Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Been a bit slow with my 04 watch, been too busy enjoying the Gold Coast. I’m a bit disappointed with how slow the beginning is, and I don’t remember the cast being as bitchy as they are. The boys are all also copies of each other.

Gretel has been a lot more passive with interviewing so far, I was shocked to see she wasn’t aggressive with Igor.

A question I do have for anyone that would remember or know, is why was uncut for starters only 30 minutes in 2003? And why did it move to Wednesday’s in 2004? And what was going on before the Sunday eviction shows in 04 where there was no sunday daily shows until week 4?

Also watched the fight between Merlin and Igor. I feel really sorry for Merlin, he was clearly a sensitive emotional guy and being stuck in house full of blokey guys would make me struggle. I understand logically with what Paul was saying to him about him not being an Australian citizen but really it’s just a piece of paper, if you’ve lived here since childhood and you feel in your heart Australian then you are Australian.

I could not imagine this scene at all going down well in today’s world. There’s having a discussion but then there’s pushing a person too hard which is what Paul did. I really remember hating Paul really early on and I kind of feel the same way.

Just rewatching 2005 and I feel like the twin twist was executed so poorly.

What they should have done is introduce Logan twice to the audience (one halfway through and one at the end), make it like Groundhog Day, play the exact same VT, ask the exact same questions, don’t draw any attention to the fact he’s already been revealed and act like everything is normal. Logan Dave enters the Waiting Room like everything is normal BUT Logan Greg enters the Isolation room with a TV playing footage from the Waiting Room - this is the moment the audience gets to find out for themselves what the twist is instead of just straight up telling us later in the show.

There should have been a live feed of Logan’s activity for the other to watch in Isolation so they have a fair chance to catch on to inside jokes and conversations to pick up later. Even a Logan clip compilation for the other to watch in there would’ve been sufficient..

Considering they were selling the 2005 series around the imposter - the house should have been designed around the need for discreet and seamless switches, take advantage of the animal enclosure, use the announcements of hot water being turned on or store rooms being opened as a chance for Logan to slip off unnoticed for a switchover seeing as everyone is preoccupied with hot water and foodies

They really fucked this twist up from the get go.

Just glancing through a BB4 thread on W'pool. References to using Realplayer to watch streams, and a link to a Krystal page on Geocities made me laugh.

And: This will be the last BB, if not the next certainly will be.

And: This will be the last BB, if not the next certainly will be.

So was 2004 overall looked at rather negatively by die hard fans? I’ve always known it to be generally favoured by many. I think my bias for this season is incredibly heavy. I can understand that it is straying away a lot from what big brother initially was. Maybe that’s why?

To me I’ve known 2004 to be what big brother is, but obviously for those who watched from the start 2004 is on its way to feeling like a different show than 2001.

So was 2004 overall looked at rather negatively by die hard fans?
I started reading the thread. It starts after the season was first announced, to the usual chorus of "why? BB sucks!" etc. Followed by misogynistic comments about Gretel (or should I say "Gretal"). Then as the twist got announced, it was "who cares? What difference will that make?". Some hatred for Aphrodite and Igor. Then I lost interest.

The thread is broken up into parts. You should find where you're up to and read along as you go, to give you insights into what people were saying bitching about at the time.

Been a bit slow with my 04 watch, been too busy enjoying the Gold Coast. I’m a bit disappointed with how slow the beginning is, and I don’t remember the cast being as bitchy as they are. The boys are all also copies of each other.

Gretel has been a lot more passive with interviewing so far, I was shocked to see she wasn’t aggressive with Igor.

A question I do have for anyone that would remember or know, is why was uncut for starters only 30 minutes in 2003? And why did it move to Wednesday’s in 2004? And what was going on before the Sunday eviction shows in 04 where there was no sunday daily shows until week 4?

Also watched the fight between Merlin and Igor. I feel really sorry for Merlin, he was clearly a sensitive emotional guy and being stuck in house full of blokey guys would make me struggle. I understand logically with what Paul was saying to him about him not being an Australian citizen but really it’s just a piece of paper, if you’ve lived here since childhood and you feel in your heart Australian then you are Australian.

I could not imagine this scene at all going down well in today’s world. There’s having a discussion but then there’s pushing a person too hard which is what Paul did. I really remember hating Paul really early on and I kind of feel the same way.

Yes 2004 really was very slow I found. It had a few big moments but took a while to really draw me in, after 2003 was so good I found 04 much harder to watch. It’s funny how some seasons can be so good but others miss the mark.

there’s a 20 minute snippet of the fight unedited when they played it on uplate. Almost everyone had a little one on one pep talk with Merlin (even Trevor!). I think Paul was just wanting to labour the point to stir for the sake of it. Maybe like Ben 2003 it was also a mental exercise for something to do a little bit as well.

It’s kinda funny too Krystal goes to Ashalea ‘just leave him to cool down for a bit’ then not one moment later goes straight to Merlin for a hug and pep talk.

Finally halfway through 2001. Happy Anita got to stay over Rachel. To be fair this was the first ever season, but lord… you were homesick about seeing your boyfriend?!? Anyways Sara-Marie’s a real one, literally love her and can’t stand how much she’s been nominated. Christina & Peter’s relationship is the equivalent of a shitty episode of The Bold & The Beautiful… please make it stop 😭 Anyways, Andy & Gordon robbed way too early. Ben’s been a great watch, but a little confused on how he ended up being the front runner to win :/

Just rewatching 2005 and I feel like the twin twist was executed so poorly.
It really was. In the US they didn't reveal at first who the twins were and had a couple of decoy housemates who were also twins. They revealed who was in the twin twist during the first eviction, but didn't reveal it to the housemates until either the 4th or 5th.

