Skip to main content

BBUK returns Sun 8 Oct 2023 (and Celeb BB back in 2024)

I mean the show was only announced as returning at the start of the week and I’m already tired of Marcus Bentley doing the absolute most to remind everyone that he wants his job back. I think the chances of him returning are pretty high, but it would be awfully embarrassing for him if they went in a different direction after campaigning so hard online to return.

Mike Goldman did exactly the same. I'm really hoping for the same outcome, though minus the pathetically weak incarnation of "Big Brother" doubling up as narrator.

I mean the show was only announced as returning at the start of the week and I’m already tired of Marcus Bentley doing the absolute most to remind everyone that he wants his job back. I think the chances of him returning are pretty high, but it would be awfully embarrassing for him if they went in a different direction after campaigning so hard online to return.
He seems to think he’s showing us he’s so iconic that he’s irreplaceable but really all he’s doing is proving just how insufferable he is.

Aside from Rylan he’s really the only one of the former on-air personalities tweeting about BB. Emma hasn’t tweeted, Davina hasn’t, and neither has Dermot. Rylan at least has the class to clarify that he’s only tweeting out of love for the show and that he’s not been approached. Marcus is tweeting out of an inflated sense of self worth. While he’s still got some supporters I doubt anyone would really be that upset if he were replaced.

So fucking excited!! Although I much prefer longer series as I think that's when we get to see interesting dynamics and see people for who they really are, and all their sides and facets.

So fucking excited!! Although I much prefer longer series as I think that's when we get to see interesting dynamics and see people for who they really are, and all their sides and facets.
Sadly I don’t think we’ll see the series expand to more than 8 to 10 weeks of this first series is a success. The days of 3 to 4 month series has long since passed. TBH the only series I have watched in full have been the short run series.

Well it was always on a 15 minute delay. Really in 10 series of live feeds the number of issues was relatively small, and even where complaints were attracted they were generally rejected - and the two main controversies (BB5 Fight Night, CBB5 racism) saw C4 fall foul on technicalities and more on what wasn't shown rather than what they actually broadcast.
You’re correct but unfortunately a lot of TV executives don’t see it that way. They only see the times live feeds have been controversial.

That said ITV have a lot to gain from reviving live feeds, and they don’t seem to be pushing anything controversial. Obviously they won’t be fueling drama by alcohol, and I’m sure any misconduct will be addressed in an appropriate manner. Realistically they should have nothing to worry about.

I'd be devasasted if he was.

Sadly I don’t think we’ll see the series expand to more than 8 to 10 weeks of this first series is a success. The days of 3 to 4 month series has long since passed. TBH the only series I have watched in full have been the short run series.

I've always found 11 weeks the optimum - 13 was always a bit too long, 9 not quite enough. However I think 9 weeks (which is what BBUK was for four years) would be fine moving forward, even 8 weeks. 6 or 7 does feel like you're being sold short.

I know there are supposedly no plans for Celebrity Big Brother at the moment but if it goes well I think it's inevitable it'll get a run on the main channel. If they do I think making it a shorter commitment (2 weeks rather than closer to 4) could be useful in terms of casting.

I'd be devasasted if he was.

I've always found 11 weeks the optimum - 13 was always a bit too long, 9 not quite enough. However I think 9 weeks (which is what BBUK was for four years) would be fine moving forward, even 8 weeks. 6 or 7 does feel like you're being sold short.

I know there are supposedly no plans for Celebrity Big Brother at the moment but if it goes well I think it's inevitable it'll get a run on the main channel. If they do I think making it a shorter commitment (2 weeks rather than closer to 4) could be useful in terms of casting.
BB19 is the only civilian series I’ve watched in full which was roughly 7.5 weeks. They probably could have done another roughly 2 weeks but any longer and the series would have gone a bit stale.

I don’t mind a shorter snappier series as long as the cast is adjusted for the series length. BB19 had too many backloaded evictions with a double in week 5 and one just before the finale. Taking in to account that there was one HM who walked and two ejections the cast was far too bloated.

There’s not a single case where 13 weeks worked for me. BB7 they had to bring back the ex-housemates, BB8 had the sham that was the ‘halfway house’, BB9 brought in Rex’s girlfriend and BB10 saw 3 of the 6 late-comers walk. Apart from BB7, I didn’t make it through a full 13 week series without my interest waning in the last few weeks.

6 weeks IS short. I’d be happy with 9-11, but for a reboot series I would rather it be too short than drag on and have the audience numbers (and my personal interest) drop.

I know that they are airing a one-off second I’m a Celebrity series in 2023. In 2024, maybe they’ll air a Celebrity Big Brother in that slot if the ‘23 regular series works out.

Sometimes leaving viewers wanting more is a good thing - BB Canada being just 10 weeks is probably always one or two weeks too short, but it means it moves along at a nice pace and doesn't drag out like the 100 day BBUSA series have in recent years - though they've chopped a couple of weeks off this year.

Marcus seems to have appointed himself the official spokes person for BB.

Another article where he claims to be quietly confident he’ll be asked back.

Marcus seems to have appointed himself the official spokes person for BB.

Another article where he claims to be quietly confident he’ll be asked back.

While Big Brother originally aired on Channel 4, it moved to Channel 5 in 2011 with Emma Willis presenting before the show was cancelled seven years later.

Poor Brian Dowling, so utterly forgettable. He was dreadful. Why they even gave him a second season hosting was just unfathomable.

While Big Brother originally aired on Channel 4, it moved to Channel 5 in 2011 with Emma Willis presenting before the show was cancelled seven years later.

Poor Brian Dowling, so utterly forgettable. He was dreadful. Why they even gave him a second season hosting was just unfathomable.
IMO did this to himself. Rumour has it that Emma was always the first choice but they wanted Brian involved and he wouldn’t accept hosting BBOTS.

IMO did this to himself. Rumour has it that Emma was always the first choice but they wanted Brian involved and he wouldn’t accept hosting BBOTS.
They should have told him to fuck off from the start. I don't think I've ever seen someone so awkward, uncomfortable and unsuited to hosting as him on any show, ever.

Brian’s era as presenter will always remind me of showgirls dancing, “ruuunwayyyy” and “don’t vote if you’re watching on catch up… you’re too late.”

Just awful. It was a combination of awful scripts and hideous production ideas, but also his inability to adapt/ his inexperience.

His USP was ‘I have the insider knowledge of what it means to be a housemate’. But if you can’t provide even the basics alongside that, there’s no point in hiring an ex-housemate.

Back