend as it may be the last time dad sees his sister, and of course they are going to hug her.
So yeah, worried.
Oh Meglos, so sorry that sounds awful. At least try and get them to wear decent quality masks (for all the good they do). She'll likely still be contagious. Big hugs mate.

So yeah, worried.
(((hugs))) & try to ease your mind a bit. If you're a person of faith, know that your uncle is in a better place pain free. Do not fear about appearances or showing up. Your love is so obviously there w/every word you type. Everyone knows you care. Be kind to yourself & just let the love flow whether tears, laughter or whatever may happen. Cheers

Oh Meglos, so sorry that sounds awful. At least try and get them to wear decent quality masks (for all the good they do). She'll likely still be contagious. Big hugs mate.
masks work...just imagine having surgery and no one wears them...icky, right?

I know everyone is exhausted with Covid but this interview is well worth a read:

Au contraire, we must be energized by the progress made by most in surviving Covid. We have an all new & incredibly fast way of creating vaccines. We also have a (mostly) compliant population who now know the value of test, isolating & masks. We'll be that much better at catching the next pandemic before it becomes a mass killer. Those who choose to ignore the restrictions can fare ill on their own. Our children's children can look forward to better protection & an healthier future imo. cheers

Back