As we know they messed up the reveal and the consequences completely - indeed what were the stated consequences at the beginning of being found out? I assume had they been successful they would have remained as individual housemates - which probably would have split the vote towards the end and lessened their chances of winning, unless keeping the "Vote to Evict" system right through to the end meant they became the final two by default.

Back to 2004 though and though it had a few moments my memory of the time is it was pretty much a dud.

As we know they messed up the reveal and the consequences completely - indeed what were the stated consequences at the beginning of being found out? I assume had they been successful they would have remained as individual housemates - which probably would have split the vote towards the end and lessened their chances of winning, unless keeping the "Vote to Evict" system right through to the end meant they became the final two by default.

Yeah playing as a Duo also had its own set of advantages in avoiding nomination and some FNL as they found out, which is part of why they later held the 'choose one' eviction with the housemates. Karen/Krystal resolved itself in that regard rather quickly in 2006 (Karen was the 2nd Eviction boot).

And then IIRC Hayley/Andrew were successful as well in 2007 but still were forced to self-evict one of them by the mid point of the season (much earlier than the Logan's were split up). I think Hayley should've stayed over Andrew, with the foresight of if only shifting the gender dynamic a little from the bit of a Sausagefest it became (and they tried to prevent by having the (questions arising could this come off as sexist?) Male only nominations/booting Andrew and Thomas in a double), but I think she also had a bit more entertainment factor.

Jade and Drew in 2013 being the reverse of this twist (having to act as if they were married), but than after all that ended they were in pretty divergent storylines for the rest of the season IIRC; and we also had the Sugar Sisters playing as one the same year.

Last edited:
I think Paul was just wanting to labour the point to stir for the sake of it. Maybe like Ben 2003 it was also a mental exercise for something to do a little bit as well.
Yeah I'm watching a bit of the Day 32 Daily Show now and they've just started the Watermelon drop task, Paul is snarking with Bree over whether to bet 100% of the budget, next scene, He's in the Diary Room saying he's bored and is gonna throw the task just to watch everyones reaction. BB warns him he understands he'll get a strike if he does, and this is what the A-Plot of this episode looks like its gonna be. At first I thought he was talking about fake threatening to walk and seeing what the other housemates think.

It really was. In the US they didn't reveal at first who the twins were and had a couple of decoy housemates who were also twins. They revealed who was in the twin twist during the first eviction, but didn't reveal it to the housemates until either the 4th or 5th.

Back to 2004 though and though it had a few moments my memory of the time is it was pretty much a dud.
The fact that BBUS succeeded while BBAU failed shows the difference between something well planned and executed and an obvious gimmick.

Yeah playing as a Duo also had its own set of advantages in avoiding nomination and some FNL as they found out, which is part of why they later held the 'choose one' eviction with the housemates. Karen/Krystal resolved itself in that regard rather quickly in 2006 (Karen was the 2nd Eviction boot).

And then IIRC Hayley/Andrew were successful as well in 2007 but still were forced to self-evict one of them by the mid point of the season (much earlier than the Logan's were split up). I think Hayley should've stayed over Andrew, with the foresight of if only shifting the gender dynamic a little from the bit of a Sausagefest it became (and they tried to prevent by having the (questions arising could this come off as sexist?) Male only nominations/booting Andrew and Thomas in a double), but I think she also had a bit more entertainment factor.

Jade and Drew in 2013 being the reverse of this twist (having to act as if they were married), but than after all that ended they were in pretty divergent storylines for the rest of the season IIRC; and we also had the Sugar Sisters playing as one the same year.
I think what Brekkie was trying to get at was the fact that having them remain but as a single HM was an after thought. The twist was intended to last much longer and likely would have resulted in the twins entering the house as individuals. There wasn’t much thought about them failing the task or how failure would be handled. Especially after such a short time.

I think what Brekkie was trying to get at was the fact that having them remain but as a single HM was an after thought. The twist was intended to last much longer and likely would have resulted in the twins entering the house as individuals. There wasn’t much thought about them failing the task or how failure would be handled. Especially after such a short time.
Ah yeah; I'd have to go back and watch if they had always intended to reveal it as part of the first week Sunday show because of no eviction and what would happen if they were found out.

And then IIRC Hayley/Andrew were successful as well in 2007 but still were forced to self-evict one of them by the mid point of the season (much earlier than the Logan's were split up)
Even earlier if memory serves me correctly? I think it was around week 5 or so, after Demet got evicted and basically called out the "Save and Replace" twist for the bullshit it was when you consider Andrew, Billy and Hayley knew each other before the show and could basically continue to save each other in a slow march to the end.

indeed what were the stated consequences at the beginning of being found out? I assume had they been successful they would have remained as individual housemates - which probably would have split the vote towards the end and lessened their chances of winning, unless keeping the "Vote to Evict" system right through to the end meant they became the final two by default.
At the start the consequences given for failing the task were given as that they would both stay in the house, but as one housemate, until they were either evicted as one or won as one. Once they had failed and remained as "Logan", towards the end they decided to fuck with it and pulled the "Logan Eviction" out of their ass (which was determined by the housemates).

I never understood why both David and Greg were allowed to compete in Friday Night Live each week. If they were one housemate, only one of them should have been playing each week. I guess they just didn't think it through properly in the event of a failure like Kingston said. 🤷‍♂️

I never understood why both David and Greg were allowed to compete in Friday Night Live each week. If they were one housemate, only one of them should have been playing each week. I guess they just didn't think it through properly
Hard to believe this didn't come up at a production meeting prior to the first Friday night after they became "one HM". Surely when planning or setting up the games, someone would have asked the question?

Back