Skip to main content

The Death of Queen Elizabeth II & Ascension of King Charles III

Love her or hate her it is the end of an icon. May she Rest In Peace.

I do think it’s a bit too soon to be talking about the King even if there technically is one now although I can’t say I’m exactly thrilled that his consort will be titled as a Queen given the circumstances and what happened with his uncle.

It's always the way - the monarchy is continuous and hence there is no break from one to the next, as cruel as it is to get the dream job you've been waiting for all your life on the day your parent dies.

Liz Truss has referred to him as "King Charles III" which seems to be the first sign he'll take that as a regal name (there were suggestions he'd take another name). All other communication has just referred to him as "His Majesty the King", though reporters are struggling to get their heads around that. He's already been announced as "His Majesty the Queen" twice on ITV.

It's always the way - the monarchy is continuous and hence there is no break from one to the next, as cruel as it is to get the dream job you've been waiting for all your life on the day your parent dies.

Liz Truss has referred to him as "King Charles III" which seems to be the first sign he'll take that as a regal name (there were suggestions he'd take another name). All other communication has just referred to him as "His Majesty the King", though reporters are struggling to get their heads around that. He's already been announced as "His Majesty the Queen" twice on ITV.
I understand he is now the monarch I just think a bit of sensitivity around talking about it is required given how soon after the death of the previous and longest reigning monarch has passed. There will be more than enough time to usher in this new era after we’ve all had a bit of time to process this loss.

As for his regal name I think had this happened in the 90’s or early 2000’a he’d be more inclined to have changed it but now that most his controversy is behind him sticking with his given name seems fitting. I don’t anticipate William will change his either.

I think most the public have moved on from that and accepted Camilla - there has been very little backlash to her being "Queen Consort" ever since that plan was announced.
Oh I’m sure they have. It’s just my personal opinion. There are two factors that I consider relevant. Camilla didn’t use the Princess of Wales title out of respect for Dianna and I think the same should apply to her new title (even though Dianna was never Queen consort) and the fact that the main reason Charles was even able to be King is because another person is because another person abdicated to marry a divorced person (something he should considering himself lucky to have been able to do). That said it’s not a big deal at the end of the day.

Oh I’m sure they have. It’s just my personal opinion. There are two factors that I consider relevant. Camilla didn’t use the Princess of Wales title out of respect for Dianna and I think the same should apply to her new title (even though Dianna was never Queen consort) and the fact that the main reason Charles was even able to be King is because another person is because another person abdicated to marry a divorced person (something he should considering himself lucky to have been able to do). That said it’s not a big deal at the end of the day.
I agree that it feels a little off. But I think any objection was probably quashed when the Queen herself, at her Platinum Jubilee, said that she wished Camilla to be known as Queen consort when Charles becomes King.

I agree that it feels a little off. But I think any objection was probably quashed when the Queen herself, at her Platinum Jubilee, said that she wished Camilla to be known as Queen consort when Charles becomes King.
Oh definitely. I wouldn’t expect him to no honour her wishes. Not sure if there were any conversations about this behind closed doors but I would hope he advocated for just accepting a different title.

Last edited:
Ohhh. I feel quite sad. Its a strange beast, the Monarchy, but I grew up with Queen Elizabeth being ‚the Queen‘. She was just always there.
There’s a one liner from a Japanese YouTube personality who called the Queen “England Grandma” when asked who she was. Right now I definitely feel like those of us who grew up in the commonwealth lost a grandmother. (Jumbled mess I know but I’m sure you’ll get the point)

ETA: The one liner is at 1:42

We'll see how it pans out but I think there will be an emphasis on her being "Queen consort" rather than just "Queen Camilla", although she will be crowned Queen Camilla.

We'll see how it pans out but I think there will be an emphasis on her being "Queen consort" rather than just "Queen Camilla", although she will be crowned Queen Camilla.
I have no doubt she’ll be Queen consort due to the Queen’s wishes that she should be. Although in my opinion Princess consort was all she should have been entitled too given the circumstances.

Iconic for sure. My beloved great grandmother is the same age and how amazing that five generations in my family can all remember the same monarch, I don’t imagine we will see that again any time soon.

That was the first news I woke up to in the early hours. A text telling me from my sister. It was a shock, as only yesterday there was footage on the TV about her resting up in Balmoral, and I said to my partner, it'll be strange when she goes, as she's been there all our lives. And he just said she's not going anytime soon. And today - gone!

The republican's will be happy.

I had a vision in my head of Camilla jumping up and down saying, yay, I'm gonna be Queen!

RIP Lilibet ❤️

Back