Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

How am I passive?

Oh do you mean when I “like” comments I find amusing....
and I am too lazy to post an actual comment
Generally I am too lazy to type more than once or twice a day

Agree @timmydownawell best ever election to watch, scary at first, then overnights exciting, so close dramas, exultant good v evil, it has been thrilling, entertaining, inspiring, confusing, weird and wonderful
Last few days have been FUN

However, it is terrifying that there are 70 million stupid and crazy people in USA
(Ie trump voters)
And it is clear Americans are not united, and they have still not overcome their civil war

Love Karmala what a great inspiring class act, USA is very lucky to have her, look forward to her one day becoming President

Thanks for that. But that article is over 4 years old. Im not saying we are not dependant but look currently. As in 2020.
It may be four years old but you don’t just flick a switch and reform your economy overnight.

This article describes the notion of diversifying Australia’s as “wishful thinking”

It may be four years old but you don’t just flick a switch and reform your economy overnight.

This article describes the notion of diversifying Australia’s as “wishful thinking”

Economies have drastically changed. Covid has thrown a giant spanner. The whole world is in flux due to it and many of the worlds economies have been thrown upside down. Its not a pleasant feeling for any country in the world right now whilst we citizens have to bare a "wait and see' approach.
Economies now have drastically changed due this bastard pandemic. The long standing effects of which will echo for decades to come.
We can only speculate as to what is now and what is to come. That includes the "experts". Truth is, nobody really knows what is to come.

Economies have drastically changed. Covid has thrown a giant spanner. The whole world is in flux due to it and many of the worlds economies have been thrown upside down. Its not a pleasant feeling for any country in the world right now whilst we citizens have to bare a "wait and see' approach.
Economies now have drastically changed due this bastard pandemic. The long standing effects of which will echo for decades to come.
We can only speculate as to what is now and what is to come. That includes the "experts". Truth is, nobody really knows what is to come.
I meant reform as in diversify...

You’ve yet to explain how your economy isn’t intrinsically linked to China.

I meant reform as in diversify...

You’ve yet to explain how your economy isn’t intrinsically linked to China.
Why are you arguing for the sake of arguing? Of course it is. I said as much in previous posts that we are dependent.
As most of the worlds economies are. I was just disputing that we are not the single most dependent in the whole world as you even acknowledged you were exaggerrating in your previous claim. This is not a pissing contest. I really dont understand your angle. The whole world is changing in front of our very eyes. What was will never be the same again. No point in disputing history no longer really relavent to what is rapidly changing now.
Perhaps you worry about your adopted homeland and we will worry about ours.
We all have great challenges ahead.

Agree @timmydownawell best ever election to watch, scary at first, then overnights exciting, so close dramas, exultant good v evil, it has been thrilling, entertaining, inspiring, confusing, weird and wonderful
Last few days have been FUN
I was hooked on it. Election night (US time) was perfect for me as I am 12 hours ahead of NY time, so I was getting up just as East Coast polls closed. I watched about 15 hours straight and still went to bed around 11pm. Definitely an election junkie.

Reactions: kxk
I am a news junkie, I often wake up at 4am to watch all of the news from different countries
and this election has been very satisfying......non stop coverage suits me
However, I cannot stand Stan Grant, I wish he would piss off again, or get sacked
He is a lightweight intellectually and he does not fit the abc, he is abc international analyst
Why?
He never says anything interesting, original or acute

I have just google who is Australias biggest trading partner and it said China

I googled who is Chinas biggest trading partner and it said USA. Australia was seventh.

This second link also says China is the over ruling trading partner of many countries and provides a list from 2016 which I am guessing since the article above also is from that year must be the most up to date statistics on the subject.

I am a news junkie, I often wake up at 4am to watch all of the news from different countries
and this election has been very satisfying......non stop coverage suits me
However, I cannot stand Stan Grant, I wish he would piss off again, or get sacked
He is a lightweight intellectually and he does not fit the abc, he is abc international analyst
Why?
the ABC live news blog (on thier website) has been a handy feature! Kept me upt to date and they had a sense of humour. I like the map on thier website too.

Why?
Do you watch Planet America? Chas and John are very good. I am quite sure their show only got such a good run because Trump got elected in 2016. They should thank him for that! So much content. 😁 They're going to have to work a lot harder after January.

image.png.236b5deadb50a5953b046ef469a78b69.png

Why are you arguing for the sake of arguing? Of course it is. I said as much in previous posts that we are dependent.
As most of the worlds economies are. I was just disputing that we are not the single most dependent in the whole world as you even acknowledged you were exaggerrating in your previous claim. This is not a pissing contest. I really dont understand your angle. The whole world is changing in front of our very eyes. What was will never be the same again. No point in disputing history no longer really relavent to what is rapidly changing now.
Perhaps you worry about your adopted homeland and we will worry about ours.
We all have great challenges ahead.
I’m not arguing for the sake of arguing... You keep trying to negate the point I’m making without backing up your claim.

Australia is the most pro-China country in the western world. At least economically.

Perhaps I over exaggerated a little... But the Australian economy is still very dependant on China for its stability.

. Im not saying we are not dependant

Of course it is. I said as much in previous posts that we are dependent.

I googled who is Chinas biggest trading partner and it said USA. Australia was seventh.

This second link also says China is the over ruling trading partner of many countries and provides a list from 2016 which I am guessing since the article above also is from that year must be the most up to date statistics on the subject.
I’m not arguing for the sake of arguing... You keep trying to negate the point I’m making without backing up your claim.
Circular arguments must be your thing not mine. Read the chronology of quotes provided. After your own correction, stipulating you were exaggerrating and then toning down your intial claim we are the most single dependent on china, we both agree that Australia is heavily dependent on china, like most nations in the world.What do I have to negate? You negated your own initial claim yourself, revised it to a more reasonable statement and we both had agreed.
We have bigger things to worry about presently.
I'll leave it at that.
This is just clogging up an interesting thread.

Last edited:
Circular arguments must be your thing not mine. Read the chronology of quotes provided. After your own correction, stipulating you were exaggerrating and then toning down your intial claim we are the most single dependent on china, we both agree that Australia is heavily dependent on china, like most nations in the world.What do I have to negate? You negated your own initial claim yourself, revised it to a more reasonable statement and we both had agreed.
We have bigger things to worry about presently.
I'll leave it at that.
This is just clogging up an interesting thread.
You keep adding “not anymore” to your argument without providing proof.

I also didn’t qualify which part of my initial statement was exaggerated... You’re merely assuming I’ve somehow backed down.

I’m continuing to raise a valid point that you keep trying to negate. The argument isn’t whether there is dependency but what extent.

How much damage can Trump do until inauguration day?
I suspect he will try to do a lot but he is about to find the sicophants will turn on a dime when they know he no longer is the power player, and he will be blocked in doing most, if not all, of what he wants to do.

Back