Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

I would be more excited if it wasn't for the upper age limit of 28.

I don't really like young people *

* said half-jokingly, but I I don't listen to music by people half my age

I would be more excited if it wasn't for the upper age limit of 28.

I don't really like young people *

* said half-jokingly, but I I don't listen to music by people half my age
Oh come on Meglos you're not retirement home material yet!

I wonder if it can still produce a star? I wonder if things have changed too much. I don’t see why not. As long as they keep their OG format where any rando can walk past the building and audition instead of inviting failed singers like the voice. That always felt like the key to me.

Interesting article and while I agree in essence I still think it will take a long time for the record labels/radio stations etc to embrace it fully. I don't know about streaming services because I don't use them for music at all. My music is purely from Youtube and radio for the brief time I'm in the car travelling to and from work. I like a lot of new music by the "youngins" and some not so much. But yeah...I'm old and probably ready for a retirement home anyway! Haha!

I’m super glad they are bringing it back. I still remember joining the forums for the show. Did anyone else? I hope they still go to all the towns so people can audition, I loved seeing the contestants react to the town and seeing the scope of Australia through the auditioning process. And yes, please keep the panel locally based. The panel kept the show alive back in the day for me, the weird and quirky vibes and Marsha being the mother with all her love towards the contestants. Can you tell im so happy to see the show back 😂

No Marcia, sorry Bleachy!

Sandilands also claimed he was heavily involved in recruitment for his three co-judges, while he ruled out Osher Gunsberg’s return as host due to his multiple Channel 10 hosting duties.

“They can’t sign on someone else unless I sign off on it … I’m not going to be doing the show with a bunch of knobs,” Sandilands said.

“I’ve got a long list of knobs I won’t work with. I’d like at least one other Australian, and I would love a big name US and a big name UK, but it all depends, everyone’s touring around … But there’s a lot of big stars interested.”

When pressed by Jackie whether any of the original judges would be returning, including Marsha Hines, Ian Dickson and Mark Holden, Sandilands said, “No, none of them.”

No Marcia, sorry Bleachy!

Sandilands also claimed he was heavily involved in recruitment for his three co-judges, while he ruled out Osher Gunsberg’s return as host due to his multiple Channel 10 hosting duties.

“They can’t sign on someone else unless I sign off on it … I’m not going to be doing the show with a bunch of knobs,” Sandilands said.

“I’ve got a long list of knobs I won’t work with. I’d like at least one other Australian, and I would love a big name US and a big name UK, but it all depends, everyone’s touring around … But there’s a lot of big stars interested.”

When pressed by Jackie whether any of the original judges would be returning, including Marsha Hines, Ian Dickson and Mark Holden, Sandilands said, “No, none of them.”
He then went on to Say he liked Marcia and wouldn’t mind her coming back.

I like Marcia too.

I'm thinking Rikki-Lee might get the gig, either Judge or Host. She is contracted to Channel 7 by way of AGT.

As long as Sonya isn't anywhere near it, I'll be happy!

I’m not keen on Kyle judging, but also he has a say on who judges, which really, I’m not keen on either. I do love the idea of an original contestant judging. They do need to be judges that have some originality, heart, and entertainment value imo

I’m not keen on Kyle judging, but also he has a say on who judges, which really, I’m not keen on either. I do love the idea of an original contestant judging. They do need to be judges that have some originality, heart, and entertainment value imo
I say no to former contestants judging. Bring them back as mentors or maybe the odd guest judging but not as a full time judge. I like seeing former contestants go on to bigger and better things but they’re not bigger than the show that made them.

I really think the show needs to return to its roots and find truth undiscovered talent. The judging panel stocked with actual industry insiders. People that are going to be honest, frank, and actually critique the performances.

Last edited:
OG idol had it right, the judges shouldn’t just be famous singers but a mix of industry professionals. Even Kyle was kind of a good choice in this sense. Please don’t make it like the voice where all the focus is on the coaches, I would love to just see record executives instead but it will never happen.

I say no to former contestants judging. Bring them back as mentors or maybe the odd guest judging but not as a full time judge. I like seeing former contestants go on to bigger and better things but they’re not bigger than the show that made them.

I really think the show needs to return to its roots and find truth undiscovered talent. The judging panel stocked with actual industry insiders. People that are going to be honest, frank, and actually critique the performances.
I actually totally agree with this. At first I did think it would be cool to see fan favourites, but you’re right in saying that they can mentor. A good reference since they have been in the contestants shoes before and can offer supper only they can understand.

It worked with idol the first time when the judges were industry insiders so yeah they should stick to that formula. The whole thing with the critiquing of performances and judges being honest, does need to be tread lightly though, because I do agree with jessy girl in that I don’t want it to be about the judges only. So I guess big names on the panel won’t be the way to go, so I def don’t think Kyle would be a good mix for some reason. The panel itself will need to be balanced as well. Paula from Americans idol and Marcia from Australian idol had the same nurturing qualities which balanced the harder judging like Simon and Dicko. Mark Holden was so out there and mixed with the other two it worked so well.

The thing with idol, we could vote early on. I’m not sure if it’s going to go that way, so I’m expecting changes to happen. I’m excited for it regardless because I do think the singing format would definitely be better than the other shows that came after.

I actually totally agree with this. At first I did think it would be cool to see fan favourites, but you’re right in saying that they can mentor. A good reference since they have been in the contestants shoes before and can offer supper only they can understand.

It worked with idol the first time when the judges were industry insiders so yeah they should stick to that formula. The whole thing with the critiquing of performances and judges being honest, does need to be tread lightly though, because I do agree with jessy girl in that I don’t want it to be about the judges only. So I guess big names on the panel won’t be the way to go, so I def don’t think Kyle would be a good mix for some reason. The panel itself will need to be balanced as well. Paula from Americans idol and Marcia from Australian idol had the same nurturing qualities which balanced the harder judging like Simon and Dicko. Mark Holden was so out there and mixed with the other two it worked so well.

The thing with idol, we could vote early on. I’m not sure if it’s going to go that way, so I’m expecting changes to happen. I’m excited for it regardless because I do think the singing format would definitely be better than the other shows that came after.
I do tend to disagree that the original show wasn’t about the judges as much as it was about the contestants… They just had a better balance between the two. At the end of the day it all worked out because it was the public who made the ultimate decision.

I do tend to disagree that the original show wasn’t about the judges as much as it was about the contestants… They just had a better balance between the two. At the end of the day it all worked out because it was the public who made the ultimate decision.
I think the big difference is that these days the judges are current artists who have something to plug. Our original judges table wasn’t like that. Maybe Marcia put out some stuff during her time on Idol but it certainly didn’t feel like that’s what she was there to promote.

Imo that’s definitely what it feels like now.

I think the big difference is that these days the judges are current artists who have something to plug. Our original judges table wasn’t like that. Maybe Marcia put out some stuff during her time on Idol but it certainly didn’t feel like that’s what she was there to promote.

Imo that’s definitely what it feels like now.
The reason for it is a problem across reality TV in general… Networks don’t want to out in the work to produce quality shows anymore they rely on gimmicks and recruiting talent with established fan bases to put in ratings.

Back