Skip to main content

BBUK returns Sun 8 Oct 2023 (and Celeb BB back in 2024)

I really like this remixed theme. It’s not a drastic departure from the original but definitely better than the 2018 remix. Given that titles are rare these days I don’t expect the series will have a full intro so this theme is the prefect post recap pop.
Here I was thinking this version of the theme was a recent remix… It’s not. I do hope they keep it for this series. I’d also like to see a version of this intro used as a tension bed. It gives me a bit of a BBAU theme vibe.

The Telegraph is claiming they’re bringing back live feeds to drive ITVX subscriptions, for which I say TOP SHIT 🎉

Big Brother originally featured a 24-hour live feed, so fans could watch events inside the house at any time. Should it make a comeback? “Totally,” says Osborne. “That was the original innovation. Being live on the internet was a crucial part of the show’s DNA. You could watch the highlights on TV but if you had the time, inclination or fervour, you could go online to see the housemates in all their glory and stuff that didn’t make the edit for TV.”

ITV2 are launching streaming service ITVX later this year and will use the Big Brother live feed to drive subscriptions. “That’s a smart move,” says Osborne. “We’ve still got the live feed here in America. You have to pay for it but not much. UK fans still clamour for it to be brought back.”

East says a live feed would be pricey but worth it. “It’s not cheap to run because you need someone with legal and compliance training monitoring it 24/7,” he explains. “Remember the birdsong that used to cut in and out? But if ITV can make it work budget-wise, the live feed is great fun. It’s voyeuristically fascinating from the social experiment point of view. The day of Nasty Nick’s reckoning [series one’s Nick Bateman being exposed for rule-breaking] was brought about solely because of the live feed. That was reality TV at its best. With social media now in place too, it would just be phenomenal.”

If anyone wants to read the full article, 12ft.io is your friend.

The Telegraph is claiming they’re bringing back live feeds to drive ITVX subscriptions, for which I say TOP SHIT 🎉

I’m only seeing live feeds being discussed by uninvolved parties. Neither Jamie East or Paul Osborne have been linked to the ITV revival. I definitely think it would be a smart move for ITVX but I’m unsure their plans include live feed.

I’m only seeing live feeds being discussed by uninvolved parties. Neither Jamie East or Paul Osborne have been linked to the ITV revival. I definitely think it would be a smart move for ITVX but I’m unsure their plans include live feed.
Specifically:

ITV2 are launching streaming service ITVX later this year and will use the Big Brother live feed to drive subscriptions. “That’s a smart move,” says Osborne. “We’ve still got the live feed here in America. You have to pay for it but not much. UK fans still clamour for it to be brought back.”

Which sounds like the Telegraph making the claims it’s happening towards East/Osborne during the course of the interview rather than baseless speculating. As someone also doubtful of whether they’ll bring live feeds back, I’ll take any piece of hope I can get, dammit.

Specifically:

Which sounds like the Telegraph making the claims it’s happening towards East/Osborne during the course of the interview rather than baseless speculating. As someone also doubtful of whether they’ll bring live feeds back, I’ll take any piece of hope I can get, dammit.
You’re right. That said until ITV confirms it I’m going to remain sceptical.

It very well could go either way… IMO live streaming is a smart investment both in driving subscriptions to ITVX and ensuring the success of this revival. That said it’s a large investment and increases the chances of negative press. CBS is a rarity in terms of epscaping regulatory scrutiny in terms of their live feed content. OFTCOM would most definitely hold ITV accountable.

I do think the inclusion of live feed is more crucial than ever before.

- The show is going to NEED press interest to get people watching again, and the press have a hell of a lot more to talk about when there is around-the-clock coverage to fill articles.

- It shows the casual fans who left the show during the C5 era that the show is being taken seriously again. Especially those that are looking for a nostalgia-fest. People are excited about Big Brother returning, and even the nostalgia of watching them sleep/ the bird-sound is a novelty people could well want to experience.

- If they are going after the Love Island generation, it’s a smart move. If they get the new generation of fans hooked on the show, they are going to lose their minds when they realise that they can watch the show round the clock. If the love island viewers could watch the show streaming live all the time, they would absolutely go for it.

I’ll wait for official confirmation before I get excited about it, but it would be a real game-changer in how enthusiastic I am about the revival.

I do think the inclusion of live feed is more crucial than ever before.

- The show is going to NEED press interest to get people watching again, and the press have a hell of a lot more to talk about when there is around-the-clock coverage to fill articles.

- It shows the casual fans who left the show during the C5 era that the show is being taken seriously again. Especially those that are looking for a nostalgia-fest. People are excited about Big Brother returning, and even the nostalgia of watching them sleep/ the bird-sound is a novelty people could well want to experience.

- If they are going after the Love Island generation, it’s a smart move. If they get the new generation of fans hooked on the show, they are going to lose their minds when they realise that they can watch the show round the clock. If the love island viewers could watch the show streaming live all the time, they would absolutely go for it.

I’ll wait for official confirmation before I get excited about it, but it would be a real game-changer in how enthusiastic I am about the revival.
I agree and with all the positives we’ve been hearing about this revival I’m sure ITV have seriously considered what live feeds could do for this series. That said I’m definitely waiting for an official confirmation before getting excited.

You’re right. That said until ITV confirms it I’m going to remain sceptical.

It very well could go either way… IMO live streaming is a smart investment both in driving subscriptions to ITVX and ensuring the success of this revival. That said it’s a large investment and increases the chances of negative press. CBS is a rarity in terms of epscaping regulatory scrutiny in terms of their live feed content. OFTCOM would most definitely hold ITV accountable.
Not 100% sure but I think as an online stream it would very beyond OFCOM's remit. Putting it in the subscription tier would help too so people are less likely to watching by chance.

Not 100% sure but I think as an online stream it would very beyond OFCOM's remit. Putting it in the subscription tier would help too so people are less likely to watching by chance.
Realistically they could avoid any issues by simply having the feeds on a delay and filtering controversial content. That said it’s clear that this simple concept has been too much of an ask for a lot of broadcasters.

Well it was always on a 15 minute delay. Really in 10 series of live feeds the number of issues was relatively small, and even where complaints were attracted they were generally rejected - and the two main controversies (BB5 Fight Night, CBB5 racism) saw C4 fall foul on technicalities and more on what wasn't shown rather than what they actually broadcast.

Back